Clemson wants us out of the ACC

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I can't say that I know you Mr. Taylor, but I like you even more with this shared tidbit.
Thank you Mr. Relict. I am a relict myself, myself, according to Mr. Webster, a thing which has survived from an earlier period or in a primitive form. My earlier period on the court for the primitive form Georgia Tech basketball was over a half century ago, 1968-1972. Things were much different then, as most know. Plus, there is little evidence of those days. The morning Atlanta Journal and the evening Atlanta Constitution in supportive of Tech Basketball, with Furman Bisher and Lewis Grizzard leading the efforts.

We were on TV very few times, first time vs. UCLA in Pauley Pavilion with Whack Hyder's Rich Yunkus team getting a 121-90 lesson from the fourth of Coach Wooden's national championship teams. That game had our two players who made the pros against their six who did, including Henry Bibby, who I tried to gaurd. The other 5 TV occasions were in New York playing in the elite 8 and finals of the NIT in 1970 and 71. The finals were on national TV. But always Al Ciraldo on the radio.

Ten players made the travel squad and every starter had a back up sub ready to play in all situations. There were two other scholarship teams working to make the traveling squad, practicing in the Freshman. The game was different then. No dunking, no three pointers, nor shot clock. Lots of Princeton type shuffle offenses that were interesting to watch and play. Academics were equally as important as basketball, as evidenced by Coach Hyder having every scholarship player who played for four years graduating, except one, a 99% rate.

We all played our best for Georgia Tech the school, Whack Hyder our coach, and for each other, win or lose. And we were generously rewarded for our efforts thoughout our lives. the 1969-70 states with Yunkus' best year at 30 PPG and 12 rebound average. https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/gtstats1969-70.pdf

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Mr. Relict. I am a relict myself, myself, according to Mr. Webster, a thing which has survived from an earlier period or in a primitive form. My earlier period on the court for the primitive form Georgia Tech basketball was over a half century ago, 1968-1972. Things were much different then, as most know. Plus, there is little evidence of those days. The morning Atlanta Journal and the evening Atlanta Constitution in supportive of Tech Basketball, with Furman Bisher and Lewis Grizzard leading the efforts.

We were on TV very few times, first time vs. UCLA in Pauley Pavilion with Whack Hyder's Rich Yunkus team getting a 121-90 lesson from the fourth of Coach Wooden's national championship teams. That game had our two players who made the pros against their six who did, including Henry Bibby, who I tried to gaurd. The other 5 TV occasions were in New York playing in the elite 8 and finals of the NIT in 1970 and 71. The finals were on national TV. But always Al Ciraldo on the radio.

Ten players made the travel squad and every starter had a back up sub ready to play in all situations. There were two other scholarship teams working to make the traveling squad, practicing in the Freshman. The game was different then. No dunking, no three pointers, nor shot clock. Lots of Princeton type shuffle offenses that were interesting to watch and play. Academics were equally as important as basketball, as evidenced by Coach Hyder having every scholarship player who played for four years graduating, except one, a 99% rate.

We all played our best for Georgia Tech the school, Whack Hyder our coach, and for each other, win or lose. And we were generously rewarded for our efforts thoughout our lives. the 1969-70 states with Yunkus' best year at 30 PPG and 12 rebound average. https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/gtstats1969-70.pdf
I may have seen you play. Don’t remember many games (didn’t follow basketball much then) but as a freshman in 1970, I recall some of my fellow students talking me into going to some games to see if we could score 100 points - which we did from time to time. Yunkus was quite the star player. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I may have seen you play. Don’t remember many games (didn’t follow basketball much then) but as a freshman in 1970, I recall some of my fellow students talking me into going to some games to see if we could score 100 points - which we did from time to time. Yunkus was quite the star player. Thanks for sharing your stories.
Wow. I am honored that you may have seen me play, maybe in a 100-point game. WE had 2 in 1970, Southern Illinois and North Carolina. I was that shortest guy on the team at 5'11" and was in 1969-70 was 1st sub at guard because Coach Hyder played the seniors as us youngsters developed. As a soph, I played behind senior John Veryzer, who fouled out most games. I transitioned from forward to guard that season as I graduated from the freshman team, having averaged 20 ppg and 10 rebounds, to varsity, where Coach Hyder explained I was to play defense and get the ball to Yunkus and not to worry about scoring. No problem with that for me in that role. in helping Rich become the still leading scorer at Tech in just 3 years. My junior year was promising for a starting position, but I had a high ankle sprain at Thanksgiving and was out a few weeks. With 9 other traveling team players capable of starting, I was unable to regain the chance to start. But that was ok, since half-game playing time came my way and we won games. And I graduated in 12 quarters (4 years) to keep the draft board away (not NBA), and I was commissioned in ROTC and went directly into the Army in 1972, retiring in 2000.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Ignorant as well. The Clemson cow college has not done well against the 10th avenue trade school over the years. For the all -time football series, Georgia Tech leads, 50–36–2. They are 14 years away from breaking even. They are probably still mad because Tech hired John Heisman away from them.

