Clemson under Swinney

Deleted member 2897

Not sure why there is confusion. Clemson won a lot of games that year with their defense. Dabo is a nice guy. He’s built quite a team. They played a few quarterbacks against us that game. But Snoddy broke his own leg. That was nasty. That’s the last time we beat them. I had cereal for a late snack tonight.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not sure why there is confusion. Clemson won a lot of games that year with their defense. Dabo is a nice guy. He’s built quite a team. They played a few quarterbacks against us that game. But Snoddy broke his own leg. That was nasty. That’s the last time we beat them. I had cereal for a late snack tonight.

They were solid, but they didn't win any games that I can remember when their offense gave up 21 or 14 lol.

This has the making of one of those Swarm threads where a few people get mad at a large group and both just go back and forth over and over. I'm going to leave you boys to it. I fully respect your opinions btw, you very well could be correct in that we win that game even if they have Watson. I just don't agree is all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They were solid, but they didn't win any games that I can remember when their offense gave up 21 or 14 lol.

This has the making of one of those Swarm threads where a few people get mad at a large group and both just go back and forth over and over. I'm going to leave you boys to it. I fully respect your opinions btw, you very well could be correct in that we win that game even if they have Watson. I just don't agree is all.

That game reminds me of our VT game in 2010 when we had momentum with Josh Nesbitt...then he got hurt making a tackle on his pick. We had control of that game in 2010, and Josh was playing at a high level...then we got the wind knocked out of us when he got hurt and an untested Tevin Washington had to take over. I still think we win that game if Josh isn't hurt.

Before Watson got hurt, Clemson's offense was playing pretty well. Watson gets hurt, and their backup comes in and throws 3 INTs...I believe 2 of which were pick 6's. We may very well have won, but Watson's injury completely changed the game for our favor.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Disagree, We were laying the freaking WOOD to Watson everytime he ran the ball, it was almost inevitable that he was going to get hurt the way they kept using him. You never know what would happen, to say we definitely lose if he didn't get hurt is kind of ridiculous.
Don’t think I said that

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has brought up the fact that Stoudt had a bum shoulder. We were very fortunate to win that 2014 game.

Our BEST team in 2009 beat them twice, but those were very close games that could have gone either way. We were very good that good, and so were they.

I'm not trying to marginalize our wins - a W is a W. I'm just saying that Clemson didn't suddenly get really good in 2016.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Well, we agree on that anyway.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I went back an looked at that game, and I had forgotten that it was Watson's first game back after injury. Stoudt had started the previous three games (all Clemson wins) prior to Watsons return. Either way, while he was clearly not as good as Watson, he was hardly the typical backup QB.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dabo has his program rolling now. He is killing it recruiting and his assistants are making so much it will take a whole lot to breaK up his staff unlike Saban. That is the biggest advantage I see now for Clemson. Only thing that may slow them down is the NCAA.

Dabo has his program rolling now. He is killing it recruiting and his assistants are making so much it will take a whole lot to breaK up his staff unlike Saban. That is the biggest advantage I see now for Clemson. Only thing that may slow them down is the NCAA.
Since they are charging $90.00 a seat for visitors (who knows how much for the expensive seats), they may never run out of money. LOL

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I went back an looked at that game, and I had forgotten that it was Watson's first game back after injury. Stoudt had started the previous three games (all Clemson wins) prior to Watsons return. Either way, while he was clearly not as good as Watson, he was hardly the typical backup QB.
As I recall, the first pick-six was by Jamal Golden, and in the post game, he credited extensive film study that helped him recognize the play and identify the go-to receiver. He was sprinting from outside the QB’s field of view to make that interception because he read the play. There’s a good chance would have made the same read and the same pick-six if Watson had been the QB on that play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As I recall, the first pick-six was by Jamal Golden, and in the post game, he credited extensive film study that helped him recognize the play and identify the go-to receiver. He was sprinting from outside the QB’s field of view to make that interception because he read the play. There’s a good chance would have made the same read and the same pick-six if Watson had been the QB on that play.
Maybe, but probably not. Because Stoudt was supposed to do a quick two count and release. He held. And waited. And Golden came up and that was that. Good for us, bad for them.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's assistants problem really isn't money. They can pay as much as anybody. The problem is that it is a miserable place to work. Absolute misery, and Saban apparently is a guy looking for somebody to blame, meaning one or more assistants every year. And I really wish we would stop insinuating foul play is afoot when a football program has success. Human nature I suppose, in that we always assume somebody is doing what we would do in their situation. (As for somebody to blame, Saban should have fired his ownself after that fake field goal against Clemson in the NC. The call, and then they went through with it even when they saw the Clemson defense realigning to it. But the OC caught that dart.)