Clemson wants us out of the ACC

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
That snake doesn't look dead yet.
Snakes alive! No, it was not dead. We would catch them and put them in a lard can or in a feed sack. Had to be pretty quick to not get bit. Assistant coach Dwane Morrison thought that may be why I had such quick hands. We would sell the snakes to the Ross Allen Reptile Institute in Silver Springs FL for a dollar a foot at the annual snake roundup.

Sorry to stray from the basketball sports talk, but snake hunting was a sport in southwest Georgia and only the quick and agile survived. And after all, we are in a dead zone for most sports activities. And every Tech athlete has a story to tell, since all are special in many ways.

My dad after his time ended at Tech in 1930, traveled (hitch hiked) from Canada to Aruba selling magazines and working on a oil boat, then went back home to became a lifetime farmer. The depression changed the futures of many Tech alumni. His 1930 Blueprint was my first coloring book, to his chagrin.
1718804524880.png

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
You got it right. There is nothing like southwest Georgia, including the rattlesnakes of Whigham and syrupmakers of Cairo. My dad was an avid rattlesnake and wild game hunter, Tech alumnus of 1930. Both Whigham and Cairo are in Grady County. A number of great athletes came fro Grady County. I am appreciative to Georgia Tech for enabling me to be part of that group, the only Tech man among a large goup of UGA bulldogs and one from UCLA.
View attachment 16287View attachment 16288
View attachment 16286
IMG_7170.jpeg

This is my F-I-L with one he “found” on the farm in Grady County, just north of Cairo. He wasn’t a catch and release guy with either snakes or fish!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 16290
This is my F-I-L with one he “found” on the farm in Grady County, just north of Cairo. He wasn’t a catch and release guy with either snakes or fish!
Please keep posting the names of these places. You guys are providing a roadmap of places I intend to avoid for the rest of my days! No offense to your home intended, of course :D

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Whigham, as in the World famous Whigham rattlesnake roundup, Whigham?

I married a girl (who I met at Tech) whose parents were from Cairo and who (her parents) retired there. Learned how to hunt (well, still not much of a shot when the dove fly), properly pronounce Pee-can, how to split wood, and how to chop cane for cane syrup In Grady county after I got married.
Did you learn how to breath in gnats without it bothering you?