Clemson Postgame

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has
Get some perspective, and quickly gentlemen. That was one of the most dominant teams we have seen in quite some time.

We all joke about clemsoning, but the underlying truth there is that the teams they field are STUDS. That they can "find a way to not win" means they deserved to. The last couple of years CDS has had them dialed in and focused. I hate taking a loss, and a public one like this was, but it is ridiculous to say the team had no heart.

I saw our defense hold fast for most of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Q; I saw our guys continue to fight for breathing room; and despite being outclassed I saw us finish the game.

Maybe we should all take a few beats to step back and remember that 30 some odd kids from the Institute just went head first into a buzz saw. I am hoping they can come out the other end stronger for having had the experience. There is a TON of football left to play, and we are 1-1 in conference.

Let's heal up, rest up, and get ready for Miami and co, because they're coming next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great post, i agree 100% and am proud of our team

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Bunch of negative f'ing nancies here. Get over it. You can say the score doesn't reflect the game because Clemson let off the gas but Lance was one move without fumbling away from us going into half down 14-7 and it could've been a different game. They're a beatable team no matter how talented. 2014 vs Duke was one of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen under CPJ and we turned it around that year.

The talent argument can go out the window. We have talent we just need to play better. All it takes is some damn confidence and execution. If we pull the same crap this year as last year and keep losing then I would serious question the leadership on this team.
What planet are you living on? We had 22 yards of offense in the first half and 124 total in the game.
Thank God that Dabo and Paul are friends because Clemson backed off in the 2nd half or it really could have been ugly.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well they whipped our tale, so give them credit. I don't think we ran an option play where Clemson didn't end up with a numbers advantage on the edge. Either we were asking our guys to do something they can't do physically or the Clemson folks were beating us with size and speed. It appeared to be the latter to me, but it might be a mix considering how hard it has been to get the MLB lately. When the option wouldn't work we did a good job of turning it back inside, and I thought Mills/Marshal did a good job of moving the ball and the O line held their own. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish we would have started out with the inside runs and the Bryan pull play on the first or second series. If we could have stayed on the field and wore down their D a little in the first half, it might have opened up the option later.

They are better than I thought they were to be honest. I still think we are better than we were last year, but Clemson may be just as good as they were last year too. To have a defense that lost 8 guys to the NFL and be able to hold our offense to 25 yards in the first half is pretty impressive to me. I would be worried if I were Louisville.

All we can control is what happens next, so let's focus on the Miami team that has two weeks to prepare for us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Some initial thoughts with zero film review...

That's possibly the worst offensive performance ever ever witnessed by a Tech team. Clemson is incredible, no doubt, but give me a break...how the hell does the entire team whiff on their blocks repeatedly? We came with zero intensity on offense, and it showed. Playing a good defense is no excuse for that sort of performance.

The defense played well enough where we could have won with even a shred of offense. Honestly, I can't understand how they were able to do so being on the field as much as they were. But look, take away the safety and its 17-7...I don't even want to talk about how stupid that play was...similar to the safety against Miami in 2012.

This Jelyl and Hyde thing we have going on offense is strange. Some games it looks like a lot of those guys don't even want to be out there. Maybe the tape will change my mind, but I think it will just confirm my thoughts.

Bottom line is its a loss. Most didn't really think we were going to win anyways, so it's time to move on. Now it's gut check time. Do we want to lie down the rest of the way or rebound? I for one want to kick Richt's *** on Saturday and finally hand that punk a loss at BDS. It's about damn time he knows what that feels like!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
- very surprised at how bad our O looked, I've never seen us completely owned like that
- the season is not lost, we can still wiggle our way to the ACCCG
- defense has a little more talent than I thought; coaching (scheme) on that side of the ball is a lot worse than I thought, even though they played well
- offense has very little talent, there's no way to put that nicely

Get ready for Richt and MIA. That is all.

I have said it a ton. The defensive scheme is bad and the coaching is poor. I watched so many awful fundamental mistakes on D last night it was nauseating. Roof was getting totally owned in scheme early on.

With that said. They stunk early. It was awful to watch. But they did start playing better. The fundamental errors where still there alot. I cant tell you how many times our cb was playing inside leverage and gave up the post or slant. Or how many times I watched our S roll late on obvious deep cvg. Or watch our lb take on blocks on the wrong side. I was beside myself.

Like @Ibeeballin said marks of a poorly coached unit. Watson missed a ton of big plays.

Now. With all that said. They did perform better as the game went on and tried to give us a chance. But the O is a one dimensional scheme and was getting flat out owned....i am much more encoiraged about our D right now to be honest

In general, the D would be alot better if they were more fundamentally sound....that is why its so hard for me to watch....its the same errors over and over week in and week out. Ugh.

Our O is bad and is worse when its obvious we have no backup answers when the running game is shut down. But it is what it is with our scheme.

