Clemson Postgame

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope there are lessons to be learned in what didn't work against Clemson's defense that can translate to Georgia.

This team isn't at the point where they can win a game against a team that talented that came to play without their A game for four quarters *and* likely a good number of breaks.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure what recruiting advantages a rural school in SC has that the other teams in conference don't but they have level 1 athletes.

I’m not sure their degrees are worth the paper they’re printed on. Saturdays in the fall is all they have.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. I’ve always believed the offense can be schemed for success. On D, scheme is helpful, but ultimately, it’s about studs. We have very few, if any, in the front 7. It’s hard for me to judge a DC with our lack of speed in the front 7.
I’m ok with judging the (now former) DC on that since he oversaw recruiting everyone…

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Their recruiting advantage is that they fill a large stadium with 80K or so fans in orange every home game. Recruits
pay attention to that.
They also have mail-it-in courses the players can take. Example: they have a “ Sports Communication “ degree that only accepts 30 students per year. Every year, 27-30 of those accepted are football or basketball players (that statistic came from one of the professors in the program). It has nothing to do with print or broadcast journalism, but rather a 4 year program on how to effectively post on twitter (X) and Instagram.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson has by far the smartest coaching staff in the ACC in that they go out and recruit the blue chip, superior athletes. I am not sure what recruiting advantages a rural school in SC has that the other teams in conference don't but they have level 1 athletes. There were several times Haynes King tried to run today that I felt like would have worked against the other teams we played. He (King) himself seemed surprised a bit by their quickness. As former Tech HOF coach used to say, physical superiority negates all other schemes and factors or wtte.

I like that we played them so late in the season to better prepare us for the upcoming COFH. i don't think playing the U or UNC or anyone else had us prepped for their athleticism. Yes, their record isn't the greatest by they might be just rounding into form late this year.
I have no idea what kind of recruiting advantage$ the Clem$on Tiger$ have up their $leeve$ that would help them pull $uperior athlete$ to a rural $chool in $C. I gue$$ it will ju$t have to remain a my$tery.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what kind of recruiting advantage$ the Clem$on Tiger$ have up their $leeve$ that would help them pull $uperior athlete$ to a rural $chool in $C. I gue$$ it will ju$t have to remain a my$tery.
There's a lot of money in some of those farmers pockets.....

Money Chicken GIF by happydog

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
In all seriousness though, Clemson seems to have turned the corner
Sorry, but no.

I was there. Clemson is ok on defense and super slow on offense. Their offense line makes ours look all conference caliber - and we exploited it before we got tired (and before the reds started ignoring the holds on ever play).

The story of this game was that our offense played so bad the D got tired and couldn’t contribute. Had we caught the two TDs in the first half maybe the game is different. But I’m not sure it would have mattered given that we did basically nothing outside of those plays.

Overall a very disappointing performance against a team we don’t have a chance to beat often these days.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
When Clemson won their early national FB title (1981??) the sports guy interviewed their QB & asked him what he majored in.
He said “dairy science”. The interviewer ask what that was?? He said “ you learn about milk & cheese & stuff!!”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some folks just don't/won't ever understand that.
This was a big part of our problem today. We had several plays that were effective early. It was clear to me that these plays constituted enough of a rotation to keep Clemson off balance, which they most decidedly were. But then the rotation starting breaking down. False starts, poor throws to wide receiver screens, dropped passes in the open field and on deep balls, made Clemson less concerned about particular threats. They began to cheat up, crowding receivers and pinning their ears back on the line. Confidence built that we couldn’t hurt them with big plays and passing downs became more and more obvious. Our play call options shrunk. The cascading effect became inevitable. We needed to play mistake free and we didn’t. Almost like we were too tight to start the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but no.

I was there. Clemson is ok on defense and super slow on offense. Their offense line makes ours look all conference caliber - and we exploited it before we got tired (and before the reds started ignoring the holds on ever play).

The story of this game was that our offense played so bad the D got tired and couldn’t contribute. Had we caught the two TDs in the first half maybe the game is different. But I’m not sure it would have mattered given that we did basically nothing outside of those plays.

Overall a very disappointing performance against a team we don’t have a chance to beat often these days.
On offense I saw Clemson hold on almost every play. But I’ve never gotten over the rule change from a few years ago. Seems you can grab jersey as long as your hands are close to your body, or you don’t get caught.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My takeaways:

Clemson not only was the better team, but they played out of their minds today. Another incredible highlight-reel one-handed catch for a TD. I got the feeling early on that this was just not going to be our day.

4 picks including a pick-6. I’m hoping King learns from this game that you can’t be careless with your throws against a really good defense. It wasn’t just the pressure, some were just bad decisions.

For those complaining about our playcalling, we had a lot of plays that would have worked if we executed better. Too many pre-snap penalties got us behind the sticks, receivers picked today to have the dropsies, and King was uncharacteristically off-target with some of his throws. Our passing game complements our run game and vice-versa, so when one fails, they both suffer.

Our defense is getting better and capable of playing well against a decent-but-not-great offense, but we still can’t seem to defend 3rd and forever or 4th-and medium. Frustrating.

If I had to pick one game this year where we would be “off” and our opponent was “on”, it probably would have been this one. Going into the season most had penciled in a loss for this game anyway. We need to have our usual bounce-back game next week.
Yep, I was hoping we would play the Clemson team that played Duke, Wake Forest and Clemson. Instead we got an even better version of the Clemson team that played FSU.

SilverFox81

Georgia Tech Fan
D played badly on third and fourth downs but when your O can't get going, this is what happens. Our D got gassed. Kudos to Dabo and his game plan. Hate losing to Clemson. Guess we'll try again in 2025 :/

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is a 6 and 4 football team that easily finish 6 and 6. If you want to declare them a great team, I guess you can but as O'Leary used to say, you are what your record says you are.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but no.

The story is Clemson DL killed our OL all game. Clemson’s DBs covered our WRs like blankets.

King was one of the least sacked QBs in Division 1 prior to today mostly due to his ability to move around in and out of the pocket. Today there was no where to go and when guys were open they dropped some key passes.

Our defense is responsible for getting the opponents offense off the field. They failed miserably.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is a 6 and 4 football team that can easily finish 6 and 6. If you want to declare them a great team, I guess you can but as O'Leary used to say, you are what your record says you are.

Go Jackets