Clemson Postgame

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have been wondering the same thing for a couple of games now.

Quick out to the sideline with a pick-six threat every time? Sure. We run that 3-4 times a game. But a quick slant?

Maybe I've missed it, but I'm not alone, apparently.
Read on rivals or Maybe here, that thexway we line up wr makes this difficult.

W the clemson fastcm pursuit seems likexwe did do much misdirection.

However a little better wr target catch ratio, 2 drops for acore, 2 less int, a few more accurate throws and we are way way more competitive. Bang foot shoot, reload bang.....

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Pros: My college roommate was in my neck of the woods, and I got to watch the Jackets with him for the first time since I think 2018.

Cons: GT lost in every facet of the game.

Can’t say I’m too disappointed. I did think we’d do better on O, but basically only the RB’s seemed to do an okay job.

Still a lot to play for in the two remaining weeks. Go Jackets.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Had low expectations going into this game. I thought they'd run all over us and they did.

The ability for opposing QBs to predictably run for first downs on 3rd and long pass plays is mind numbing.

Several times during the game I thought we looked undersized behind the front 4 on D (excepting Efford), and at the skill positions on offense.

We are a better team than we showed today. Still feel good about general direction of program. Need to show some pride and put in the work and properly prepare for Syracuse.

Then we need to recruit and work the portal to get bigger and more physical, as well as continue making S&C gains.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read the thread, I didn't watch beyond the 24-7 point yet. I will when I'm not so emotionally hyped (I did follow the scores to make sure I was aware of the game in real-time). What this showed me is that we have a freshman receiver in Singleton (2 TD drops). No problem there. We were successful in running the ball initially. We got punched in the mouth and the wheels came off. We're not there yet. That's okay. We're working ourselves in the right direction. I fully expect to win next week and anticipate it will be hard for us to win the following Saturday. That being said, I think we're moving in the right direction. I think '25 will be a playoff team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read the thread, I didn't watch beyond the 24-7 point yet. I will when I'm not so emotionally hyped (I did follow the scores to make sure I was aware of the game in real-time). What this showed me is that we have a freshman receiver in Singleton (2 TD drops). No problem there. We were successful in running the ball initially. We got punched in the mouth and the wheels came off. We're not there yet. That's okay. We're working ourselves in the right direction. I fully expect to win next week and anticipate it will be hard for us to win the following Saturday. That being said, I think we're moving in the right direction. I think '25 will be a playoff team.
All was good until the playoff team. That neighborhood is not in our current budget.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
King tried to do too much. I thought they would spy on him running and they did. No quit in this team and coaching staff. Good days ahead. We knew Clemson was going to get rushing yards, but I was surprised how well their QB played.
Also, they played a really sticky man to man on our WRs and Singleton was the only one capable of getting open. It was a good defensive game plan. Stop the run with your really good front 6-7, keep eyes on King, and play man to man with excellent DBs. King's interceptions were a result of that .

