Clemson radio

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Right, but our record against Clemson is better than 98% of FBS teams, so does it reflect on those programs too? How about our record against Virginia Tech? Wake Forest? Boston College? NC State? Hell, we're 3-0 against Florida State in regular season games. CPJ is 7-3 against Duke. 6-4 against Virginia. 6-4 against North Carolina.

I am currently pretty sour on our coach, but lets not forget in the last decade we have 1 ACC Championship, 3 Coastal Division Championships, and 2 Orange Bowl wins. Lets not overdo it. Probably 11 of the other 14 ACC teams would kill to have that record over the last 10 years.
Yep, the issue imo, is that people are comparing the success of GT to what they think should happen. Instead they should compare the success of what GT has done to the rest of college football teams and especially in conference teams.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
But look at the state of programs with new and exciting coaching hires: Arkansas, UCLA, Florida State, Nebraska...the state of our program isn't that bad. Many people on here can't see the forest because of the trees. We get that onside kick last Saturday and we win. USF, we laid an egg, no excuses. I'd much rather be where we are than those other "Traditional Power" teams who went for the sexy hire.

RiseUpATL

Banned
But look at the state of programs with new and exciting coaching hires: Arkansas, UCLA, Florida State, Nebraska...the state of our program isn't that bad. Many people on here can't see the forest because of the trees. We get that onside kick last Saturday and we win. USF, we laid an egg, no excuses. I'd much rather be where we are than those other "Traditional Power" teams who went for the sexy hire.

You would rather be here at 2-3 losing seasons and trending well towards 3-4? Not sure I’m comfortable with that personally. Maybe if were were going back and forth between 7-5 and 9-3. At least then you are much closer to special seasons. To me, winning seasons are an absolute minimum. Even at our worst with Gailey we always made a bowl. Our cieling wasn’t as high, but our floor wasn’t as low.

The recent hires were Herman, Ogeron, Smart, Kelley, Mullen and Taggart.

Herman and Ogeron are only in their second year and Ogeron has already defeated 2 top 10 teams on the road. Herman just got a big win against a ranked USC (though he did drop the opening game to MD on the road).

Taggart is dealing with an offensive line that’s an inherited mess from Jimbo. Too soon to tell. Chip Kelley is running an offense with the wrong pieces which is what we will have to suffer through most likely. But you gotta be patient here. Mullen is going to get it right. He just is and it’s ignorant to think he won’t. He just needs a QB. First year coaches always struggle.

And after Smart struggled in his first year we all see what’s happening there.

It’s a risk but at the same time what are we really gaining by keeping PJ? Nothing IMO. Especially if we can’t reach a bowl again this year.

Deleted member 2897

You would rather be here at 2-3 losing seasons and trending well towards 3-4? Not sure I’m comfortable with that personally. Maybe if were were going back and forth between 7-5 and 9-3. At least then you are much closer to special seasons. To me, winning seasons are an absolute minimum. Even at our worst with Gailey we always made a bowl. Our cieling wasn’t as high, but our floor wasn’t as low.

The recent hires were Herman, Ogeron, Smart, Kelley, Mullen and Taggart.

Herman and Ogeron are only in their second year and Ogeron has already defeated 2 top 10 teams on the road. Herman just got a big win against a ranked USC (though he did drop the opening game to MD on the road).

Taggart is dealing with an offensive line that’s an inherited mess from Jimbo. Too soon to tell. Chip Kelley is running an offense with the wrong pieces which is what we will have to suffer through most likely. But you gotta be patient here. Mullen is going to get it right. He just is and it’s ignorant to think he won’t. He just needs a QB. First year coaches always struggle.

And after Smart struggled in his first year we all see what’s happening there.

It’s a risk but at the same time what are we really gaining by keeping PJ? Nothing IMO. Especially if we can’t reach a bowl again this year.

