Clemson @ GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Need the win tomorrow. Making the ACC tourney is at risk.

Agree about the tourney IF and only if we keep playing like we have. We have 7 ACC games left. And we are tied with Wake for 8th/9th place. Suppose we keep playing like yesterday, then I'd expect we lose to Clemson today, take 2 from Pitt (who is awful) and get swept by Miami. That would be 2-5 and put GT 6 games under 500 at 12-18. With that scenario (and gobs of guesses below), we don't make it.

Here's the other bottom dwellers with gobs of guesses based on RPI and game location:
Wake: -3 to 500 currently; games to go are 1 with ND, 3 with NCState, 3 @ Duke. Guess go 3-4, end at -4 (=-3-1).
VT (GT has tie breaker): -5; 2 @ Duke, 3 BC; 3@Pitt. Guess 5-4, end at -4.
NC State: -3; 2 UVa, 3@Wake, 3@Louisville. Guess 3-5, end at -5.
BC (BC has tie breaker): -4; 1 @UNC, 3 @VT, 3 ND. Guess 3-4, end at -5.
Duke (GT has tie breaker): -9; 2 VT, 3@UVa, 3 Wake. Guess 3-4, end at -8.
Pitt (GT should have tie breaker): -9; 3 Miami, 3@GT, 3 VT. Guess 2-7, end at -14.

But if we do as I expect and win 3 or more of the next 7 games, then we are 3-4 and end up at 8th or 9th. We are getting hit hard by the injury bug - Pabst hand (kind of important for catcher), Kel has been hobbled and awful at the plate, Spignola out with ankle and lost pitchers (Ben S + Stanton + ?). I'll also guess our RPI will go from 26th to 35th. That should be good enough to get into the #3 or #4 seed.

It all starts this afternoon. But regardless of whether we back into the ACC tourney or not, I don't see us making a run with our pitching depth and injuries. Last year, we were getting better after a dismal start defensively. This year our defense is getting erratic, offense is slumping even against BC type light weights and pitching is very thin.

It is what it is. I'll keep following and do expect us to be much better next year (no sarcasm) since we aren't losing much this year. But that's another post after the draft......

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From WREK, Spignola out with high ankle sprain jumping into the wall. :mad: Pabst back - left catching hand, not throwing hand with bone bruise getting better. (y) At least this is our last ACC game for 2 weeks.

Gold needs to give us a bunch of innings and throw strikes. (What else is new.) We used 6 pitchers yesterday. But the Clemson pitcher isn't that good - 5.72 ERA and 1.65 WHIP. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=brody-koerner They have thrown their best two starters at us. So let's get to their bull pen and take the series.

Today Kel is going to break out! (Nostradamus moment)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
T5, GT 2-1. We've had runners in scoring position every inning - the first Gonzo got a HR after HBP.

Well Clemson just hit a HR. 2-2. My vibe isn't good but ......... I thought Kel was going to do good. 0-2 and SO with runners on 2nd & 3rd to end an inning.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
3-3 B9, 1 out, none on. Enough said.

U: Pabst draws a walk ...... Innis trys a bunt which is pop out and almost caught. (@Squints must love lead off hitter bunting. :barefoot:) But Innis flairs out.

U: Wild pitch. Pabst to second ...... 2 outs ...... 3-2 count to Bailey. But grounds out to go to extra innings. Another scoring position runner (like 7 or 8) stranded.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gold was a total stud. 105-72, 69% in 9 complete innings. 3 ER, largely long HRs - wind aided.

3-4 to B10. Zac gave up a run. Regardless of outcome, we played better baseball today. No errors.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking forward to the game coming up at Turner field against the mutts.
This series win came at a good time with finals on the horizon allowing for a break in the action.

Maybe it will pay great dividends for ACC pairings for the Tourney.

Great game today!

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
This was a good win. Glad to get it. Good to beat Clemson in any sport.

Now let the boys take their exams and rest a bit, and it'll be time for the Turner game against the dwags soon enough.