Clemson Post-game Thread

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
One, coaches could have helped the offense a little more. Running the ball and short passes after we were getting destroyed would have ran the clock down. Two, Dabo running up that score was ridiculous! I hope we get a chance to return the favor soon.

Clem has about 20 Sr’s on their roster, plus TL. Sr’s include #3 Rodgers & #9 ET. Maybe a few stay back for the free year but most will be gone.

They will not be the same team next year - AND NEITHER WILL WE.

Will be interesting to see of the current lot of 19 or so 2021 commits, how many make it to signing day, esp after performance during the 3 losses, which all have been ugly. Unfortunately it probably did not help with some of the “on the fence” recruits, such as Ball. The coaching staff really has their work cut out for them, I wish them the best.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ball is considered an Arkansas lean and they won today. They actually seem to be getting better. I don't know what to say about our performance today. I didn't see any improvement there except we didn't get the extra point blocked. It could have been even worse if Lawrence had played more into the second half.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It kind of makes me sad that something that took years off of my life is now not still part of the GT experience. It was different, it was intense, and it was a "shaft", but when you "got out", you knew you had something that many people would never, ever be able to get.
In today’s world they all need a trophy. It’s also why you get canceled if you don’t toe the party line.

Deleted member 2897

HFK
We had 7 points
None in the second half
Couldn’t care less about our number of yards vs Miami
How many first downs did we have? 6? 7?

The person was butt hurt about our offense. Our offense wasn’t the problem. That’s the point.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
In today’s world they all need a trophy. It’s also why you get canceled if you don’t toe the party line.
I am fortunate that my son is a Tech grad. But I doubt he will agree that he had it easier than the previous generations. Especially his dad. Although I recall my previous generation complained about classes/labs on Saturday.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
f we are making progress and improving, even slightly, why would we be less of an opponent in year 2 for Clemson than we were in year 1 (and at home)?
Several have responded to this, but there’s many logical reasons for this. 1. We played them game 1 last year and they had no clue what we were going to throw at them. 2. Lawrence was coming off winning the Natty as a true freshman and admittedly let the hype and pressure get to him and tried to do too much. 3. Clemson could’ve done this last year if they wanted to. They threw the ball 50 times today. They were out to prove something. 4. We started a true freshman QB and had half of the depth we had coming into the season on the DL out. 5. Lawrence is in mid season from and the best player in the game by a mile.

Well I am here in the ATL sitting on my friends deck. Went to the game. So let me put a little reality into it all. I sat behind Trevor Lawrences' parents today and a friend of theirs. I asked them if they had another son who could go to Tech.... now their friend has a daughter at Tech so take this as is. Trevor's parents said....Trevor is a good student but their is no way he could get in Tech or stay there. For those of you who think we can recruit our way into the level you think we can....just consider what you just read. We need to scheme our way to success and this staff only believes we can run some vanilla pro style offense and defense. I think we will get to be the Chan years and nothing more.
This is not close to being true. Lawrence is obviously intelligent. And as others have mentioned, if you put forth effort as an athlete, it’s almost impossible not to gra
It is our strength. Have you seen our DL and LBs?

I think our CBs are solid. I do think our safeties leave a lot to be desired. I would say our interior DL is a weakness, but I think the DEs are competent and could be a strength (of our defense). LB play is still poor. Wish Charlie Thomas would work back in that rotation. Also still baffled why Swilling switched. Feel like he would be getting significant playing time if he stayed there.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Still disagree. I believe Thomas was one in the 20 mph club.

What do you mean about playing umpire between playing holdovers and "his guys". Does he not play the best players ATL?

I don’t know if he plays the best players or not. My opinion is that he is playing the guys who know the system and have worked hard. Is that always the best player? I’m sure we have more talented freshmen but they may not know the system that well due to COVID cancelling a lot. But I do know a lot of the LB’s and DB’s we are playing wouldn’t be playing for most P5 schools. what else can Collins do in year 2 considering the players he inherited were part of poorly rated classes. As I already mentioned I think we’ll see a lot of guys entering the portal who were recruited by the previous coach. And there is nothing wrong with that on either Collins side or the players side. Collins is going to be judged starting next year so he might as well be judged on guys he brought in. I don’t see why any of this has to be contentious. It’s business. If a player sees the bench is in his future then he has the freedom to do what is best for him. Just like the coaches do.

