Clemson Postgame

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We need help at linebacker. We need to figure out who is going to be the starting QB. The fumble on the punt return at the beginning of the game set the tone. This is a young team, it will be better after game 5.

I don't think we had any serious injures tonight. That is a plus.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 400 yards rushing...

Hence the “all things considered”. The two fumbles gave Clemson 14 easy points. Clemson has one of the greatest college QBs ever and they’ve won 11 straight games by 20 or more points. The first game in a new scheme against those odds, the D kept us in the game(somewhat) for two quarters.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there is a lot of things to take away from this. My few cents

Offense

• OL was outmatched as probably expected. We wouldn't have time to pass in the pocket even if we wanted to
  • However, Tobias looked like he tried to run before even looking downfield. Long term I'm not sure if thats the answer. Still an extremely athletic and talented individual
  • Not impressed with the play calling. I don't care if it doesn't work, if they throw 8 in the box, do SOMETHING on the outside. WR Screen, toss play. Just feels so bad as a fan to watch us just run right into them 3 times and punt
Defense
  • Would have liked more pressure on the QB, but that is one experienced and big OL that Clemson has
  • Overall much more happy with this group. Made some great plays. wore down toward the end and obviously still a lot of improvement, but this will definitely be our stronger group this year
  • Tre Swilling will be drafted.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Really did not learn much. Our OL and DL (and LBs) are not what they need to be to compete at the P5 level consistently. But, I knew that. QB's are not great throwers, but knew that. Mr. Mason is a very tough runner - I expected that. We have a good punter, but I knew that. Tre Swilling has really upped his game - I did not know that for sure.

I have to admit on our first scoring play, I did like the option pitch. :)

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
The defense looked good for stretches. Special teams mistakes and offense being unable to pick up short yardage or score were killers. I expected the offense to struggle, especially against Clemson, but I didn’t expect them to struggle to run last year’s CPJ VT gameplan.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We learned:
That there should not be shotgun in the red zone, 3rd and two, or fourth and one.
No pass rush, still.
Pass pro blocking still needs a lot of work
DL getting push around, no surprise.
Inside LB play still not where we need it to be.
Still cannot run back kickoffs from the goal line
On the good side:
Good effort, no quit
Mason ran really well
Graham looked better than I expected
Passing skills somewhat disappointing but some hope
Our QBs are running weapons but too much of it looks too much like the last two years
Noted improvement in the secondary
Kicking overall is a plus
Still scary on KO coverage but no disasters.
Clemson has some terrific athletes

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Not much stood out either direction on O or D to me this game. Need a more realistic opponent to learn our prospects for the year, imo.

The one area where I thought we'd see immediate returns was Special Teams. I was wrong
I don’t care if it’s a lineman, we need reliable hands to field punts.