Clemson Post-game Thread

LibertyTurns

Banned
I said it last year and got blasted, but Geoff Collins is in over his head. He shouldn’t have been hired at Tech.
That’s way premature. Let’s see how the rest of the season goes. We should be 2-3 at this point and are. Like the clown we got beaten by today, he needs to surround himself with good assistants. Maybe they’re here and are just too green, maybe what he’s got needs to find another line of work. It’s his call & he’ll either reap the benefits of the decisions h makes or suffer the consequences. At some point though we need to stop setting records in futility.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
How the **** are people mad about today? Some people need a reality check. We played Clemson. I repeat we Played Clemson. They are on a completely different level than most teams in the country let alone us. Ga Tech is a team full of very young players with a lot of potential and outside of maybe 2-4 players wouldn’t even make the 2 deep at Clemson.
Mad? I’m not sure that’s the emotion I’m feeling. More like apathetic. I mean it’s pretty much the worst appearance on defense I could have imagined. We did a couple good things. The sack, hit that forced the INT, and the forced fumble were awesome. But you can’t just let receivers run past you untouched. And the QB can’t turn the ball over three times a game on a regular basis.

LibertyTurns

Banned
People wake up we played a semi pro team with a very young college team and it would not have mattered if Knute Rockne was coaching GT . We need BETTER players!
Ok we need to line them up in the locker room and tell them they’re all being replaced because they suck.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
With the NCAA being lenient about the transfer portal, I hope Gibbs hangs with us. He would be a star on an established team instead of going through a rebuild.
Ridiculous
With the NCAA being lenient about the transfer portal, I hope Gibbs hangs with us. He would be a star on an established team instead of going through a rebuild.
Ridiculous

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I've soured on Dr. Pee. He was so outcoached by Venerables today that he could have had their offensive players against our defensive players and been held to 7 points. It takes a real idiot not to realize our game had to adjust to slow the clock. AT LEAST make sure you burn 30 seconds on every offensive play.

slugboy

Staff member
Clemson beat Miami 42-17. I think Miami only scored 10 on offense—they had one blocked field goal for a TD.

Miami’s defense has both more depth than ours, and a longer history of high level recruiting than we do, and great team speed — that’s part of the difference between Clemson scoring 42 and Clemson scoring 73.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I've always felt like the transition from the option would be very painful so I'm willing to be patient. Recruiting has been good. We are playing a lot of young guys. We don't have depth or even good depth at most positions yet. However. there is no excuse to get beat like that vs anyone! IMO we have an obvious lack of discipline and accountability right now in the program so a few things that need to be corrected ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

1. We are being outcoached on the defensive side of the ball and making stupid personnel decisions that other teams are exploiting week after week and we continue doing the same stupid **** over and over again. If Thacker can't coordinate his defense any better than this Collins either needs to step in and get more involved on that side of the ball or Thacker needs to go. It starts with gap discipline in the front 6-7 and correcting thru coaching and/or personnel changes the atrocious safety/nickel play on the back end in both the run game and the pass game.

2. There is no excuse in year two to have the issues we have kicking field goals/extra points. None! We don't block correctly and we don't kick correctly most of the time. Totally inexcusable. I've seen little league teams execute field goals better than we do.

3. Anytime you are playing with a true freshman QB the results will be all over the place. Lots of growing pains. I can live with that. What I can't live with is the abject lack of any sense of urgency to take care of the damn football. There are absolutely zero consequences for the nonchalant ball handling that we see week after week from Sims. Never should the ball just fall out of your hand the way it does with Sims. He's a talented guy but his ball handling is atrocious. Bottom line. Protect the damn ball or sit your *** on the bench for a few series until you decide that protecting the damn football is important!!!! If Sims doesn't get the message then he's not the QB of the future. It's that simple. None of us are able to see practice but we play very undisciplined on gameday which tells me that we are not disciplining players anywhere near enough during the week. Ball security and penalties are things we control at all times no matter what the discrepancy in talent may be on the field. There needs to be some level of "O'leary/Friedgen style ball busting" in our program. Collins appears to put up with too much stupid bullshiit.

Bottom line yes we have talent issues across the board that are slowly being corrected with recruiting however the lack of discipline in all 3 phases of the game is indicative of deficiencies with the coaching staff. Throw in the obvious issues with being out schemed weekly on defense by allowing us to continually be caught in unwinnable matchups in the secondary and it's easy to see why we can't stop anyone unless they help us by turning it over or self destructing with penalties and mistakes. Collins needs to get that corrected immediately. These are things we control independent of whoever we are playing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No, second worst we tied for. Clemp put up 73 against us in 1903
Damn it, Clemson just likes to run the score up. Seems that may have been when Heisman was coaching at Clemson and perhaps that game was the impetus for Tech getting him? Let me go check. Yep. The 1903 team did not actually have a coach, no wonder they got beat so bad, and Heisman was the coach at Clemson. He came to Tech in 1904.