@Clemson Baseball

How many games will GT win @Clempson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Day off on Saturday probably helped neutralize the momentum we gained after the second game. Sad our pitching took us out of today early, but three runs isn’t winning many games on offense either.

Big upcoming week.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Won one fortunately. Sort of most likely expectation. Our team never gives up. But our pitching got raped this weekend.

We still control our destiny. Just beat Auburn on Tuesday. Need win @ home over #51 RPI to tread RPI water and stay at 48 or better.
Ok.
My RPI rant last time this weekend ;)

I talked to tech baseball dads and they are both ticked off by the RPI. I agree that it is based on formula's and heavily weighted to road games and SOS but the formula's need tweaking.
Here's the issue....You will have SIGNIFICANT SEC bias in the selection committee and I guarantee you that the committee will use anything to benefit and/or hinder a non sec team.

Most projections have tech in as a 3 seed and winning one at Clemson only strengthens that but here we sit at 48. They will use that to justify keeping us out.

I've been told the RPI is just a tool for the committee. True until they need to put in a SEC team.

So here is the latest that is confusing...
Nc State
RPI- 22
Worse overall record than tech @ 26-18
Tech is 28-17
Acc record is - 13-10
Tech is 12-12

We are 26 spots behind them and swept them.

Another one is Alabama
RPI- 16
28-18
Sec 9-14
32 spots ahead of us

Last one is UCF
RPI- 31
SOS-41
29-15 and 11-12 in Big 12
They are 17 spots higher

In the end Jackets, win and get in cause if the SEC committee can screw you, they WILL. Go Beat Duke and FSU and shut em ALL UP!!!!

Ga Navy Nuke

Gotta agree about our relentless hitting this weekend at Clemson and you are right...our pitching took it on the chin this weekend. Some pitching bright spots though
Carson Ballard was solid in relief against a touch Clemson lineup
Terry Busse had a shutdown inning
Cam Jones pitched well over all as I just think they dinked and dunked him most of the day

That short porch in LF is ridiculous. Look at our hr's. Everyone of our hr's were way out of the yard. Multiple Clemson hr's barely cleared that lf wall. Many times I thought that's an easy fly ball to Yunger. Nope....gone! It's a bit silly

My experience at Doug Kinsmore Stadium
Most gimmick filled stadium I've ever been to
Down the lf line- 310 (that's high schoolish)
Down the rf line- 320

I went to Pope and our dimensions are bigger.. Multiple hr's that Clem's Son hit down that lf line barely cleared 310. If that was hit at the Rusty C, it is a double or an out.

Both dad's I spoke to this weekend have pitcher's on the team and they thought the playing of that silly music after EVERY single ball all the way up till the pitcher went into his motion was complete garbage. I agree. Bush league baseball. Add to the garbage about trying to confiscate Beccheti's bat was just stupid.

I will now root against clem's son against every team they play including the regionals they host.
Their home field gimmick is so pronounced that we win with regularity at the Rusty C but rarely win there. Why...I have my opinions on that. We took 2 of 3 from Clemson last year at home and they were the #3 national seed. I'm just saying....

Ok...time to move on to Awbarn and Puke.

HUGE with a capital H games coming up.

I think we go 3-1 this week.

I can't make Tuesday against the Barn as my son has his playoff game but bring em home boys!

We accomplished what we needed to in Clemson by winning at least one. We solidified our # 3 seed imo. Just hoping committee doesn't use rpi to screw us over. I'll say it now cause it has more impact knowing what these jokers will try to do

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Day off on Saturday probably helped neutralize the momentum we gained after the second game. Sad our pitching took us out of today early, but three runs isn’t winning many games on offense either.

Big upcoming week.
Something was fishy about the rescheduling....IJS

There was no rain on Saturday

I listened to the coach Bakich show on the way up to today's game on the Clemson baseball network. He even stated that he went to the lake with his family since there was no game as the weather was great.

Clemson will do anything for an advantage...I saw that ALL weekend from pa guy, to fans, to the music played all the way up to the motion of the opposing pitcher, to coach, to stadium design.

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok.
My RPI rant last time this weekend ;)

I talked to tech baseball dads and they are both ticked off by the RPI. I agree that it is based on formula's and heavily weighted to road games and SOS but the formula's need tweaking.
Here's the issue....You will have SIGNIFICANT SEC bias in the selection committee and I guarantee you that the committee will use anything to benefit and/or hinder a non sec team.

Most projections have tech in as a 3 seed and winning one at Clemson only strengthens that but here we sit at 48. They will use that to justify keeping us out.