Not posting which unit was at fault last night. Its a team game. The D spotted clemson 14 before seats were warm and we were playing from behind. But the O was a bigger disaster.

Last edited:

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
They sold out against the run, played "hack a Shaq" on the receivers when we did go to the pass. The defense played a good half of football.

While there are likely some fundamental issues, find a way to fix those and move on. That's easily the best team we'll face. If we fix some things, we may see them again. Flush it, move on.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I am finding it very hard to hold out judgement. I want to think that the short week had something to do with how we played, but I'm waffling back and forth on whether we are any good or not. We will know for sure against Miami next weekend.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I went into this game thinking we had a chance to win if we played our best, and they were a little off. Turns out we did not play well and they did everything they needed to do to win.
Clemson's D has been the best we have played the last three years. Even 2014 was a struggle for the O to move the ball. They have definitely have taken a step up in recruiting because they were out athlete-ing us at every turn. Our backs could never get their feet under them to make a play. Credit to them...the Tigers are going to do well this season if the keep that level of play up.

Our guys never gave up. They kept fighting and that keeps me optimistic for the rest of the season, which is not lost by any means. We got beat by a very good football team. We can do better and we will.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's pretty obvious now that the reason Clemson struggled against Auburn and Troy is because they were looking ahead to playing us.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has a great D. Will somebody offer Venables 4 mil to take over an SEC school?
Watson, who I doubted as a frosh, has turned into a possible first draft pick. Besides Williams, they had above average skill players. Watson makes that offense go, without him they're just another screen team.
They shut us down for most of the game. I think if Clemson can get past Louisville, they will be tough to stop. I'll be watching that game to see how Louisville fares against their D.

Our team:
Hard to tell in person but it looked like they played us with the safeties in the alley until it was 3rd and long. We didn't get separation anywhere passing despite the lack of safety help. Pass pro was poor, but Clemson will make a lot of teams look bad this year. Running it looks like we just got punched in the mouth early and woke up in the 3rd. At least we fought off the goose egg, but I had flashes of last year's offense and didn't like it one bit. When everything you try gets stuffed, you're in trouble. I expect Clemson to be a lot more talented than us...this has been the case most of my life. What I don't expect is to put single digits in offensive yards against them in a half. Usually option teams go back to the triple if they are getting their stuff pushed in. We didn't, which tells me we aren't proficient at the triple yet. We better get that way.

Defense played well second half. Still missed some big plays, but Watson will do that to a lot of teams. They had bad field position most of the night but kept fighting. Tough luck on the safety, but it was that sort of night. Other than the opening drive, I thought they played well.

Bottom line, it sucks to get whipped but it happens. Our OL and skill players got to see what type of monsters we will need to block . It won't always be 30 yard plays. Sometimes you have a great play and get 7 yards because of defensive talent. We just have to string them together, ala Miami in 14. It can be done, we just arent there yet. I hope we get there soon.
Miami brings a lot less disciplined and talented D this week, but bring just as potent of an offense. If we don't want to get embarrassed again, we better find our mojo.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My biggestcomplaint? The fans in 104. I can't thank the guy who sold me the tickets enough but holy hell. By our second possession I was told to sit down 4 or 5 times. If you want to sit to watch a ducking game...stay at home, man. As a fan of football that is embarrassing. This isn't golf.

I have to admit, this was disappointing. I was in 107 and on the FIRST possession of the game, all I could hear was "Down in front" ... Are you kidding? Except for half time, I don't think I've ever sat down for a game in my life.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I like the Dedrick pass, just wish we would have ran the ball a few time to try and get the safety cheating up more, then hit them with that. Other the other side if derick had a better arm and led our guy it probably would have been a completed pass because we had two yards or so on them.

Yep. If DM would have "set up" better (talking about his throwing technique) that would have been a big play. But he seemed throw the ball a bit "weak" and thus the INT. :(

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit, this was disappointing. I was in 107 and on the FIRST possession of the game, all I could hear was "Down in front" ... Are you kidding? Except for half time, I don't think I've ever sat down for a game in my life.

Same issue in 109, a lot of people with the portable seat backs yelling at people to sit down. And on top of that it felt at times even at the beginning of the game that there were more Clemson fans there or at least around us than Tech fans. Even some Clemson fans made a remark about how poor our showing was at the beginning of the game with a lot of the stands empty till the end of the first quarter

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The goal should always be to "Win games and have fun". Last night, we did neither.

Why? Our boys did great against a far superior team. We got beat. It happens. We'll have to regroup and get the Jackets back into the fight next week.

But ... I think our coaching staff let us down. It's not like they didn't know they were going to play Clemson. The runner up to the National Champions. They knew back in January. It looked to me like they started preparing for the game on Sunday of this week rather than January 2016.

Still ... it's a game and great night at BDS. The saving grace is that most of the Clemson fans work for Tech alumni.