Clemson, Georgia Tech will push FSU in 2015 ACC race

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Florida State has won three straight ACC championships, but the Seminoles are not a lock to be the preseason favorites to win the league again in 2015.

This could be the season to catch the Seminoles -- especially with Georgia Tech and Clemson returning top-25 teams.

What could make the difference is quarterback. That remains a big uncertainty in Tallahassee. But Georgia Tech and Clemson return two of the best quarterbacks in the ACC -- both sure to earn preseason votes for ACC Player of the Year.Justin Thomas had a breakthrough season for the Yellow Jackets, the catalyst for an 11-win season and what should be a top-10 final ranking. He has two more seasons in Atlanta. While it is true the Jackets lose terrific players in Zach Laskey, Synjyn Days, Shaq Mason and DeAndre Smelter, the biggest key to efficiency and productivity in the Georgia Tech offense is its quarterback.

Thomas was terrific in his first year as a starter, becoming just the second quarterback to rush for 1,000 yards in school history. He ranks No. 4 in the nation in QBR, a measure of how good a quarterback is on a play-by-play level. From a team perspective, Georgia Tech ranks No. 1 in the nation in rushing offense and third-down conversions, No. 3 in time of possession and No. 7 in first downs -- all testaments to how well the triple-option worked this season with Thomas behind center.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...n-georgia-tech-will-push-fsu-in-2015-acc-race

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Wow no analysis of OL.

As good as Justin is no QB can function well without a good OL. Though it hurts losing Shaq we should still have a great OL.

Wonder if same is true for Clemmens & Seafood? Nice recognition but analysis is lacking. Also no mention of D?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wow no analysis of OL.

As good as Justin is no QB can function well without a good OL. Though it hurts losing Shaq we should still have a great OL.

Wonder if same is true for Clemmens & Seafood? Nice recognition but analysis is lacking. Also no mention of D?
Exactly. I thought the same thing when I read this quote:

"...the biggest key to efficiency and productivity in the Georgia Tech offense is its quarterback."

It could be argued the same for OL. Good thing is we have both areas covered and for at least two more seasons!!!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
My initial reaction: Can FSU reload to push GT in the 2015 ACC race?

I hope we get them early. Without looking at their depth chart, and with Jameis declaring for the draft, I think they will have a lot of regrouping to do.

We all know about Klimpsun with Watson, but there will be many changes on that D. Again, I hope we get them early too.

I would hate to play either team late in the season and possibly have to face a rematch in the ACC CG within a month or less.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I think it's crazy how the defense is getting absolutely NO credit..we will easily have one of the best if not the best defense in the ACC.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it's crazy how the defense is getting absolutely NO credit..we will easily have one of the best if not the best defense in the ACC.
I hope you are right about that, but I am not so sure. It is not like we are going to have a ton of proven depth up front. Essentially, we are replacing Green with Hunt, if he is eligible. Gotsis will have another year and I expect another bit of growth. Gamble is starting to really get his feet under him and that is a good sign. If Freeman can add 20 lbs, we may be looking at a jump there too. However, after these 4 guys, what are we really looking at? Maybe Whitehead will give us a lift on the pass rush. I sure hope so. In any case, we will still be undersized and depth is a question. We ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO generate a pass rush to become a better defense. It is pretty hard to go from nothing to something great without a major aquisition of some kind. Here is hoping. I love your enthusiasm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you're basing this on. Our defensive stats weren't too good this year. Granted they were good enough, and the guys were opportunistic in the turn-over category, but we're far from where we need to be defensively. I'd like to see where we will be if we can get good pressure on the QB in passing situations. In the last game we played, MSU set Orange Bowl records for passing. Not exactly what we want. Against FSU, we couldn't stop them when we needed to.

I'm optimistic about our chances next year, but that's based on a very stout offense and a "good enough" defense. With a strong defense, this team would be unstoppable.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Everything will be in front of us next year. FSU, ND, pups, Miami, VT,and Clemson. Tough row to hoe, but should be one of the toughest SOS in the country.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Everything will be in front of us next year. FSU, ND, pups, Miami, VT,and Clemson. Tough row to hoe, but should be one of the toughest SOS in the country.

Yep, the schedule will be tough and we can't afford to make mistakes and "stub our toes" at the likes of UNC/Duke again. or we could really struggle.
Talent and hope don't make for certain wins. e.g. Oklahoma was #3 in the preseason 2014 coaches poll after kicking the tides butt in their bowl game but now live in the "others receiving votes" category.,

Wow no analysis of OL.

Do you really think ESPN is going to go in depth about our Oline ?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Well, I guess you are probably thinking we will improve greatly and the rest of the ACC will decline. It may be true that most of the ACC will decline, but like Boomer, I cannot see us improving greatly next year. We will not be able to make a quantum leap UNTIL we get more big nasties up front. I do think it is possible we are a little better, but only marginally.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you're basing this on. Our defensive stats weren't too good this year. Granted they were good enough, and the guys were opportunistic in the turn-over category, but we're far from where we need to be defensively. I'd like to see where we will be if we can get good pressure on the QB in passing situations. In the last game we played, MSU set Orange Bowl records for passing. Not exactly what we want. Against FSU, we couldn't stop them when we needed to.

I'm optimistic about our chances next year, but that's based on a very stout offense and a "good enough" defense. With a strong defense, this team would be unstoppable.

Actually, after North Carolina, if you check our stats, go back to points allowed in the 2nd half and you'll see that we made tremendous adjustments, only allowing a few TD's after our game against the Tar Heels (maybe four when we add in the Bowl Game). The point is I think what happened is that Ted Roof decided to let the guys loose, players became more confident in the system, and guys like Freeman stepped up. I expect even more next year as another year of working in his system is under their belts, more of Roof's players are finally on the field (Groh's players are cycling out), etc.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess you are probably thinking we will improve greatly and the rest of the ACC will decline. It may be true that most of the ACC will decline, but like Boomer, I cannot see us improving greatly next year. We will not be able to make a quantum leap UNTIL we get more big nasties up front. I do think it is possible we are a little better, but only marginally.

Ha ok we'll see..I'll take whitehead and freeman all day

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The big thing here is that we don't need the best D in the ACC. If we can rank consistently in the top 30 Ds in the country (i.e. if we can play an entire year like we did in the last 5 games), we should do just fine, thank you very much. Admittedly, generating more of a pass rush is a priority as is getting some depth at DT. And there are some real questions about both of those. Still, I think we'll be ok, if not great, on D.

Then all we have to do is get our new O players up to speed and avoid injury as well as we did this year. (All, he says, all.)

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The D made huge strides second half of the season, but we have ways to go before we're best in the ACC. D line has to improve and LB pass coverage is a weakness.