Coach Andy McCollum to get interview for HC!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Wouldn't that negate CAM's best asset...his recruiting ability? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the HC have the least amount of contact with recruits (due to NCAA rules)?

Good point. But Dabo is Clemson’s best recruiter. Ditto Saban. I’m leery of this possibility though. What HC experience does Mac have?

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
He deserves the opportunity. He is a great recruiter and a proven college head coach.

He meets what many of you are wanting that don’t want CKW. Very sold defensive mind as well.

He also proves that you don’t have to be an under 40 to be an effective recruiter. It’s such a myth. Everyone on here loves the way Cut recruits at Duke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Only thing I'll say about Coach Mac is that a lot of his players seemed to have a lot of respect for him. I remember after both the Orange Bowl win and TaxSlayer Bowl wins on the field, he was busy because players (presumably seniors) kept coming up to him to give him a hug and say thanks and take a picture with him. I forget exactly who all the players were except for TaxSlayer Bowl, PJ Davis looked specifically for Coach Mac after the game. I probably have pictures of this.

Woodstock

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that the best thing to do for the program would be to hire Coach Mac as Assistant Head Coach in charge of recruiting; and, then give him enough assistant to do a real job of national recruiting (six? a dozen?)

This would be a massive upgrade to the program regardless of who the new Head Coach is.

All it will take is a dump truck load of money.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Folks, don't you think for one minute that $$ might be playing into this. CPJ wasn't making anywhere near the top tier, and I know we can probably afford at least that much, but I am sure Todd knows that we need to be able to pay the assistants more as well. I like Andy, and if that happens, I will support the team, as I would have for any coach, but if this is more than precursory, $$ are playing into it, although I am sure a lot of the current players would love to hear this, for security and peace of mind. Also, like everyone said, he might be able to hold some of our recruits, if not most.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Only for the haters. It’s not as if any huge rockstar coaches have been mentioned in consideration. Several intriguing ones but none that are obvious future Hall of Famers. So it’s kind of silly to say any who have been mentioned are anti-climatic.

Yes, the good old haters argument. Because wanting a change in direction away from .500 football doesn't make someone a hater. But no, hiring a coach that probably no other P5 team is even considering as a candidate and is only done because of his recruiting, because we've recruited so well while he was here, and the fact he wouldn't change much, because that is going to build excitement, is anticlimatic. It'd be hiring to not make a change, and yes, that's anticlimatic no matter how you spin it.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, the good old haters argument. Because wanting a change in direction away from .500 football doesn't make someone a hater. But no, hiring a coach that probably no other P5 team is even considering as a candidate and is only done because of his recruiting, because we've recruited so well while he was here, and the fact he wouldn't change much, because that is going to build excitement, is anticlimatic. It'd be hiring to not make a change, and yes, that's anticlimatic no matter how you spin it.

Lol there are certainly a few on this board who love the haters argument. Because certain people can see a foray further in mediocrity and we don’t want that for the program we support. That makes them a hater.

Honestly those of you supporting a move such as this are closer to a hater than anything on this thread because this would certainly kill the program thus your support of it means you hate GT football.

4D chess on you fools!