The person was butt hurt about our offense. Our offense wasn’t the problem. That’s the point.
really, our offense wasn't a problem?

7 points, turnovers, can't get a yard on 2 third and ones? their punter threw for more yards in the 2nd half then we did, yes our offense was a problem and its inconsistent play is week in and week out....

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me is how far we are from being competive with the Clemsons and Georgia’s on our schedules. It’s not just that we lose but how badly we lose. We use to be able to compete with everyone on our schedule. That is no longer true. Has college football changed forevever where the best teams are now so much better than everyone else. If so, college football is in trouble. Seems the rich get richer while everyone else struggles to stay above water.

It has changed significantly in less than ten years. The elite teams are openly paying for players and are getting all the five stars plus many of the four stars. The talent differential between the elite 8 or so which includes Clemson, UGA, and Alabama and the rest of the Power 5 teams is huge and getting wider every year. I do not see this changing anytime soon. Clemson is the only team in the ACC that is truly an elite team. Notre Dame, Miami, and whoever else sneaks up are just good teams with talent that is still much better than ours for the moment.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Friendly reminder: personal attacks on any of our coaches, staff, and most importantly our players is not allowed here. This includes but is not limited to derogatory or "funny" nicknames.

Criticism of our coaches is certainly okay and expected especially after such a loss but I suggest being specific with your concerns and criticism instead of resorting to name calling.
Does that mean we’re going to stop letting people trash our players? There’s numerous comments about them being FCS level talent which they clearly are not.

Deleted member 2897

really, our offense wasn't a problem?

7 points, turnovers, can't get a yard on 2 third and ones? their punter threw for more yards in the 2nd half then we did, yes our offense was a problem and its inconsistent play is week in and week out....

Clemson scored 73 points. No, our offense wasn’t the problem. The analogy was undefeated #5 Miami had 210 yards to our 204. Their offense scored 10 points, we scored 7. IIWII. Just basic math and reality.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Losing 73-7 is humiliating and inexcusable... They broke records today. That's a score you see when Clemson plays Northwest Technical College... I haven't seen an ***-whooping that ferocious since Paul Johnson and the boys beat Kansas 66-20... Seriously, that game comes to mind. Or when the 2014 team beat NC State 56-20.

This was obviously worse than that. This was historically bad.

Actually, it kind of reminded me of the 70-0 beat down Tech put on Elon the first game of I think it was the 2013 season. I was at that game. Hot as Hades it was.

Several have responded to this, but there’s many logical reasons for this. 1. We played them game 1 last year and they had no clue what we were going to throw at them. 2. Lawrence was coming off winning the Natty as a true freshman and admittedly let the hype and pressure get to him and tried to do too much. 3. Clemson could’ve done this last year if they wanted to. They threw the ball 50 times today. They were out to prove something. 4. We started a true freshman QB and had half of the depth we had coming into the season on the DL out. 5. Lawrence is in mid season from and the best player in the game by a mile.

This is not close to being true. Lawrence is obviously intelligent. And as others have mentioned, if you put forth effort as an athlete, it’s almost impossible not to gra

I think our CBs are solid. I do think our safeties leave a lot to be desired. I would say our interior DL is a weakness, but I think the DEs are competent and could be a strength (of our defense). LB play is still poor. Wish Charlie Thomas would work back in that rotation. Also still baffled why Swilling switched. Feel like he would be getting significant playing time if he stayed there.
Not true huh....well I got it strait from his parents today.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Does that mean we’re going to stop letting people trash our players? There’s numerous comments about them being FCS level talent which they clearly are not.
Sure, why don't you guys go ahead and report such posts and we'll evaluate and take appropriate action if needed?

Edit: I posted this as a "question" in case this was regarding a complaint about how post-game commentary was moderated but now it just seems like a bait to a completely different topic altogether which you are welcome to start a separate thread in the lounge if you feel the need.

Last edited: