Clemson on wiretap discussing dropping those bags

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't look good, but it isn't proof. This is a person from a different part of the athletic association describing guys in nice suits hanging around outside of football games. Then an outside person(Blazer) says he interprets that to mean bagmen giving money and gifts to recruits/players. Not that I doubt such things do happen, but this is isn't any kind of proof. This isn't as compelling as Blazer directly saying that he directly paid recruits at other schools.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Doesn't look good, but it isn't proof. This is a person from a different part of the athletic association describing guys in nice suits hanging around outside of football games. Then an outside person(Blazer) says he interprets that to mean bagmen giving money and gifts to recruits/players. Not that I doubt such things do happen, but this is isn't any kind of proof. This isn't as compelling as Blazer directly saying that he directly paid recruits at other schools.

Yeah, I didn't/don't want to agree with RonJohn (no offense) but he's right. This is worse than hearsay.

Now, the dudes that were caught on tape taking money, that's evidence.

This Clemson stuff seems more like slander (or is it libel) to me ... but only because there's no proof.

Deleted member 2897

Um, it was a coach talking about how they pay athletes at their school, LOL. He explained that's why they're so successful now.

So sure, he could totally be making all this up. But I'm not sure why he would - the context of the conversation was about him proving that Clemson knew how to pay athletes without getting caught, so they should be in the game to get Zion.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Um, it was a coach talking about how they pay athletes at their school, LOL. He explained that's why they're so successful now.

So sure, he could totally be making all this up. But I'm not sure why he would - the context of the conversation was about him proving that Clemson knew how to pay athletes without getting caught, so they should be in the game to get Zion.
"That's why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight," Smith said in the video.

"It's a small college town," he later said. "You can come to a game one night, after the game, you see a dude out there in a nice looking suit, you like, 'wait a minute now.'"

This is what he said. He isn't a member of the football staff. In many organizations people from one department believe that people in another department have it easy or get perks when they don't really. Being jealous of how easy things appear to be in a different department is extremely common. Then "dudes wear nice suits"?

As I said before, it isn't that I believe Clemson doesn't pay football players. However, this isn't proof that they do.

Deleted member 2897

This is what he said. He isn't a member of the football staff. In many organizations people from one department believe that people in another department have it easy or get perks when they don't really. Being jealous of how easy things appear to be in a different department is extremely common. Then "dudes wear nice suits"?

As I said before, it isn't that I believe Clemson doesn't pay football players. However, this isn't proof that they do.

I know its not LEGAL proof. But if a coach is in discussions to bring a player like Zion to campus, and is explaining that they know how to pay players like Zion without getting caught, I'd say the odds were extremely high he is being honest. I never meant to imply this recorded conversation would get the coach or the school convicted.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know its not LEGAL proof. But if a coach is in discussions to bring a player like Zion to campus, and is explaining that they know how to pay players like Zion without getting caught, I'd say the odds were extremely high he is being honest. I never meant to imply this recorded conversation would get the coach or the school convicted.

But do you believe that cheating at Clemson is so cavalier that an assistant basketball coach actually has real definitive information about football players being paid? If it was, then it wouldn't be too difficult for reporters to get quotes at bars from assistants or "mis-statements" from people in the athletic department. If the Clemson football staff arranges payments to football players, they aren't going to hold training sessions for the other teams on how to do it.

The statement about "dudes" in nice suits isn't very compelling. There could be guys in nice suits outside of football games for all kinds of reasons. The witness "understood" that to mean that "boosters would give certain things", but he is only an expert at making payments himself not what "dudes" in nice suits do or don't do.

I only responded originally based on the tone of your original post. "Clemson on wiretap discussing dropping those bags" and "Nobody will be surprised by this...except I suppose the NCAA" sound like you are discussing proof. Does Clemson pay football players? It probably wouldn't take a lot to convince me, but vague bragging by someone not involved and "expert" testimony by a crooked financial adviser who is trying to get time taken off of a potential 67 year sentence don't convince me.

Deleted member 2897

But do you believe that cheating at Clemson is so cavalier that an assistant basketball coach actually has real definitive information about football players being paid? If it was, then it wouldn't be too difficult for reporters to get quotes at bars from assistants or "mis-statements" from people in the athletic department. If the Clemson football staff arranges payments to football players, they aren't going to hold training sessions for the other teams on how to do it.