Growing up on a farm and wanting to leave the farm, early on I developed a distaste for Clemson and their fans. It was ugly playing basketball there because of their fans. Their basketball vs Tech is better at 67 wins and 49 losses, more wins since 1950 that any other school they played. The fans should like that. We did take pleasure on Jan 8 1969 at the grand opening of their brand new Littlejohn Coliseum at 5:50 when our freshman team played theirs. They had brand new uniforms for the occasion and had 6 scholarship freshmen. We had three on scholarship and beat them 81-67. Of course there was never a press clipping of that first game. I enjoy telling my grandkids that I scored the first basket in an official game at Littlejohn, and Clemson lost to Tech.
Tech beats Clemson at the opening of Littlejohn Coliseum to the GT Freshman team. but Clemson beat the varsity by 4

Attachments

• 1718595130665.png
    1718595130665.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1718595166566.png
    1718595166566.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1718595196741.png
    1718595196741.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 20

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow. I am honored that you may have seen me play, maybe in a 100-point game. WE had 2 in 1970, Southern Illinois and North Carolina. I was that shortest guy on the team at 5'11" and was in 1969-70 was 1st sub at guard because Coach Hyder played the seniors as us youngsters developed. As a soph, I played behind senior John Veryzer, who fouled out most games. I transitioned from forward to guard that season as I graduated from the freshman team, having averaged 20 ppg and 10 rebounds, to varsity, where Coach Hyder explained I was to play defense and get the ball to Yunkus and not to worry about scoring. No problem with that for me in that role. in helping Rich become the still leading scorer at Tech in just 3 years. My junior year was promising for a starting position, but I had a high ankle sprain at Thanksgiving and was out a few weeks. With 9 other traveling team players capable of starting, I was unable to regain the chance to start. But that was ok, since half-game playing time came my way and we won games. And I graduated in 12 quarters (4 years) to keep the draft board away (not NBA), and I was commissioned in ROTC and went directly into the Army in 1972, retiring in 2000.
I remember the team. My memory is fuzzy but is it a false memory that Tech had two brothers who both played basketball? I think they were a couple years apart. I always liked the way Al Ciraldo emphasized Tomasavich when he scored.

The UNC games stand out for me and Yunkus was a scoring machine who was fun to watch. I was visiting my oldest brother in California when Tech took on UCLA. I was a child so my memories are dim and maybe even false but I seem to recall Thorne guarding Alcindor. I do recall the newspapers the next day referring to Tech as “scrappy” and saying we actually matched up better against them than most of the teams they played. They were so much better than other teams it was like a pro team going JV teams most games.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember the team. My memory is fuzzy but is it a false memory that Tech had two brothers who both played basketball? I think they were a couple years apart. I always liked the way Al Ciraldo emphasized Tomasavich when he scored.

The UNC games stand out for me and Yunkus was a scoring machine who was fun to watch. I was visiting my oldest brother in California when Tech took on UCLA. I was a child so my memories are dim and maybe even false but I seem to recall Thorne guarding Alcindor. I do recall the newspapers the next day referring to Tech as “scrappy” and saying we actually matched up better against them than most of the teams they played. They were so much better than other teams it was like a pro team going JV teams most games.
Jon and Drew Barry both played under Cremins. That is probably the guys.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete

Your memory is pretty good, Northeast. There were two Tomasovich brothers from Wierton, West Virginia who played at Tech. Mike played from 1960 to 1963. Ted played from1966-1969.

