Clemson Postgame

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We did it sort of once but it was to the right, 30 yd TD

Wasn't why we lost though. We got whipped by a much more physically talented team.
Folks seem to continue to think scheme cancels physical superiority. On occasion it can, but not usually. CPJ got waxed by LSU in the 2008 Peach Bowl due to LSU’s physical superiority. Just one of several examples. We were soundly beaten by a physically superior team yesterday.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Folks seem to continue to think scheme cancels physical superiority. On occasion it can, but not usually. CPJ got waxed by LSU in the 2008 Peach Bowl due to LSU’s physical superiority. Just one of several examples. We were soundly beaten by a physically superior team yesterday.
That's our heritage. If this was a paper drill, we'd have a historical winning percentage of about .250

I get it, sometimes the best scheme in the world isn't going to help. Yesterday may not have been that day, but when our scheme implodes like it did we normally get shellacked.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The other thing that struck me about this game is that we started off playing the best defense we have played all year. Even the announcers were marveling at the improvement they were seeing in the D. Then we left several points on the field, Clemson got a questionable TD and gained confidence, our defense got tired and Clemson kept making fourth down plays to keep drives alive.

A few things going differently early on with our offense, like not having multiple false starts by our tackles, and the game would have had a different arc. Clemson may have still won but Tech would have pushed them to their limit either way.
The 3 and out by our offense after our defense was on the field for what seem like forever was a killer.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
WR screens in this offense is akin to BBack dives in CPJ's offense. It's a type of constraint that helps the offense set up reads on the defense, and sets up other plays. We think it's repetitive, but the players and staff use it for other purposes besides the play itself.
They might have similar purposes, but the B Back dive almost always picked up a couple yards, where the WR screens are consistently putting us 2-3 yards in the hole on 2nd down.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The 3 and out by our offense after our defense was on the field for what seem like forever was a killer.
3 and outs hurt. Defense needs to get stops so they aren't on the field so long. Clemson was very comfortable going for it on 4th down and we simply didn't 't stop them. 4 of 6 on 4th down with one of the stops being the crazy fake punt.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Part of our problem on defense is guys not having their head on a swivel. Opposing QBs escape the pocket and run 10 yards before anybody not on the DL even realizes it, they are all staring at the receivers they are covering. We've had guys chasing their receivers down field completely unaware while the QB runs right behind them. Got to get that corrected.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
3 and outs hurt. Defense needs to get stops so they aren't on the field so long. Clemson was very comfortable going for it on 4th down and we simply didn't 't stop them. 4 of 6 on 4th down with one of the stops being the crazy fake punt.
I agree, and I hope the players wake up before Saturday at the game with Syracuse the one thing our defense has problems with is stopping the run. And believe me if our offense has 3 and outs Syracuse will wear down our defense and rush for over 350 to 400 yards.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
They might have similar purposes, but the B Back dive almost always picked up a couple yards, where the WR screens are consistently putting us 2-3 yards in the hole on 2nd down.
Especially when we block them like we did yesterday. Do our WR get credit for tackles when the DB shoves them into the intended receiver?

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Meh... no shame losing to a better team. Clemson is the better team... by a good bit. That D is for real, it seems. I couldn't watch much, but their best D today appears to be our D not being able to get them off the field... a 37-23 minute TOP differential. Won't win much like that. Of course, 4 INT's will help do that for you.

Sometimes you take your whuppin' and get ready for the next one.
It was an old fashioned butt kicking, i will say this with all the talent on the field Clemson has, Dabo has definetly underperformed this year as a coach

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Part of our problem on defense is guys not having their head on a swivel. Opposing QBs escape the pocket and run 10 yards before anybody not on the DL even realizes it, they are all staring at the receivers they are covering. We've had guys chasing their receivers down field completely unaware while the QB runs right behind them. Got to get that corrected.
Our linebackers come up and disappear in the middle of the line and are not there to make plays. The middle of the field is wide open so many times it drives me crazy. I watch other teams and other games where their linebackers do not run up and get washed by the ol/dl scrum rather they hang back then make a play on the qb or rb. Very frustrating!!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It did seem like we abandoned the run early. We were gashing them on our first few drives. Then false starts killed us. Then the drops.

Defense played well but eventually caved. And then the wheels really started to fall off. I really wanted this one over Clemson. I hate to say I turned the game off after what felt like the 7th pick that King threw.

Hopefully we can get to a bowl over the fruit next weekend

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Bad day. Rained on the way up and on the way home. Told a Tech fan at a tailgate that we either keep it close like UNC and Miami with a shot at the end or get blown out 42-14. That's what Tech does. The drops killed us. Basically two TDs that were lost on those plays. King pressed and threw up a bunch of questionable passes. Only positive is that it shows us where we're at against talented teams, even when they are down. On to Syracuse. Get a win and go bowling for the first time since CPJ.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the defense would have been fine if the offense could stay on the field and give them a rest. My main criticism is I do think our scheme was conservative at times (especially on 4th downs) with a four man rush and soft zone. When we finally tightened up near the goal line their receivers made great plays to beat our DBs.

slugboy

Staff member
It did seem like we abandoned the run early. We were gashing them on our first few drives. Then false starts killed us. Then the drops.

Defense played well but eventually caved. And then the wheels really started to fall off. I really wanted this one over Clemson. I hate to say I turned the game off after what felt like the 7th pick that King threw.

Hopefully we can get to a bowl over the fruit next weekend

Our first drive, we started first and fifteen. Ran for thirteen , then failed to pick up two yards in two passes. Second drive, we picked up the first down and THEN got the false start, leading to a five-and-out. Then we scored off of the Clemson fake punt. The next series, a nine yard sack killed us. The first three quarters were almost all short series ending in punts or interceptions.

We only had four penalties, but they killed our first couple of drives, and took us away from our running game, especially after getting way behind

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They were physically superior, but I wouldn't say Tech was manhandled or dominated, as some have described and has been the case in some recent games. Something short of that. We are getting better.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our linebackers come up and disappear in the middle of the line and are not there to make plays. The middle of the field is wide open so many times it drives me crazy. I watch other teams and other games where their linebackers do not run up and get washed by the ol/dl scrum rather they hang back then make a play on the qb or rb. Very frustrating!!
That is as much ability as scheme. Our guys hit what turns out to be the wrong hole frequently. Of course the DL seldom gets penetration closing off lanes.