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Those 2 drops early seemed to deflate our QB and the team and put some confidence into the Clemson mindset. Can't do that with really talented teams which Clemson definitely is. Not sure we would have won the game without the 2 drops. Someone mentioned we need to throw to our other receivers besides 13 some, we seem to go to him over and over, maybe he was the only one open all day.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Those 2 drops early seemed to deflate our QB and the team and put some confidence into the Clemson mindset. Can't do that with really talented teams which Clemson definitely is. Not sure we would have won the game without the 2 drops. Someone mentioned we need to throw to our other receivers besides 13 some, we seem to go to him over and over, maybe he was the only one open all day.
Those drops were devastating... For all the hype and hopeful comparisons he has a long way to go...focus and fight for the ball for Pete's Sake!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The game should have been much different, but we had a piss poor game on offense. I know a lot of blame is being directed at King. And while he did not have a good game (and the play calling and OL blocking were suspect at times), he was not the worst part of our offense yesterday. The WRs were and they should get an arse chewing like no other. The dropped passes, missed blocks, poor routes, and lack of fight for contested balls from our receivers was pitiful. The played like they did not want to be on the field. Heck, Lane went down untouched with no one near him after a reception needing to get only two more yards for a first on 3rd and long when King pulled a Houdini to escape pressure. If King felt like he needed to force plays after the lack of fight and piss poor play of the WRs, I can hardly blame him. The game is a lot different if the WRs even bothered to get off the bus.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think it was the plan all along, the coaches told Singleton not to play well and drop catchable balls. Knowing that next weeks game would be the most winnable game, they didn't want Singleton to show his stuff on a network televised game so that all the fat-cat scouts from across the country wouldn't come calling with open check books and we'd have a major weapon return for next season's run ... (sic) Now, lets go get after the Orangemen !!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
On offense I saw Clemson hold on almost every play. But I’ve never gotten over the rule change from a few years ago. Seems you can grab jersey as long as your hands are close to your body, or you don’t get caught.
The ones in the middle don’t bother me. It’s the ones in the backfield or where they are behind the player that were infuriating.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There was a thread earlier this season about momentum, and I think these last two games were great examples of that. Had Singleton caught those two likely TD passes, we put up at least 21 pts in the first half. Clemson's D ends up on their heels instead of attacking. King doesn't start forcing passes, doesn't throw 4 interceptions that turned into 13 points for Clemson, and it's a completely different ballgame. Maybe Clemson adjusts at halftime and still wins, but it would have been a hell of a lot closer.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Also I know it's already been harped on, but the WR screens are maddening. There are other ways to get the ball out quick and force the opposing D to wear themselves out running sideline to sideline, but that seems to be the only play we run to do so and we almost always lose yards on it, on top of the risk of the easy pick-6. I WOULD have liked to see a screen to the RB over the middle to punish Clemson's over-aggressive DL and LBs, but we never tried that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was a thread earlier this season about momentum, and I think these last two games were great examples of that. Had Singleton caught those two likely TD passes, we put up at least 21 pts in the first half. Clemson's D ends up on their heels instead of attacking. King doesn't start forcing passes, doesn't throw 4 interceptions that turned into 13 points for Clemson, and it's a completely different ballgame. Maybe Clemson adjusts at halftime and still wins, but it would have been a hell of a lot closer.
That’s the way the game looked to me in real time. Early, it looked like we had picked up where we left off with Virginia.

A common pattern I see with teams that get behind is they get more conservative and the other team squeezes their chances of success down even more, or a team tries to open up the offense and the other team makes a huge play like an interception or pick six or huge loss of yards on sacks. This cascading bad effect happened with Virginia against us and happened with us against Clemson.

Early on I thought Clemson might collapse the way Virginia did. We looked much more explosive, except for our unforced errors, and they made a desperation fake punt to turn the momentum around and we stopped them. But give them credit, they kept plugging away until they gained confidence and started clicking on offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The other thing that struck me about this game is that we started off playing the best defense we have played all year. Even the announcers were marveling at the improvement they were seeing in the D. Then we left several points on the field, Clemson got a questionable TD and gained confidence, our defense got tired and Clemson kept making fourth down plays to keep drives alive.

A few things going differently early on with our offense, like not having multiple false starts by our tackles, and the game would have had a different arc. Clemson may have still won but Tech would have pushed them to their limit either way.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The other thing that struck me about this game is that we started off playing the best defense we have played all year. Even the announcers were marveling at the improvement they were seeing in the D. Then we left several points on the field, Clemson got a questionable TD and gained confidence, our defense got tired and Clemson kept making fourth down plays to keep drives alive.

A few things going differently early on with our offense, like not having multiple false starts by our tackles, and the game would have had a different arc. Clemson may have still won but Tech would have pushed them to their limit either way.
The start of this game reminds me so much of our BG game where the D intially played well, got a couple of stops, offense clicked for 2 touchdowns and we looked unbeatable. Then BG started punching back and our offense went away and affected our defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tired of seeing that thing. Most of the time goes nowhere.

WR screens in this offense is akin to BBack dives in CPJ's offense. It's a type of constraint that helps the offense set up reads on the defense, and sets up other plays. We think it's repetitive, but the players and staff use it for other purposes besides the play itself.