The statement about "dudes" in nice suits isn't very compelling. There could be guys in nice suits outside of football games for all kinds of reasons. The witness "understood" that to mean that "boosters would give certain things", but he is only an expert at making payments himself not what "dudes" in nice suits do or don't do.

I only responded originally based on the tone of your original post. "Clemson on wiretap discussing dropping those bags" and "Nobody will be surprised by this...except I suppose the NCAA" sound like you are discussing proof. Does Clemson pay football players? It probably wouldn't take a lot to convince me, but vague bragging by someone not involved and "expert" testimony by a crooked financial adviser who is trying to get time taken off of a potential 67 year sentence don't convince me.

Why would coaches talk to reporters about how they pay players? Why would they hold official training sessions for how to pay players? None of that makes any sense.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why would coaches talk to reporters about how they pay players? Why would they hold official training sessions for how to pay players? None of that makes any sense.

So why then would an assistant basketball coach have absolute knowledge that the football team did indeed pay players? If the assistant coach has no way of actually knowing that the football team pays players, then why is his statement so compelling to you?

herb

Helluva Engineer

yes, i believe it happens. It has happened as long as there has been college sports. Not everywhere and not everyone, but it does happen. When there is as much money to be made as there is, and the chances of getting caught are slim and none (and even if caught the NCAA literally does not care, just don't let a cousin give a kid a sweatshirt), there is every incentive in the world to do it.

Deleted member 2897

So why then would an assistant basketball coach have absolute knowledge that the football team did indeed pay players? If the assistant coach has no way of actually knowing that the football team pays players, then why is his statement so compelling to you?

Who is asserting he has absolute knowledge? Why are you so up in arms about this? All I did is report the news. A coach at Clemson was caught on a wiretap discussing the paying of Zion and his family to come play at Clemson. To help support his case that they could handle it, knew what they were doing, and could do it without getting caught, he used their football team as a reference.

Its as simple as that.

Yes, he could have completely made all this up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
yes, i believe it happens. It has happened as long as there has been college sports. Not everywhere and not everyone, but it does happen. When there is as much money to be made as there is, and the chances of getting caught are slim and none (and even if caught the NCAA literally does not care, just don't let a cousin give a kid a sweatshirt), there is every incentive in the world to do it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen in college sports. I am not even saying that it doesn't happen at Clemson. I am only saying that an assistant basketball coach making vague statements isn't any kind of proof that Clemson does.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he could have completely made all this up.

That is all I am saying. He could also believe it but have no direct knowledge.

it was an assistant basketball coach talking about how to get Zion, but mentioned how their football team does it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ball-program-into-hoops-corruption-trial/amp/

Nobody will be surprised by this...except I suppose the NCAA.

Clemson is supposedly “looking into it”. Probably just to make sure their guys change suits.

As I said before, I was only responding to your tone. From your statements, I took it that: You believe his statements to be true, You believe that Clemson will pretend to investigate, and that the NCAA "knows" that it goes on but will ignore it.

If I misunderstood you meaning, then I apologize.

Deleted member 2897

That is all I am saying. He could also believe it but have no direct knowledge.

As I said before, I was only responding to your tone. From your statements, I took it that: You believe his statements to be true, You believe that Clemson will pretend to investigate, and that the NCAA "knows" that it goes on but will ignore it.

If I misunderstood you meaning, then I apologize.

Yes, that was exactly what I meant to say...all the way down to the joke about changing suits.

Deleted member 2897

Due to all the new scrutiny and suspicion of cheating in the program, Clemson announced today that Dabo Sweeney is suspended until further notice.

Oh woops, sorry - I meant they announced they will pay him $93 million.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one that is really bothered by Sallee's publishing of testimony from Blazer that was essentially stricken from the record by the judge? The guy, you know, in charge of the actual trial felt that it wasn't appropriate evidence, but Mr. Sallee decides to publish it for the world to see? It's irresponsible journalism and Sallee should know better.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one that is really bothered by Sallee's publishing of testimony from Blazer that was essentially stricken from the record by the judge? The guy, you know, in charge of the actual trial felt that it wasn't appropriate evidence, but Mr. Sallee decides to publish it for the world to see? It's irresponsible journalism and Sallee should know better.

Whether a jury can use a statement to decide guilt or innocence has nothing to do with whether the statement can be published. (1st Amendment and all) Evidence that police find is withheld from juries all of the time, but that doesn't mean that the press is forbidden from publishing the evidence.

Whether people should believe Blazer is a different question.