Clemson Game Open - GT opens at 26.5-27 point dog

Deleted member 2897

Two years ago, Dabo pulled the starting QB for a true freshman against us. Technically true.

I am not going to do it again or go look it up in our archives, but after the game I went back to the video of the game on youtube to the 4th quarter when they were up 6 touchdowns. I am going from memory but something like 8 of the guys playing on defense were starters.

If you go back and look at the box score from the 2018 game, it was 42-21 with 4 minutes left in the game. Dabo called a long pass play, and Clemson scored on a 30 yard catch from Trevor Lawrence to Tee Huggins. Just let that sink in. 4 minutes left in the game, now its 49-21, and guys like Trevor Lawrence and Tee Huggins (and many of the rest - Travis Etienne and Amari Rogers etc were in there too) were still playing. That's his right - its our responsibility to stop them. But my point is that Dabo likes to beat the spread. He'll leave in his starters as long as he thinks he needs to in order to guarantee that. The so-called "back door cover" isn't something I'd bet on against them.

Here is the link to that long pass play:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We should be able to put up 14 points based off of the # of possessions we should get this game, Clemson plays so quickly (or maybe 12/13 depending if we ever learn how to block XPs).

I expect Clemson to score on about 60-70% of their possessions, probably getting up to low/mid 40s.

A spread of 28 sounds about right, with our failure to convert XPs could make the difference on the hook whichever way the line goes.

Yep, watching most of that Clemson and Miami game showed they do not fool around. Lawrence is very good at seeing the field and throwing the ball to different receivers at different levels. A lot of quick wide receiver bubble type screens and mixed in with passes to the backs and tight ends. Seems they run a lot of crossing routes which you can do with a good offensive line. Of course, Et however, you spell his name is a worthy Heisman candidate who can hurt you in so many ways. Miami was lucky that the score did not reflect the dominance Clemson had throughout the game. It was not as close as the scoreboard would indicate to me anyway.

Deleted member 2897

Miami was lucky that the score did not reflect the dominance Clemson had throughout the game. It was not as close as the scoreboard would indicate to me anyway.
Well the blocked kick TD off a 61 yard attempt in the rain was a gift. There was no time on the clock, so that makes it 42-10. Clemson had 3 kicks blocked. So just absent everything else, 5 touchdowns was really what the margin was without any real woulda coulda shoulda. And that's against a team packed front to back with 4-star athletes who were averaging almost 45 points a game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
They play the Frozen Fruits after us, so I don't think they'll be too worried about resting up. You'd think he'd let some of those benchwarmers get some practice, but he does appear to want to make sure his 'friends' get their bets covered.

The Miami thing was to show potential recruits who's who, but why run up the score on us other than to make sure your that buddies at the golf course know that you'll cover them.

Primus_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Clemson. Looking past the points that stats are not that impressive considering what everyone thinks and expects of them.
Have you not noticed that the water boys are playing most of the third and fourth quarter, LOL? Clemson could have twice the stats if they desired. They believe in everyone playing if possible. Stats don’t always tell the whole story. That is why they rarely cover the spread in Vegas.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
About what I thought. Our D has to really show up at the beginning of the game, we can't have another blocked kick and offense needs to control the snaps and penalities. We can at least be competitive if we can do those things
Asking a little to much for kicks not to be blocked?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The last few years, Dabo has had most of his starters in the rotation still in the first half of the fourth quarter even when up 4 touchdowns. I think he always wants to cover, even if it risks his top players.

newsflash. Many. Many. Games are fixed

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
It's gonna be funny when we get the ball first and score, then when Clemson gets the ball we finally get a turnover on defense after two games and go up by 14. We catch Clemson off guard and keep it close, but stay ahead going into halftime and then get another turnover or two and end up winning by 3.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
It's gonna be funny when we get the ball first and score, then when Clemson gets the ball we finally get a turnover on defense after two games and go up by 14. We catch Clemson off guard and keep it close, but stay ahead going into halftime and then get another turnover or two and end up winning by 3.
Gibbs getting 200 yards this game calling it

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Single digit LB v Etienne be like:

1602551550046.gif

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Have you not noticed that the water boys are playing most of the third and fourth quarter, LOL? Clemson could have twice the stats if they desired. They believe in everyone playing if possible. Stats don’t always tell the whole story. That is why they rarely cover the spread in Vegas.
I just assumed the person was joking. Saying their stats aren't good is laughable.

Deleted member 2897

Well the answer really is it depends. While he does rotate a lot of players during most games, Dabo always has most of his starters in the game against us (I haven’t looked against other teams). He always wants to beat the spread. I’ve showed video before where 8 of the 11 defenders on the field against us were starters in the 4th quarter when they’re up several touchdowns. Yesterday I showed video of how Amari Rogers, Tee Higgins, Travis Etienne, and Trevor Lawrence were on the field against us with 4 minutes left in the game up 6 touchdowns.

Deleted member 2897

@CuseJacket - i’m not trying to troll our team or be disrespectful or start a fight, but given the fact that Clemson has averaged about 45 points a game for years and wins most of their games by at least 3-4 touchdowns, I’m wondering if we should switch up the prediction poll this week to something like:
1) GT Wins
2) Clemson < 7
3) Clemson < 14
4) Clemson < 21
5) Clemson > 21

It just feels like 90% of us will pick Clemson > 14, so what’s the point? Just something to chew on.

I am not going to do it again or go look it up in our archives, but after the game I went back to the video of the game on youtube to the 4th quarter when they were up 6 touchdowns. I am going from memory but something like 8 of the guys playing on defense were starters.

If you go back and look at the box score from the 2018 game, it was 42-21 with 4 minutes left in the game. Dabo called a long pass play, and Clemson scored on a 30 yard catch from Trevor Lawrence to Tee Huggins. Just let that sink in. 4 minutes left in the game, now its 49-21, and guys like Trevor Lawrence and Tee Huggins (and many of the rest - Travis Etienne and Amari Rogers etc were in there too) were still playing. That's his right - its our responsibility to stop them. But my point is that Dabo likes to beat the spread. He'll leave in his starters as long as he thinks he needs to in order to guarantee that. The so-called "back door cover" isn't something I'd bet on against them.

Yes, his starting quarterback played the first quarter and we were holding our own. Lawrence came in and it was over. To defend Dabo, it was 42-21 and we were coming back on them. Could we have won, maybe not but he wanted to ice the game.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, his starting quarterback played the first quarter and we were holding our own. Lawrence came in and it was over. To defend Dabo, it was 42-21 and we were coming back on them. Could we have won, maybe not but he wanted to ice the game.

Clemson had the ball on 1st down on our 30 yard line with 4 minutes left, up by 3 touchdowns.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Let's just make sure he doesn't beat the spread. Keep it a 21 point game. If we have to rough them up, so be it.

Deleted member 2897

With Clemson uniquely you should always bet the spread with them. Dabo wants to win, but not like other coaches where with a safe lead they play bench players necessarily. It’s only a safe lead OVER the spread. One of these days one of his star players are going to get injured during junk time and it’s going to be a bad look.