Clemson Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
May is money month for NCAA seeding. You can be hosting going in and fall out or on the bubble and climb up and in. Tomorrow is the first May series. We have the resume so far to climb up, just have to win our last two series. For those counting, winning both series means we need to win the Clemson series.

Clemson can be very good but has been struggling of late. Even with the struggles, they are 29 RPI. Playing there, if we win the series we solidify our top 20 rpi. What is glaring is they are 9-12 against 1-25 and 4-4 against 51-100. But playing teams on paper isn't our strong suite, we shouldn't have beaten Miami in a series after being soundly trounced by Mercer.

Looking back, Clemson got swept @ L'Ville, took the series v FSU and @Wake, were swept @ND and lost a series v NC State.

From the game notes (https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Baseball-Game-Notes-Clemson-FULL.pdf ) if this doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. Both teams struggling pitching. Medich, and TBD, TBD. Maybe that's why Clemson is 6-14 ACC and we are 12-12 ACC with one of the top 5 offenses in the country. Clemson has a .972 Fielding % and we have a .969 so we are both struggling in that department too.

I hope we play good baseball, but if it takes a caveman to win, whatever. Que sera, sera.

1651795760690.png

1651795347942.png

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
My Mother taught me that the word hate was not to be used as it was a word I would regret using. So, I'll just say I very much dislike Clemson. Sting'em Jackets!!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
May is money month for NCAA seeding. You can be hosting going in and fall out or on the bubble and climb up and in. Tomorrow is the first May series. We have the resume so far to climb up, just have to win our last two series. For those counting, winning both series means we need to win the Clemson series.

Clemson can be very good but has been struggling of late. Even with the struggles, they are 29 RPI. Playing there, if we win the series we solidify our top 20 rpi. What is glaring is they are 9-12 against 1-25 and 4-4 against 51-100. But playing teams on paper isn't our strong suite, we shouldn't have beaten Miami in a series after being soundly trounced by Mercer.

Looking back, Clemson got swept @ L'Ville, took the series v FSU and @Wake, were swept @ND and lost a series v NC State.

From the game notes (https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-Baseball-Game-Notes-Clemson-FULL.pdf ) if this doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. Both teams struggling pitching. Medich, and TBD, TBD. Maybe that's why Clemson is 6-14 ACC and we are 12-12 ACC with one of the top 5 offenses in the country. Clemson has a .972 Fielding % and we have a .969 so we are both struggling in that department too.

I hope we play good baseball, but if it takes a caveman to win, whatever. Que sera, sera.

View attachment 12407

View attachment 12406
Thanks for your review. I think you conflated Mercer and Troy as we destroyed Mercer and chumped it against Troy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for your review. I think you conflated Mercer and Troy as we destroyed Mercer and chumped it against Troy.

Yeah, you get what you pay for :) We did great against Mercer and Troy took us to the woodshed. It's baseball.

I just do these posts as a stream of consciousness looking at stuff I'd look at anyway. Strange but I enjoy it......... when we are doing well.

I'm a big Vandy fan this weekend
1651847195192.png

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
GT loses and the Braves lose. Life sucks!
Indeed - was thinking the same. Braves had bullpen pitching strategy but GT had their hottest pitcher starting. GT needed to win that game and definitely the series now... Hope it's a better baseball weekend for the ATL than the way it started tonight...

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Hats off to Clemson’s ace. Wish we had one.

It is hard to find any consistency without good pitching. This team with a legitimate ace would be something to see. As it is, it feels like a frustrating waste of epic offensive talent.

I’m still hopeful that we somehow find lightning in a bottle and finish well (crazier things have happened), but it is looking more and more unlikely.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hitting .188 didn't help nor did the errors, nor did the 2.1 WHHIP. Just not good baseball on our part. Not a good start to May ball. Wonder how much finals week had to do with it? In all the major sports we seem to slump around mid-terms and finals. This would have been the weekend to have Akron and Kent State.

At least we have TBD the next two days to look forward to for both teams. Maybe next week we start TBD every game. Forget having an ace, we don't have a legit starter. Maybe next year.

Flush. We can win the series still. Get more beer.

1651921698745.png

1651921794310.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but you gotta consider the source of the quote, one of the greatest control pitchers of all time (IMHO). I am not sure this logic applies equally to all pitchers.

I have seen our guys give up some 0-2 hits this year that really chapped me.
Completely agree.... when the frustrating instances mount & mount & mount... I get pretty bore-sighted on just small few. Guys wiggling off the hook with a WP in the process (advancing a runner) is where my current indignation sits. It'll change. 😃

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was always told with a 0-2 count throw outside the zone to make the hitter chase a bad pitch. Up and in is hard to hit with any power. Good hitters will lay off or foul it off. Pitcher still has the advantage. These kids are good enough these days to hit a fast ball without much movement. The team will have some things to work on in the off season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This has been a very difficult year to be a GT sports fan <sigh>.

I will probably give up on GT Baseball one day. Today is not the day. (I just keep repeating.) I have given up on anything better than a 3 seed in the NCAAs. Who knows, maybe we can discover how to play good baseball after 47 games this season (very low probability but > zero).

We won yesterday's Earned Run game 8-5. Grissom was the only pitcher to give up an ER. He "only" gave up 5. The game was epitomized by the first three Clemson batters in a 5 run B1:
  1. Error on Compton throw to first. Jenk maybe could have made a great play and dug it out.
  2. Single under Jadyn's glove.
  3. HBP.
Grissom threw 104 pitches in 4.2 IP. WHHIP= 2.4. Sigh.

McGuire had 4 runs scored on him but 0 ER. Siegel and McNamee had good days. Treated Clemson like they have been playing all the rest of the year.

So TBD was MIA yesterday. So was the D.

1652009092162.png

Last edited: