Clemson Series

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yes. In 2017, the ACC adopted a 12-team, pool play format for its annual conference baseball tournament. Four groups of 3 teams each, in round-robin play.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Praetorium Deliquium emel iterumque.

Well we didn't deserve to win any of those games so no real angst here.

Maybe next year.

How does Danny Borrell still have a job?

Like I said elsewhere, DBo needs to figure out how to coach college pitchers. We have no legit starters with about 19 pitchers we started with. But I think he'll figure it out.

The "Hall Memory Tour" to Akron and Kent State may be enough to lower our RPI and make us a real bubble team. Losing 3 to Clemson away hurt a bit but not like playing those guys will, win or lose. Plus mess up the weekend games. But being 3 below 500 ACC really hurts. To me, it's hard to justify ANY ACC or SEC team in the NCAAs with a losing conference record.

As a great coach once said, it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems. But we are testing the depths once again at the end of the season. Too much talent to be playing the way we are. And I'm glad I'm not close to the team since it has to be a lot worse for them than us.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

Maybe next year.

Like I said elsewhere, DBo needs to figure out how to coach college pitchers. We have no legit starters with about 19 pitchers we started with. But I think he'll figure it out.

The "Hall Memory Tour" to Akron and Kent State may be enough to lower our RPI and make us a real bubble team. Losing 3 to Clemson away hurt a bit but not like playing those guys will, win or lose. Plus mess up the weekend games. But being 3 below 500 ACC really hurts. To me, it's hard to justify ANY ACC or SEC team in the NCAAs with a losing conference record.

As a great coach once said, it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems. But we are testing the depths once again at the end of the season. Too much talent to be playing the way we are. And I'm glad I'm not close to the team since it has to be a lot worse for them than us.
Nuke, thanks for the insights. I'll disagree with you on Borrell, our pitchers have talent, he just has no clue how to coach them. And I don't think we should be paying for a coach to be learning on the job., especially one that is supposed to know how to develop young pitchers (that was his job at the Yankees). If Hall staying ends up costing us Ramsey, then Im done with supporting Stansbury with my hard earned income.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke, thanks for the insights. I'll disagree with you on Borrell, our pitchers have talent, he just has no clue how to coach them. And I don't think we should be paying for a coach to be learning on the job., especially one that is supposed to know how to develop young pitchers (that was his job at the Yankees). If Hall staying ends up costing us Ramsey, then Im done with supporting Stansbury with my hard earned income.

No problem. It's only an opinion. We'll find out next year if DBo adapts. I hope I'm right but bookies might side with you.

And if Hall stays and Ramsey leaves, I won't be supporting GT Baseball anymore either. I only buy season tickets so it's no big loss.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We are in the process of playing our way out of the NCAA tournament. That would be a shame given the historically good offense we have this year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Add if Hall stays and Ramsey leaves, I won't be supporting GT Baseball anymore either. I only buy season tickets so it's no big loss.
I’m trying to think of examples where GT had a decent coach, replaced him and ended up with something other than a disaster.

CPJ replaced by CGC.
CPH replaced by CBG.
CBR replaced by ….
CGO replaced by CCG
CBC replaced by CPH.

We did have CCG replaced by CPJ and about got a draw.

I think you gotta go all the way back to CBC being replaced by CBR to get a win in a scenario when the predecessor was not a train wreck.

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan

Maybe next year.

hit the nail on the head,these are not minor league pitchers

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just a disappointing weekend of baseball after how we played last weekend. It was a bad time for our offense to slump. It’s a tremendous ask to have our offense consistently put up 10 runs, but our defense requires us to keep it close to have a chance down the stretch.

bigbob

Georgia Tech Fan
At this stage of the season, the stats don’t lie, either or we have the worst pitching talent in the ACC, or our pitching coach is in way over his head. I don’t buy #1. Yet, we give him a contract extension?🤷‍♂️

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Was reading an interview this evening with the Braves Spencer Strider (who pitched at Clemson) which made me think about the mindset of our GT pitchers. Here's an excerpt:

When Spencer Strider pitched at Clemson, the baseball program’s pitchers adopted a mentality: You’re always closing.
“You go get one guy for one inning, and then if you earn the next inning, you just go back out and you keep doing it until they take the ball,” Strider said

Can't help but think the GT pitchers need a different mindset along these lines. Maybe hire the Ted Lasso sports psychologist...?