Clemson game thread

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Please oh please basketball gods give us this day our daily win. Forgive us our turnovers. Thy will be done, in little John. Forever and ever amen.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Frankly the come back here has been nice to see. This team still won't quit and I hope they get rewarded with a w finally.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well it's another one in the books and another loss in the column.

Thanks for fighting and trying as hard as you did men, I wish we'd seen it end our way.

I'm shell shocked

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This is crazy, I love our players, but how many times can we just fall apart at the end of a game.

they fought so hard to come out of such a deep hole from the first half...only to fall apart in OT...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Several thoughts about this game:

The first 14 minutes were the worst exhibition of basketball I ever witnessed from a Ga Tech team. Hands down. Not close.

From then on, until the end of regulation, this team looked like they had the skill and character of a winner. Someone remind me of a comeback from a deeper hole. I don't remember one.

Then, in overtime, the team we saw in the first 14 minutes took the floor.

The reason we see comments from people wanting to keep CBG for another year is that stretch from 6:00 in the first half to the end of regulation. The rest of us wonder why we would keep a coach that had his team in that position to begin with. And then, with a fresh start in OT, did the same thing again. Beats the hell out of me.

slugboy

Staff member
Several thoughts about this game:

The first 14 minutes were the worst exhibition of basketball I ever witnessed from a Ga Tech team. Hands down. Not close.

From then on, until the end of regulation, this team looked like they had the skill and character of a winner. Someone remind me of a comeback from a deeper hole. I don't remember one.

Then, in overtime, the team we saw in the first 14 minutes took the floor.

The reason we see comments from people wanting to keep CBG for another year is that stretch from 6:00 in the first half to the end of regulation. The rest of us wonder why we would keep a coach that had his team in that position to begin with. And then, with a fresh start in OT, did the same thing again. Beats the hell out of me.
Worse than Kennesaw State in 2010, UNC Greensboro in 2007?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Having one true shooter would do wonders for our "offense". I know that's pretty obvious (as any team needs great shooters to be successful), but if we had just ONE guy to make teams respect us from outside and help us space the floor we'd have at least 6 more wins.

Is Anthony Morrow the last pure shooter this program has had? He's definitely proven himself to be a shooter in the NBA but I remember him even being a little inconsistent here.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
The reason we see comments from people wanting to keep CBG for another year is that stretch from 6:00 in the first half to the end of regulation. The rest of us wonder why we would keep a coach that had his team in that position to begin with. And then, with a fresh start in OT, did the same thing again.

The reason is because Tech is still paying off Hewitt and the team is not generally getting blown out in games. Don't know why the team would be so lackluster at the beginning; maybe tired with a 12.00pm tipoff, which sometimes happens to home teams in early games. They did wake up and put up a good fight. Don't know how great Jimbo Fisher is as a motivator or game manager, but I'm assuming is better than average. And still FSU had problems getting started last year and had to play sharp to get back in most games. Don't know why his players were that way, but it's certain he tried to motivate them each week. Sometimes you get a team that comes out slack no matter how well you try and motivate them. This is probably the issue with Tech's basketball team this year.

As far as the comeback goes, either (a) CBG is motivating them to believe and to play well, (b) the players like him enough and want to play hard to save his job, or (c) maybe a combination of both. Either way, the statistics of so many close games going into the L column are overwhelmingly outside statistical chance. It's really puzzling. One or two more shooters on this team, and the record is much different. Let CBG play out his final year, and see if he can turn it around. Nothing lost there. If he does turn it around, most everyone will be happy.

Record-wise, Coach Chan Gailey did a better job with the football program, yet from the outside it appeared he didn't really care whether he was at Tech or not, at least not for the long haul... and that was probably a concern for many people. And he never beat Georgia. CBG on the other hand really seems to care, which is why I believe with so many close losses he ought to be given the benefit of the doubt and be allowed to coach out his contract.

Last edited: