Clemson Tigers Series...Neuter the Tigers!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So what's the deal with Parada? The tweet was deleted.

Question is what's up with Parada and Holland. No idea on Holland, but Parada may have been a COVID shot reaction. But let's recognize Turley coming in as #3 catcher for his first start this year and doing a great job behind the plate with 12 PO and out at the plate in first. Plus in 4 ABs, got a sac run :) and walk. No hits but damn we have been bad at sacrificing.

Let's hope good pitching is contagious! Hurter was a stud with one of his top 3 games of the season. Other two were NC State and UVa. Hurter has had problems with consistency but hopefully whatever tendonitis he had is cleared up. I was really glad to see he was pulled before T8 with 96 pitches and before he blew up. The 8 pitch T7th was a great end.
1620475871180.png

Then Crawford did great with his second good appearance in a row. I like him as a reliever better than starter.
1620476407661.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Question is what's up with Parada and Holland. No idea on Holland, but Parada may have been a COVID shot reaction. But let's recognize Turley coming in as #3 catcher for his first start this year and doing a great job behind the plate with 12 PO and out at the plate in first. Plus in 4 ABs, got a sac run :) and walk. No hits but damn we have been bad at sacrificing.

Let's hope good pitching is contagious! Hurter was a stud with one of his top 3 games of the season. Other two were NC State and UVa. Hurter has had problems with consistency but hopefully whatever tendonitis he had is cleared up. I was really glad to see he was pulled before T8 with 96 pitches and before he blew up. The 8 pitch T7th was a great end.
View attachment 10494

Then Crawford did great with his second good appearance in a row. I like him as a reliever better than starter.
View attachment 10495
Good post. Yes on Turley. Gets his degree this morning too. Jenkins 2 out 2RBI hit was also a HUGE lift.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, we won Friday night which beats the hell out of losing. Plus we played good baseball with no errors and some good defensive plays.

Clempsoning was in effect with them committing 4 errors and their starter had a rough outing with 8 BBs and 4 Ks through 4.0 IP. They ended up giving us 3 unearned runs or half our total. No pride here, loved the gifts. Prime example was first inning where we got a lead off walk and then a tailor made DP ball was an error by SS for no outs. That basically stressed their starter who was already having trouble throwing strikes and ran up the pitch count. (Sound familiar?)

But then we got no runs in the first even though we had 1st & 2nd & no outs. Overall our plate discipline was fabulous with the walks and no SO looking. But our overall hitting was .242. Of concern is hitting with runners on (.227) and even worse RISP (.133). There is a school of thought that hitting with RISP and runners on will regress (up or down) to the overall hitting. Hope that's right. We had a bunch of warning track FOs and the wind coming in held up some balls that would have been HRs other days.

But to win Friday night at home. Great.

Oh yeah, 5 of 9 people on D1 baseball picked us to win the series over Clempy.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Still no Parada or Holland... everything is fine! 😳

Clemson started another losing streak last night. Ga Tech is done with school. The potential of this team is about to be unleashed!

My emotional prediction... double digit runs today AND Sunday from Jackets offense!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow what a game. We are playing baseball.

First Home Series win since March (Duke).

We were fortunate to win since Clempy had 12 LOB to our 7. We gave up 10 free bases (7 walks and 3 hbp). Clempy only gave up 4 (3 BB, 1 hbp). We were living dangerously most of the day with Clempy getting the leadoff batter on in 7 of 9 innings. 4 times walk and once hbp.

Quick Hook Hall made an appearance in the ninth!
  • Pulled Bartnicki after he walked the leadoff hitter (BBBB) and then Clempy got a bunt to advance the runner. Love the quick hook.
  • Archer did ok till the sixth. He was pulled after two doubles so that was a good hook.
  • Maxwell was erratic as usual and came in to walk 2, hit 1, get a SO and a FO in the sixth. Only gave up one walk in the 7th, but runner advanced on wild pitch. Too much excitement for me.
  • Huff came in to get the final two outs with 1K and 1 FO. He deserved the win.
Many things could have lost the game but one thing that contributed to the win was no errors again and some great defensive plays, especially Gonzo in the ninth or Reid in the 6th.

We even got the sac game in order and successfully advanced runners. If we had been able to do that in earlier games, we'd have a few more wins ...... (some may not agree) (tic)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Team looked fully energized for the first time all year, to my humble eyes.

Is it possible we have turned a corner?

As Yogi (or someone) always said, momentum is only as good as your starting pitcher tomorrow.