Clemson Post-game Thread

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing 73-7 is humiliating and inexcusable... They broke records today. That's a score you see when Clemson plays Northwest Technical College... I haven't seen an ***-whooping that ferocious since Paul Johnson and the boys beat Kansas 66-20... Seriously, that game comes to mind. Or when the 2014 team beat NC State 56-20.

This was obviously worse than that. This was historically bad.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We played the best team in the Nation at the college level. This team is better that uga, better than Alabama, better that tOSU, and by a fairly large margin. We got boat-raced. Big deal. NO ONE expected us not to lose by a large margin. Clemson wanted to make sure that with uga and Alabama playing tonight that they weren't going to be pushed off the spotlight. 73 points is going to keep people talking about them. They could do this to pretty much any team on their schedule.

You guys lamenting and kvetching about the players and the staff need to settle down. There isn't anyone else on our schedule that has the ability to do something like this to us. They're a very good team.

I still see this team ending with a winning record. Today was a wake-up call for Gibbs, Sims, and all the other players that haven't seen a team like this before. Now they know what the A-level is. Now they know what it's going to take to compete at the highest level. Today changes nothing.

slugboy

Staff member
I bet Leach wins 10 games before Collins and Collins has a year head start.
Also, I under appreciated Ted Roof.

above the line, elite program, elite this, elite that, transformation, 404.
Leach and Miss State are getting pounded by Texas A&M at the moment.

Primus_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
The defense did okay containing the run (4.4 ypc). Against Miami it was 5.9. Against UVA it was 4.4. Against Wake it was 4.0.

The problem, as it has been for a long time now, is that our front 7 couldn't do anything to generate consistent pressure. Just completely outmatched. So they could pretty much just park Lawrence back there and give him as much time as he needed to wait for their WRs to get open and then find them. For whatever reason Dabo decided he wanted to put up big numbers today so they threw 50 times instead of the 25 they would normally do in the situation and run the rest.
I believe the defense today good job against the run, resulting in Clemson throwing a great deal more. That was working for them, so they stuck with it. Stop the run, they pass. Stop the pass, however unlikely, they will run on you.

Primus_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't see a Clemson postgame thread yet, so a comment and question here:

Obviously, Clemson had no issue covering the 27 pts. :)

If we are making progress and improving, even slightly, why would we be less of an opponent in year 2 for Clemson than we were in year 1? I'm sure there are some great answers.
If I had to give one simple answer, it would be that Trevor Lawrence seems to be in total control of the offense. As a junior, He seems to just be better this year. If that is even possible, LOL. He just seems to be able to make any play to any player at any time and any place on the field. And then throw in number nine and that kind of seals the deal.

We played the best team in the Nation at the college level. This team is better that uga, better than Alabama, better that tOSU, and by a fairly large margin. We got boat-raced. Big deal. NO ONE expected us not to lose by a large margin. Clemson wanted to make sure that with uga and Alabama playing tonight that they weren't going to be pushed off the spotlight. 73 points is going to keep people talking about them. They could do this to pretty much any team on their schedule.

You guys lamenting and kvetching about the players and the staff need to settle down. There isn't anyone else on our schedule that has the ability to do something like this to us. They're a very good team.

I still see this team ending with a winning record. Today was a wake-up call for Gibbs, Sims, and all the other players that haven't seen a team like this before. Now they know what the A-level is. Now they know what it's going to take to compete at the highest level. Today changes nothing.
It had better be a wake up call for our lousy coaches.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see a Clemson postgame thread yet, so a comment and question here:

Obviously, Clemson had no issue covering the 27 pts. :)

If we are making progress and improving, even slightly, why would we be less of an opponent in year 2 for Clemson than we were in year 1? I'm sure there are some great answers.
We had more time to prepare for Clemson last year, just like for Louisville this year. I'm beginning to wonder what happens on a normal week.......

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No way. You are smoking something, wanna share?
No way based on what? The talent differential is off the charts. I'm not talking about the 1's, although there is a gap there too. The difference between their ATL and our ATL is light-years. Don't kid yourself. Collins's staff would absolutely boat-race Dabo's staff if the teams were reversed. Not even close.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me is how far we are from being competive with the Clemsons and Georgia’s on our schedules. It’s not just that we lose but how badly we lose. We use to be able to compete with everyone on our schedule. That is no longer true. Has college football changed forevever where the best teams are now so much better than everyone else. If so, college football is in trouble. Seems the rich get richer while everyone else struggles to stay above water.

Yeah, this is a college football problem, not a Tech problem. The Clemsons and Georgias only get competition from each other.

That said, we shouldn’t be OK losing by 70. I expected to get beat really badly, but this was worst than it needed to be.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I will choose to comment instead of "like". Because, I don't like your statement, but I also share your concerned opinion. I do believe he is a good guy, a positive guy, a heck of a marketeer, and probably an awesome guy to have on staff, but I will be more than surprised if he turns out to be a top HC. To give him some leeway though, this job is a very, very tough job. It takes a no nonsense SOB, in my opinion, more like O'Leary was.

I do appreciate the strong optimistic delusions I see at times. I actually hope against hope they become a reality, but my logical, fact-based mind, says they will not.
I think I used the word "nasty" in my other thread. You either have to have a "nasty" HC or have "nasty" OC and/or DC, IMO.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven’t read through here but going to post my thoughts.

We were as most expected completely outmanned. Clemson is on a completely different level. The owner the LOS.

Gibbs is special. When we start really blocking for him, it’s going to be fun. His feet and vision are elite.

Sims will be fine.

Biggest gripe is that our LB play and Safety play is atrocious to my untrained eye. I feel like our corners (especially top 2) are above average. Interior DL, LB, and Safety is below average to really bad. DE are solid but young.

I still think we win at least 3 more games this year and I don’t think there is a team left that we cant beat.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It matters to the point so many of you are making that this is simply a talent problem. Really? So Liberty must have better talent than we do I guess.

We have a serious coaching problem and too many of you are in denial. I like CGC. Let's see if he is smart enough to get good coordinators rather than friends.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this is a college football problem, not a Tech problem. The Clemsons and Georgias only get competition from each other.

That said, we shouldn’t be OK losing by 70. I expected to get beat really badly, but this was worst than it needed to be.
We don't turn the ball over where we do and it's in the 50's not 70's. It is what it is. We got man-handled by a team that should have man-handled us. The difference is normally Dabo's not motivated to push the score to make a splash. Today, he felt he needed to.