We were ahead in every game last year by at least 2 scores except for Clemson and Georgia - both who went to the CFP. We lost some very frustrating games, but we haven't been Florida State uncompetitive. We just haven't closed out games.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And look at the salaries that are being paid. Like it or not, we can't afford that money until CPH, CBG are off the books. Then do you really want to turn around and owe CPJ a million a year for his contract? This ship will right it self. With CCG, we were vanilla as can be. We had one of the greatest WR to ever put on pads and what do we have to show for it? 7wins a year. (How do you think he got his nickname of 7 Wins Gailey?) If you can't fight through the bad times to enjoy the good times I pray that you never marry or have kids.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Basic problem I am having is that I can't get excited about playing Clemson. I expect to see more of the same that I have been seeing for a season and 3 games, and simply don't think I can take it anymore. If I had some confidence that something would be changed in a major way, I'd be there to cheer on the brave and bold.....but I am struggling with showing up and wanting to leave in the 1st quarter after seeing "same old, same old"......

Deleted member 2897

One things folks need to watch for at the Clemson game is what I like to call the "Count The Khakis". At the 2016 game, I counted FIFTY staff in Khaki Pants on the sideline. Here is a screen shot of barely 15 yards worth of their sideline, and you'll count over 20 staff. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ . They spend nearly triple on football that we spend. And that doesn't even include the $130 million they've spent in the last few years on facilities.

E4tJ2Ox.png

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Basic problem I am having is that I can't get excited about playing Clemson.
Did you have this feeling the week of October 24th in 2015 as we went against a Top 10 team in our house? If you did then great cause that game worked out pretty good for us IIRC.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Also, we played at Clemson two years in a row in 12/13. Had we played at home in 13 we probably would have lost that game (we were beaten soundly AT clemson that season).

Those were some strange games. I think we would have won 2012 if it had been played at home. We were leading going into the 4th quarter and they only pulled away at the end. In 2013, we put up 31 points and 440 yards offense on them, but our defense got absolutely torched. Good chance we win one of those two if they were played at home instead of both on the road.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Did you have this feeling the week of October 24th in 2015 as we went against a Top 10 team in our house? If you did then great cause that game worked out pretty good for us IIRC.

The game worked out that season was a dumpster fire.... I need more then one upset win this season

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Resources, resources, resources.

That argument might hold water if we were only losing to teams that had significantly more resources. Unfortunately that is not happening.

Also, you do realize that there is more to a program than just simply the money they allocate to football. Tradition and geography to talent play a significant role as well. For instance I would imagine Duke spends roughly the same amount of money as we do on football. If I were to be right on that assumption, GT is still a better job with a higher ceiling than Duke.

FSU does not and has not spent as much money on football as 80% of the SEC yet there program is better than all save Bama.

Money is not the end all be all although it certainly plays a factor.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, honestly. We're only losing to Duke and Virginia if you look at the last couple of years. If you're going to place your perception of our team and program on years like 2015 or right now, then yes you're probably going to go through your days and life extremely upset and frustrated. I would encourage you, especially as a fan, to stay passionate and positive and get in our fans faces. Remind Clemson folks they've only beat us at home once in the last 15 years. Remind North Carolina folks we beat them several years in a row after CPJ was hired and we're coming to beat them to a pulp again just like we did last year. Remind Duke fans that David Cutcliffe is an arrogant *******. Well okay, if you don't want to do that I understand, I'll take care of that last one. Don't let the negative nellies and other people define the terms of the discussion.

I love this post. I will fight for the program and spin it in a positive manner at every turn. Heck, even this year I'm giving uga fans the business about Gt having the most National Championships in the state and the most recent.

I believe in this program and think we are one of the more undervalued programs in college football. What you are suggesting about supporting the program in the face of the negative nellies is essentially what I feel like I'm doing by advocating change in our head coaching position. I believe those saying our program should continue with the coach that is on track to miss bowl games in 3 out of 4 years are the negative nellies.

It's crazy how people can interpret the situation so differently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That argument might hold water if we were only losing to teams that had significantly more resources. Unfortunately that is not happening.

Also, you do realize that there is more to a program than just simply the money they allocate to football. Tradition and geography to talent play a significant role as well. For instance I would imagine Duke spends roughly the same amount of money as we do on football. If I were to be right on that assumption, GT is still a better job with a higher ceiling than Duke.

FSU does not and has not spent as much money on football as 80% of the SEC yet there program is better than all save Bama.

Money is not the end all be all although it certainly plays a factor.
I’m not talking about just money though. For the most part until this year we were behind almost all of not all ACC programs in resources. Money, facilities, coaches ect. I agree that location, history and other things can affect a program too, but I’d dare to say that those things can be overrode pretty easily.