Clemson defense lives up to preseason billing

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am torn on how good I think Clemson's defense is. Clearly, their DL is athletic and talented and deserves some credit for a great season. The problem is, they really haven't played anybody other than uga and FSU. Of their opponents so far this season. only two are ranked in the top 50 total offenses. (uga 37 and FSU 40) They have one FCS school that they held to 44 total yards and Wake Forest, who is so inept that they aren't even ON E$(EC)PN's stat boards for Total Offense. (Cut off at #124. WF averages 203 total yards per game) Adding to that, their game against FSU was played against the backup QB while Winston was out. So, while I am sure Clemson's D is definitely one of the better ones we will face this season, I am not sold on their #2 ranking. Currently, 4 of our previous opponents, along with Clemson and uga, have defenses in the top 35. We were able to move the ball well on all of those defenses. Specifically Miami, who is ranked #11. I don't know that this game is a runaway, but I do think it is very winnable.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is not our first rodeo facing a stout DL this year. VT, Miami and Duke (yes, Duke) come to mind. Guess what, we are better now than when we played those teams.

While I tend to agree with this, I think similar arguments can be made on both sides of this question. When you compare their D to the offenses they've faced and our O to the defenses we've faced, you see the strength magnified exponentially against the weaker opponents. It's not just that their D stopped weaker opponents. It's that it humiliated them for the most part.

VPI is really the only very good D we've faced, and our O only scored on only 4 of 11 possessions, 2 TDs and 2FGs. Our D scored a TD for us. So, even if our O has improved, does that translate to two more TDs, two more FG's, or what, over 11 drives?

I could see this game ending up as a blowout in either direction or anything in between.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
VPI is really the only very good D we've faced, and our O only scored on only 4 of 11 possessions, 2 TDs and 2FGs. Our D scored a TD for us. So, even if our O has improved, does that translate to two more TDs, two more FG's, or what, over 11 drives?

I understand what you're saying, but I also think we are a different team than when we played VT. With the exception of the Dook debacle of turnovers and false starts on touchdowns, NO defense has even slowed us down AT ALL since that VT game. We just have too many options (ok ok) to beat a defense. CU's will be good, but I have no fears about our O. D, however, terrifies me... I still like us in this one.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a tough one to predict. All I know is this: I would hate to be a DC trying to figure out what to do against us, regardless of how many studs I had in the barn. It takes a lot more than great players to stop us right now. It takes great players who are both really well prepared and well disciplined. Even then it is tough. The numbers advantage of the TO is always there. We are executing and we are executing fast. We are beating teams through the air when then they commit too many resources to the LOS.

Anything can happen. Kids are kids and they aren't the most consistent entities in the universe. However, I like our chances to move the ball well.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson's defense acquitted themselves well in Athens until the 4th quarter... That was a hot, hot August day, very humid. I think Clemson got gassed in the 2nd half, and Georgia's depth at running back proved the difference. At that point all they had to do was keep rotating fresh RB's and there wasn't much Clemson could do after that. Cole Stoudt probably got rattled, too, forced into the position of having to play comeback and really wasn't up to it in his first start. They might have kept it close in the 4th with Watson at QB, but I don't think their D could have stopped Gurley & Co. in that heat. It will be interesting to see how the cooler weather affects both squads... All things being equal, with such a tough opponent as Clemson I think the noon start might favor the visiting team because they're on the road, in a hotel together (I assume?) which fosters team bonding, and their staff will have them awake and ready to play. I think noon games can cause the home team to come out flat-footed at times, so hopefully Coach Johnson will have this team awake and ready. If Tech can come out and put up a lot of points early and chew up clock -- plus make some key stops -- I think the Jackets can pull it out.