Also there were two Thorne brothers who played at Tech. Each played against UCLA. Pete (1965-68) played center against #1 UCLA on Dec 29, 1966. Claiming to be working on his defense, Sophomore Lew scored 18 points and soph Pete Thorne scored 5 in a 91-72 UCLA victory. UCLA went on to a 30-0 season in winning their third national championship. Ted Tomasovich scored 5 points in that game. Jim Thorne (1968-1971) was starting guard when we played #1 UCLA on Dec 29, 1969, along with John Veryzer. UCLA killed us at the guard position, with John Vallely and Henry Bibby scoring 46 points, while our guards had 13. Starters Jim Thorne and John Veryzer had scored 4 points total. I came off the bench and led our guard scoring with 5 points. Our forwards Mayer and Seemer pretty well matched Curtis Rowe and Sidney Wicks, who beat us 43-39. Center Yunkus overwhelmed Steve Patterson, outscoring him 38-11. UCLA went on to win their 6th national championship that season, showing they could win with a great center (Alcinder) as well as win other years with great guards and not so great centers. Coach Wooden's offenses set the stage for today's NBA offensive schemes, capitalizing of the talents of the players he had at the moment. Centers were not the focus if he did not have an Alcinder or a Walton. Coach Stoudamire's play and coaching styles come from that heritage through Lute Olson, who was coaching at Long Beach State in LA dueing the Wooden Years.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Your memory is pretty good, Northeast. There were two Tomasovich brothers from Wierton, West Virginia who played at Tech. Mike played from 1960 to 1963. Ted played from1966-1969.

Also there were two Thorne brothers who played at Tech. Each played against UCLA. Pete (1965-68) played center against #1 UCLA on Dec 29, 1966. Claiming to be working on his defense, Sophomore Lew scored 18 points and soph Pete Thorne scored 5 in a 91-72 UCLA victory. UCLA went on to a 30-0 season in winning their third national championship. Ted Tomasovich scored 5 points in that game. Jim Thorne (1968-1971) was starting guard when we played #1 UCLA on Dec 29, 1969, along with John Veryzer. UCLA killed us at the guard position, with John Vallely and Henry Bibby scoring 46 points, while our guards had 13. Starters Jim Thorne and John Veryzer had scored 4 points total. I came off the bench and led our guard scoring with 5 points. Our forwards Mayer and Seemer pretty well matched Curtis Rowe and Sidney Wicks, who beat us 43-39. Center Yunkus overwhelmed Steve Patterson, outscoring him 38-11. UCLA went on to win their 6th national championship that season, showing they could win with a great center (Alcinder) as well as win other years with great guards and not so great centers. Coach Wooden's offenses set the stage for today's NBA offensive schemes, capitalizing of the talents of the players he had at the moment. Centers were not the focus if he did not have an Alcinder or a Walton. Coach Stoudamire's play and coaching styles come from that heritage through Lute Olson, who was coaching at Long Beach State in LA dueing the Wooden Years.
Tommy, did you know Doug McIntosh? He was the C right before Alcindor came along. Doug was a pastor in the Atlanta area for many years before he passed away some years ago.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Colonel Taylor, thank you for your 28 years of service to America. I hope you don't object to my attachment of an article by Matt Winkeljohn which references your service in Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.

The Focus of the article concerns your research and organization of the "Salute to Service" program which was observed during Coach Pastner's first game as Georgia Tech's Basketball Coach in 2016.

The article tells the story of several other Georgia Tech basketball players who had severed our country. Your research discovered 28 Georgia Tech Basketball players who had served in our Military.

I believe the Swarm members will find this article an interesting read.

Thanks again for your Service!

Attachments

• #TGW_ Tech’s Salute to Service – Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.pdf
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 22

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Colonel Taylor, thank you for your 28 years of service to America. I hope you don't object to my attachment of an article by Matt Winkeljohn which references your service in Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.

The Focus of the article concerns your research and organization of the "Salute to Service" program which was observed during Coach Pastner's first game as Georgia Tech's Basketball Coach in 2016.

The article tells the story of several other Georgia Tech basketball players who had severed our country. Your research discovered 28 Georgia Tech Basketball players who had served in our Military.

I believe the Swarm members will find this article an interesting read.

Thanks again for your Service!
LT, I do not object to your posting the Salute to Service at all. Thank you.

When Josh came onboard in 2016, I noticed that his first game was on Veterans day night in 2016. I called him and presented the idea of honoring Tech 's basketball letterwinner veterans. Josh was very supportive of our military and said yes, of course. He would have his staff and players respectfully honor the flag during the national anthem. We did it again in 2019. A compilation I did of that event is attached. This is just another thing special in the legacy of Georgia Tcch bsketball

Attachments

• Georgia Tech Basketball Salute to Service Nov 7 2019- reduced.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
A great story & a great life. I salute you. Likely I saw you play as well, as my dad took me to a few games at AMC in that time frame. I would have been between 8 & 11 years old and Yunkus is the only player I can recall from that era. I remember laying on the floor in the living room listening to the NIT game, when y’all played. For some reason St. Bonaventure sticks in my mind as the opponent.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
A great story & a great life. I salute you. Likely I saw you play as well, as my dad took me to a few games at AMC in that time frame. I would have been between 8 & 11 years old and Yunkus is the only player I can recall from that era. I remember laying on the floor in the living room listening to the NIT game, when y’all played. For some reason St. Bonaventure sticks in my mind as the opponent.
Thank you. I would have been that shortest guy who looked like a running back and reaked havoc when I entered the game. Al couild call me the Whigham Flash, and a scrappy guard. And Rich was definitely memorable . You did hear Tech play St. Bonaventure in the NIT Semifinals, beating them 76-71 in double overtime in the Garden in front of 20,000 loud New York fans. We played Dean Smith's #13 UNC (26-6 and ACC reg season champs) in the finals. They got there because they lost in the ACC tournament in to #6 South Carolina by 1 and did not get invited to the 25-team NCAA. We got an Invite as an independent for the 2nd year in a row, but voted again on the NIT because we thought we could win it. Coach Hyder was even on the NCAA selection committee. Times were different then when the 16-team NIT was respected and the 10 days in New York was fun.

1718737352991.png

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. I would have been that shortest guy who looked like a running back and reaked havoc when I entered the game. Al couild call me the Whigham Flash, and a scrappy guard. And Rich was definitely memorable . You did hear Tech play St. Bonaventure in the NIT Semifinals, beating them 76-71 in double overtime in the Garden in front of 20,000 loud New York fans. We played Dean Smith's #13 UNC (26-6 and ACC reg season champs) in the finals. They got there because they lost in the ACC tournament in to #6 South Carolina by 1 and did not get invited to the 25-team NCAA. We got an Invite as an independent for the 2nd year in a row, but voted again on the NIT because we thought we could win it. Coach Hyder was even on the NCAA selection committee. Times were different then when the 16-team NIT was respected and the 10 days in New York was fun.

View attachment 16283
Whigham, as in the World famous Whigham rattlesnake roundup, Whigham?

I married a girl (who I met at Tech) whose parents were from Cairo and who (her parents) retired there. Learned how to hunt (well, still not much of a shot when the dove fly), properly pronounce Pee-can, how to split wood, and how to chop cane for cane syrup In Grady county after I got married.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Whigham, as in the World famous Whigham rattlesnake roundup, Whigham?

I married a girl (who I met at Tech) whose parents were from Cairo and who (her parents) retired there. Learned how to hunt (well, still not much of a shot when the dove fly), properly pronounce Pee-can, how to split wood, and how to chop cane for cane syrup In Grady county after I got married.
You got it right. There is nothing like southwest Georgia, including the rattlesnakes of Whigham and syrupmakers of Cairo. My dad was an avid rattlesnake and wild game hunter, Tech alumnus of 1930. Both Whigham and Cairo are in Grady County. A number of great athletes came fro Grady County. I am appreciative to Georgia Tech for enabling me to be part of that group, the only Tech man among a large goup of UGA bulldogs and one from UCLA.
1718766669945.png
1718767177465.png

1718766615328.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You got it right. There is nothing like southwest Georgia, including the rattlesnakes of Whigham and syrupmakers of Cairo. My dad was an avid rattlesnake and wild game hunter, Tech alumnus of 1930. Both Whigham and Cairo are in Grady County. A number of great athletes came fro Grady County. I am appreciative to Georgia Tech for enabling me to be part of that group, the only Tech man among a large goup of UGA bulldogs and one from UCLA.
View attachment 16287View attachment 16288
View attachment 16286
I’ve been to a few rattlesnake roundups but the largest rattler I ever saw was one crossing a highway in Effingham County. Tail in the grass, head on the centerline. Some 40 years ago and my family still talks about it.