Clemson Postgame

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
For info
Tried to post pregame pic of Clemson defense (lb) doing the cut block drill with I think dc venibles (sic).
He was insising the hold blocker down and spring over him and not around.
Clemson is only team I have seen do this drill?????View attachment 1913
I wish we would drive block more, mix it up with cut blocking 70 percent of the time, and drive blocking 30 percent, so things like this would be harder, they would have to choose if they are gonna have to shed off a drive block or do what they are doing in this photo, it's a lot harder for a defender if you don't know what type of block is coming at you.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok, the guilt is killing me. Last night's loss was on me. I came home about 3 minutes into the 1st quarter to find my 3mo-old having been dressed, by my wife, in a bright orange onesie. I thought nothing of it and settled in to continue to watch the drubbing.

I don't like calling out a fellow Gt fan like this but here goes....you allowed your wife to dress your son in ORANGE...on the day of the Clempson game???? Who is in charge of your home good fellow? IMO, it is lack of attention to detail such as this by the fan base that is ultimately the root cause of such defeats as we saw last night. I too was guilty of negligence. Bourbon is always my pre-game libation of choice (or bloody's for the earlier games). but last night, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I had gin and tonics. So I too share in the guilt and confess here publicly.We are responsible for this loss. I have poured out all of my gin until next summer and hopefully you will destroy any of your young 'uns clothes that are NOT gold and white. If we execute our responsibilities we can still have a pretty good season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't like calling out a fellow Gt fan like this but here goes....you allowed your wife to dress your son in ORANGE...on the day of the Clempson game???? Who is in charge of your home good fellow? IMO, it is lack of attention to detail such as this by the fan base that is ultimately the root cause of such defeats as we saw last night. I too was guilty of negligence. Bourbon is always my pre-game libation of choice (or bloody's for the earlier games). but last night, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I had gin and tonics. So I too share in the guilt and confess here publicly.We are responsible for this loss. I have poured out all of my gin until next summer and hopefully you will destroy any of your young 'uns clothes that are NOT gold and white. If we execute our responsibilities we can still have a pretty good season.

Sir, yes sir!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok, the guilt is killing me. Last night's loss was on me. I came home about 3 minutes into the 1st quarter to find my 3mo-old having been dressed, by my wife, in a bright orange onesie. I thought nothing of it and settled in to continue to watch the drubbing.

After each bungled "dive", after each 8yd cushion on 3rd and 3 I glared at that onesie. It haunted me like Poe's tell-tale heart. By halftime I was seeing those coked-out Clemson mascot eyes on my kid's shirt.

View attachment 1914

I couldn't take it anymore. I changed him into something white at the start of the 3rd quarter. Man why didn't I change him when I first got home?

#LateStart

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It could have been worse.. we could have prepped for like a month and then got embarrassed on national TV by losing 70-33

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's my parents' fault! They got asked to sit in a skybox and abandoned our regular seats. I gave them the silent treatment

1) Your avatar picture makes you look older than 12. Stop blaming your parents.

2) We have a perfectly reasonable explanation from @kg01. There's no need to look further.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's just gonna get better and better as his body matures and as he progress through S&C and as he gains reps. Same for all the young gun OL's. Shamire's not even done getting better. Freddie is about the only OL who has peaked.
I think it's fair to say that given the performance against Clemson, the O line had better not be done getting better. The question to me is how quickly can it get better as in really good. What has been brought home -- to me -- starting in 2014 was how much this offense depends on outstanding, not just good, but outstanding offensive line play. There seems to be so many moving parts and so many intricate blocking patterns and audibles. Just being good is not going to be good enough and in terms of getting back on track Miami is not the team I want to see us play. Dunno why, but Miami can be rough for us.And yet again a good passing team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think it's fair to say that given the performance against Clemson, the O line had better not be done getting better. The question to me is how quickly can it get better as in really good. What has been brought home -- to me -- starting in 2014 was how much this offense depends on outstanding, not just good, but outstanding offensive line play. There seems to be so many moving parts and so many intricate blocking patterns and audibles. Just being good is not going to be good enough and in terms of getting back on track Miami is not the team I want to see us play. Dunno why, but Miami can be rough for us.And yet again a good passing team.
You think we had outstanding o line play in 2014? Or am I reading this wrong? Cpj has said many times our o line wasn't that great, but was made to look better because of skilled position guys.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that those who take solace in the second half performance are making a huge mistake, imho. The game was over by halftime, whether Dabo went conservative on play-calling (he, did..some) or whether their players let up because they knew we were overmatched (imho, they did...some)...the second half means NOTHING. The only stats that are relevant were the first half stats and they represent a butt-whipping of epic proportions.

There is a thread on our offense,e and I must admit that I am over watching any GT QB drop back only to have the pass rush right in his face. On 50% of Clemson's passes, their OLine could have been statues with no blocks and we couldn't have gotten to him. I like that idea. Simple. Called the shotgun. Rush is negated. Throw that 5 yard out and screen and slant all night long. Would we have won the game? Heck, no. But we would have had more of a fighting chance. It has become crystal clear that if you can jam our running game, we are cooked. And our running games doesn't require one or two guys to execute well (as a short passing game does), it requires 5 or 6 guys executing well.

On D, I am sick of the bend but don't break D. We ahem an outstanding rushing defense. But we back our D Backs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage. If we played press defense on the edges, would we have gotten beaten deep? Yup...3 or 4 times maybe. But those are much harder passes to execute well. As it was, we had NO chance on D to stop them because of scheme. Remember, in my view, the 2nd half results were meaningless, and they scored pretty much at will in the 1st half on us...it just took them doing drives instead of quick strikes).

Overall, we may have a 7-5 season. Some will call that successful. If 3 or 4 of the losses are like this one (uncompetitive) the season isn't a success to me. Losing by 10 points in a good game would have been quite acceptable to me. What I saw last night was not. Good passing teams, will beat us handily because we refuse to gamble on D, and our offense is too weak to win the games by outscoring folks.
I could disagree on a couple of points, but even with the hyperbole this is a fair enough summary. Particularly the first vs. second half observation. "Winning" a half means diddly if you lose the game and to me is a loser's lament. We got killed. If anything happened to Clemson in the second half it is they lost interest when we could not compete.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You think we had outstanding o line play in 2014? Or am I reading this wrong? Cpj has said many times our o line wasn't that great, but was made to look better because of skilled position guys.
No, you're reading it right. Put those same '14 skilled position guys behind last year's and this year's line and how would you bet the egg money? Sometimes Johnson is just a grumpy contrarian. Shoot, Shaq Mason alone raised it two levels.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No, you're reading it right. Put those same '14 skilled position guys behind last year's and this year's line and how would you bet the egg money? Sometimes Johnson is just a grumpy contrarian. Shoot, Shaq Mason alone raised it two levels.
No doubt the o line was better in 2014, but besides shaq I do believe our skilled guys helped out a lot.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow

OKAY...OKAY...I admit it...I wore a different hat and I ate at Chick-Fil-A instead of the Varsity. I also took a detour to the bathroom and arrived AFTER Clemson scored. Even worse...my shirt was gold. Forgive me...

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Simple as that, Clemson is an elite football team. Accept it and move on, but I know one thing they better find a way fast to score on more than 26 points next or it will be ugly
Agree with "ballin' Clemson has a good chance against the Cards but Watson has to play better and it will likely take more than 26 points. That line gives the Tigers a chance in any game. They are just that good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree with "ballin' Clemson has a good chance against the Cards but Watson has to play better and it will likely take more than 26 points. That line gives the Tigers a chance in any game. They are just that good.

Watson missed a quite a few throws he's going to make later in the season. They flat out went after Lance Austin, knowing the size and speed advantage they had against him. Lance played hard, but it could have gotten a LOT more uglier had Watson been more accurate.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Watson missed a quite a few throws he's going to make later in the season. They flat out went after Lance Austin, knowing the size and speed advantage they had against him. Lance played hard, but it could have gotten a LOT more uglier had Watson been more accurate.
This post reminded me, there is evidence that we're still building depth on D. It was noteworthy to me seeing Dorian Walker get reps in this type of game. He might have played 2 series. Lamont Simmons continues to get reps as well. I'm hoping this is an indicator that results will trend better as the season progresses.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A Clemson fellow who follows them closely and knows some of the players believes Watson is trying to be perfect on every throw instead of just slinging it and having fun with the game. That, they think, is the big difference so far in this season and last season. He also thought Watson left two to three scores on the field in the first half, even with the blowout, just missing throws. I have my fingers crossed, mostly because I think Louisville lives under rocks and comes out on Saturday, but some because I think Clemson has a clean program and is winning the right way.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
GT got whooped.
Talent wins out.
I will say I thought CPJ would have learned that against talented DlIne (Iowa, LSU, UGA, ect) this pitches work less and less and less. GT has to pass better I quick plays and line up and run straight at them. Those long drop backs not gonna work this pitches not gonna work at least not consistently. That's a big fast physical defense, I figured he'd have adjusted by now.
We need a short quick passing game. Quick slants. Do we have the same O coaches that were here with the 2014 team? We got a QB coach from Cal Poly(?)IIRC. Is he still here?