Clemson game thread

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet that we blast Clemson tonight. Wouldn't surprise me to see us win this one by double digits (or to see us lose by 4 after having led the majority of the game).

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am saying we lose by 3...Roper hits a big shot withabout 6 seconds left to win the game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They have been much better since putting Roper in the starting lineup and having him go on a shooting tear. He has to be defense priority #1. Take him out and this becomes a different game. You also have to make Blossomgame work for his points. If Roper goes nuts from 3 again it won't be pretty.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They also just rolled VT which while that isn't impressive, we did lose to VT, at home.........with a 10 pt lead.......:cry:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally I think this game is more likely to be a 4 pt loss than a 15 pt loss (or a 15 pt win for that matter). These two teams tend to play close - with Clemson always pulling out the win. Sort of what I expect tonight.

It's also hard to replicate the 3-pt shooting that Clemson got Saturday. Hit their first 5 threes in each half. This from the team that came in as the worst 3-pt shooting team in league games.
Maybe they will be hot again (or more notedly Roper or maybe Harrison will be), but the odds wouldn't favor it.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Important to keep Clemson (Blossomgame) off the boards. As mentioned above, Roper and Harrison are big threats offensively from deep - must close out on them. Blossomgame has improved tremendously compared to last year, but we can be physical with him inside, especially with our bigger bodies. If they had their druthers, the game would finish in the 50's, which is our proven pace of play as well (for better or for worse). Rod Hall is a good on ball defender, our PG's must protect the basketball in order for us to be successful.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To add to the keys.
Clemson has won their last 5 games when Roper scores 12 or more points. You have to take him out of the game. Blossomgame will get his probably - but you cannot let Roper get off. Bolden needs to hound him from the opening tip. Roper is not a big kid, he is left handed though so you have to remember to make him play to his right.

Why do I have no faith we will win, and why do all the losses still hurt?! I still get upset with every loss - even though I expect them, that can't be healthy.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You want to see how close that edge is, look at the ACC stats.
GT 39.8% FG, 31.8% 3FG, 70.1% FT, 148 Assts 157 TO, +5.2 RB margin, 62.2 ppg
CL 38.9% FG, 31.9% 3FG, 65.7% FT, 134 assts, 133 TO, +2.3 RB margin, 59.0 ppg

Defense
GT 43.8% FG, 34.1% 3FG, 68.3% FT, 175 assts ,143 TO, 64.8 PPG
CL 38.5% FG 33.2% 3FG, 68.9% FT, 139 assts, 128 TO, 58.5 PPG

The teams are almost identical on offense, GT rebounds a little more but that is basically it.
Clemson is a little better defensive team and that has allowed them to win 5 more games.
GT could easily be 7-6 in the ACC like Clemson and isn't simply because of about 1 possession a game.