Clemson under Swinney

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
2009 was the only year Paul had the better team. 2014 we just were fortunate that Watson went down on the 2nd drive, they were about to run us. The other years Clemson Clemson'd, but Paul still deserves credit for those wins. Clemson'ing or not.

Think we had better talent in 08.

First I have heard that the 2014, one win away from CFB playoffs, team was not better than CU due to their QB getting hurt.

We can’t have it both ways. Or maybe we can.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Think we had better talent in 08.

First I have heard that the 2014, one win away from CFB playoffs, team was not better than CU due to their QB getting hurt.

We can’t have it both ways. Or maybe we can.
You need to rewatch the game then. We had no answer for their offense before Watson went down and our O did very little. We scored 2 defensive TDs on Ints off whoever then backup was.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
This. We lose that game if Watson is healthy.

Watch the 2012 Clemson game. We had something like 6 yds of offense the first two times we got the ball. Clemson had a long drive for a FG, and were moving the ball fairly well against us. Then they had a turnover, and couldn't stop the TO after that. A blown offsides call was the only thing that kept us from going up by 4TD's in the 3rd. Point being, you don't know how momentum is going to shift. Johnson was great at feeling out a defense and then making adjustments. As for injuries in that game, if Snoddy doesn't break his leg later in that 2014 game, we put more points on the board against them, I think.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Watch the 2012 Clemson game. We had something like 6 yds of offense the first two times we got the ball. Clemson had a long drive for a FG, and were moving the ball fairly well against us. Then they had a turnover, and couldn't stop the TO after that. A blown offsides call was the only thing that kept us from going up by 4TD's in the 3rd. Point being, you don't know how momentum is going to shift. Johnson was great at feeling out a defense and then making adjustments. As for injuries in that game, if Snoddy doesn't break his leg later in that 2014 game, we put more points on the board against them, I think.
Could be in the 2014 game. Our only offense was on big plays and Snoddy getting hurt may have impacted that. But we couldn’t stop their offense so the question is whether we could have outscored them. Either way we weren’t as “good” as them at full strength which is what the original question was.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Could be in the 2014 game. Our only offense was on big plays and Snoddy getting hurt may have impacted that. But we couldn’t stop their offense so the question is whether we could have outscored them. Either way we weren’t as “good” as them at full strength which is what the original question was.

Why weren't we as "good" as them? Because they had better ranked recruiting classes? Remember, Watson was a true freshman QB that year. That backup QB that played poorly against us lit up Oklahoma in the bowl game so it wasn't like he was terrible. We were the better team that year, and the rankings and records reflect it. And, IMO, I don't think the loss of Watson was the only reason we won that game. Sure it helped, but we beat some really good teams that year WITH their starting QBs.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
You need to rewatch the game then. We had no answer for their offense before Watson went down and our O did very little. We scored 2 defensive TDs on Ints off whoever then backup was.

Cole "3 and out" Stoudt! Though that day he was Cole "Pick 6" Stoudt

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Why weren't we as "good" as them? Because they had better ranked recruiting classes? Remember, Watson was a true freshman QB that year. That backup QB that played poorly against us lit up Oklahoma in the bowl game so it wasn't like he was terrible. We were the better team that year, and the rankings and records reflect it. And, IMO, I don't think the loss of Watson was the only reason we won that game. Sure it helped, but we beat some really good teams that year WITH their starting QBs.
Just think with Watson they were a better team. They were starting to hit their stride on offense and their defense held us to almost nothing in the first half. We hit on a few big runs and then wore them down late but feel it would have been much different if we had to face Watson all game. Not saying we weren’t very good just that imo they were better. Btw prior to the game they were ranked higher and iirc were favored

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Disagree, We were laying the freaking WOOD to Watson everytime he ran the ball, it was almost inevitable that he was going to get hurt the way they kept using him. You never know what would happen, to say we definitely lose if he didn't get hurt is kind of ridiculous.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree, We were laying the freaking WOOD to Watson everytime he ran the ball, it was almost inevitable that he was going to get hurt the way they kept using him. You never know what would happen, to say we definitely lose if he didn't get hurt is kind of ridiculous.

He had a non contact knee injury; not like we beat him up.

They were about to go up 10-0; instead Their backup qb Came and gifted a 95 yard pick six a play or two later. Then threw another pick six shortly after. In three quarters that guy was 3/11 for 19 yards and 3 INTs with nearly 200 yards of return yardage.

Not sure we win that game without the injury because our O wasn’t going to light up their D (we only scored offensive TD)

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I did watch that game and you're right - our best O was mostly stuffed that game. Defense bailed us out, thanks to a crappy backup Clemson QB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I did watch that game and you're right - our best O was mostly stuffed that game. Defense bailed us out, thanks to a crappy backup Clemson QB.

In 2014 Clemson had the best defense in the country, per DFEI. Not many offenses did well against them.

Per OFEI, their offense was ranked 75th. The notion that we wouldn't have stopped a true freshman QB is pure speculation. We managed just fine against the other NFL QBs we faced that year.

We played 5 top 25 defenses that year and went 5-0 against them. We played 4 top 25 offenses and went 3-1 against them, only losing to FSU. The 2014 GT team could play with anyone. I cede nothing to Clemson just because Watson was injured.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As I recall he was hurt cutting upfield unchallenged in an open field. Same with Snoddy, different injury. But getting hit did not impact it.

Milwaukee

Banned
Why is it that GT fans reduced the significance of a victory when another team loses a player but when GT loses a player it’s supposed to have no impact?

Umm...because it's Deshaun F'n Watson vs Broderick Snoddy maybe?

But overall, I do get your point. Just doesn't apply in this case whatsoever.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Umm...because it's Deshaun F'n Watson vs Broderick Snoddy maybe?

But overall, I do get your point. Just doesn't apply in this case whatsoever.
He might have played a crappy game and it is hard to argue with two picks returned for TDs, the first of them thrown way too late, but Cliff Stoudt was the starting QB for most of that season, and there are those at Clemson who will argue that experience defined how Swinney rotated Lawrence into the lineup a lot earlier, even if his starter transferred out on him. So played badly, yes. Crappy backup, hardly. That was the game I began to look at Swinney & Clemson a bit differently. Despite losing a QB and a rivalry game he desperately wanted to win, he crossed the field after the game and searched the scrum until he found Thomas to congratulate him. Pretty impressive, I thought.

Milwaukee

Banned
He might have played a crappy game and it is hard to argue with two picks returned for TDs, the first of them thrown way too late, but Cliff Stoudt was the starting QB for most of that season, and there are those at Clemson who will argue that experience defined how Swinney rotated Lawrence into the lineup a lot earlier, even if his starter transferred out on him. So played badly, yes. Crappy backup, hardly. That was the game I began to look at Swinney & Clemson a bit differently. Despite losing a QB and a rivalry game he desperately wanted to win, he crossed the field after the game and searched the scrum until he found Thomas to congratulate him. Pretty impressive, I thought.

Not really sure how to interpret this post at all.