Clinton Lynch Next Level?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lynch is a better player this season than last, but I really don't think he has a shot at the NFL. He is dealing with some pretty serious limitations that I think some of you just aren't acknowledging. I understand liking him as a TECH man and current player. Heck, I do to. But we need to get real here. He is solid in our system and I am thankful we have him. Let's just enjoy his college years.
Orwin Smith 2.0?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know he's just a sophomore and has two full years of eligibility left (which I assume he'll take full advantage of) but he has really caught my eye. I know he doesn't have the best speed but do you guys think he has a legit shot at getting drafted?

No

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think he has a great shot at getting drafted if he keeps playing the way he is right now. The Broadcasters from the Pitt game were very high on him and mentioned his yards per carry multiple times. I don't care how Tall/Fast/Strong you are if you're averaging over 10 yards per carry someone will take a chance.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
What does it matter? He is a very good player for GT, and they are the team I care about. I am happy for him to be a part of a great tradition.
Because some of us enjoy watching our players succeed at the next level too. It’s also a good recruiting tool to be able to say we’ve put an AB into the NFL (which we haven’t yet. I guess Orwin got closest being on a practice squad).

Speaking of Orwin, I just googled him to see what he’s up to and found this short little interview if anyone’s interested. Looks like he has his own camp for kids.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/high-school/article29462542.html

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This has me thinking about what certain NFL backs would look like as ABs in our system. A guy like Tevin Coleman with the Falcons would absolutely tear it up.

For one of our guys to make it and stick on a team, I think they're going to have to have elite speed and above average hands for the position. They'll also need to excel at all of the blue collar stuff. I'm not sure if we have a guy like this right now.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we have more than 4 pro prospects on our offensive side. Some may not have seen the field yet as well. Devine has some work to do, Burden, Klock, Braun maybe Bryan. Klock, Bryan and Braun are very young remember. JT unfortunately is just too small I think. I don't think he is 5-9 much less 5-11. Yes he is fast but, I don't know. Mills probably, Green maybe. Qua may be too small but maybe. Juene may continue to improve. There are young guys like Dolphus and Philpot too. Maybe Camp.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It depends on how much he improves and the luck of the draw. He is limited on speed and size, which is a draft killer. However, he is a guy that can be elusive and get some yards after contact. His best bet would be as a short yardage reciever in a spread concept in the NFL. The problem is most NFL teams use a TE in this role. Most NFL teams still run a version of the pro style offense too.

My gut says no, but that is not an indictment of Clinton. I am glad he wears a GT hat on Saturday and isn't on another team.

JT's size will be a draft killer for him too.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
This has me thinking about what certain NFL backs would look like as ABs in our system. A guy like Tevin Coleman with the Falcons would absolutely tear it up.

For one of our guys to make it and stick on a team, I think they're going to have to have elite speed and above average hands for the position. They'll also need to excel at all of the blue collar stuff. I'm not sure if we have a guy like this right now.
We actually did recruit Tevin Coleman and IIRC he gave us pretty serious consideration

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he has a great shot at getting drafted if he keeps playing the way he is right now. The Broadcasters from the Pitt game were very high on him and mentioned his yards per carry multiple times. I don't care how Tall/Fast/Strong you are if you're averaging over 10 yards per carry someone will take a chance.

The lead ABs always have high ypc, bc they get option pitches and tosses, with very few chamces for negative plays.

A proper comp might be a slot receiver ypr with the deep breaking routes and go's thrown out.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we have more than 4 pro prospects on our offensive side. Some may not have seen the field yet as well. Devine has some work to do, Burden, Klock, Braun maybe Bryan. Klock, Bryan and Braun are very young remember. JT unfortunately is just too small I think. I don't think he is 5-9 much less 5-11. Yes he is fast but, I don't know. Mills probably, Green maybe. Qua may be too small but maybe. Juene may continue to improve. There are young guys like Dolphus and Philpot too. Maybe Camp.

If 4 of our OL are pro prospects then sewak really needs to go. I dont see what u do though.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If 4 of our OL are pro prospects then sewak really needs to go. I dont see what u do though.

LOL ain't that the truth. CPJ has only had one OL drafted that he recruited - and he was MUCH better then any of our guys now, and he was only a 4 rounder.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL ain't that the truth. CPJ has only had one OL drafted that he recruited - and he was MUCH better then any of our guys now, and he was only a 4 rounder.

Fwiw, that's not necessarily a strike against him. We've had an extremely efficient rush-based off with only future NFL players at WR, after 2010.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Fwiw, that's not necessarily a strike against him. We've had an extremely efficient rush-based off with only future NFL players at WR, after 2010.

It wasn't meant as a swipe at CPJ, I was just putting into perspective how realistic it is to expect 4 of our o-lineman to have NFL potential.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't meant as a swipe at CPJ, I was just putting into perspective how realistic it is to expect 4 of our o-lineman to have NFL potential.

Of course its not realistic nor true

Just like this offseason folks on the board posted that this was the deepest D under cpj. The most athletic secondary ever under cpj. Etc etc. the best dl etc people love to see whats not there sometimes as fans because we wish it were true or have those glasses on. No biggy

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Nope, sorry don't see it that way. I don't think any of them at the PRESENT time project to the NFL. Just me, others may differ. That is not to say most of them are very good players in OUR system because they are. All of them need to improve but that can be said about a lot of college players. The defense is just plain lacking talent and there is little to be done there. I don't see any of them with the exception of Gamble having a shot at the NFL. This is, of course, pure conjecture on our part as some of these players are very young and could improve greatly. We will see.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know he's just a sophomore and has two full years of eligibility left (which I assume he'll take full advantage of) but he has really caught my eye. I know he doesn't have the best speed but do you guys think he has a legit shot at getting drafted?

Thanks for the positive question. My answer is, I hope so. I would expect that if he continues to develop from being one of our best today, that he will have a good chance of making a roster to get a look but be un-drafted.