I've been told the RPI is just a tool for the committee. True until they need to put in a SEC team.

So here is the latest that is confusing...
Nc State
RPI- 22
Worse overall record than tech @ 26-18
Tech is 28-17
Acc record is - 13-10
Tech is 12-12

We are 26 spots behind them and swept them.

Another one is Alabama
RPI- 16
28-18
Sec 9-14
32 spots ahead of us

Last one is UCF
RPI- 31
SOS-41
29-15 and 11-12 in Big 12
They are 17 spots higher

In the end Jackets, win and get in cause if the SEC committee can screw you, they WILL. Go Beat Duke and FSU and shut em ALL UP!!!!

Ga Navy Nuke

Gotta agree about our relentless hitting this weekend at Clemson and you are right...our pitching took it on the chin this weekend. Some pitching bright spots though
Carson Ballard was solid in relief against a touch Clemson lineup
Terry Busse had a shutdown inning
Cam Jones pitched well over all as I just think they dinked and dunked him most of the day

That short porch in LF is ridiculous. Look at our hr's. Everyone of our hr's were way out of the yard. Multiple Clemson hr's barely cleared that lf wall. Many times I thought that's an easy fly ball to Yunger. Nope....gone! It's a bit silly

My experience at Doug Kinsmore Stadium
Most gimmick filled stadium I've ever been to
Down the lf line- 310 (that's high schoolish)
Down the rf line- 320

I went to Pope and our dimensions are bigger.. Multiple hr's that Clem's Son hit down that lf line barely cleared 310. If that was hit at the Rusty C, it is a double or an out.

Both dad's I spoke to this weekend have pitcher's on the team and they thought the playing of that silly music after EVERY single ball all the way up till the pitcher went into his motion was complete garbage. I agree. Bush league baseball. Add to the garbage about trying to confiscate Beccheti's bat was just stupid.

I will now root against clem's son against every team they play including the regionals they host.
Their home field gimmick is so pronounced that we win with regularity at the Rusty C but rarely win there. Why...I have my opinions on that. We took 2 of 3 from Clemson last year at home and they were the #3 national seed. I'm just saying....

Ok...time to move on to Awbarn and Puke.

HUGE with a capital H games coming up.

I think we go 3-1 this week.

I can't make Tuesday against the Barn as my son has his playoff game but bring em home boys!

We accomplished what we needed to in Clemson by winning at least one. We solidified our # 3 seed imo. Just hoping committee doesn't use rpi to screw us over. I'll say it now cause it has more impact knowing what these jokers will try to do
Concerning the Clemson field and dims down the line …….. both teams played in the same park.

Bottom line was our pitching was not good, giving up 11, 12, and 9. If we do make a regional, that won’t be good enough to get out of it. Pitching has shown “flashes” of brilliance this year, but no real consistent goodness.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Concerning the Clemson field and dims down the line …….. both teams played in the same park.

Bottom line was our pitching was not good, giving up 11, 12, and 9. If we do make a regional, that won’t be good enough to get out of it. Pitching has shown “flashes” of brilliance this year, but no real consistent goodness.
I would also note that those dimensions down the lines are similar to Yankee Stadium. Yankee Stadium is 314 down the left field line and 318 down the right field line. I know Techcaster is saying Kinsmore is 310 and 320 respectively, but it is listed at 320 and 330. He could be right, I'm not sure, but it's in the same neighborhood as Yankee Stadium. I would also note that we have the short porch in the RCF power alley at 355 feet, and we typically (not this year) build our team around that. IMO teams should construct their fields to advantage a certain style of play and then build their team around that. But that's just my opinion. I know that the Tampa Rays intentionally look for pull hitters who hit flyballs at a high rate in order to take advantage of Tropicana Field's dimensions down the lines, which are 315' and 322'.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree that both teams played in the same park however Clemson practices there

We also are not an extreme pull team

They are. And regarding the dimensions….it is in big block white numbers. Take it up with Clemson SID cause I was there all three games.

310 left field line
320 right field line

Couldn’t agree more regarding pitching

Gotta do better than that

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

If we do make a regional, anything beyond that will be gravy. You can argue this team has already overachieved relative to expectations. Getting into the post-season ... no argument.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Realistically speaking, I hope we can make a regional and win a game. No way do I see us making a Super.
I know we talk a lot about the failures of the program in the Regionals, but the team is due to "get lucky" in one. I agree with Techcaster that our most likely matchup is getting sent to Athens. Looking at D1Baseball's projections from last Wednesday, but substituting UGa as the host instead of South Carolina, in Game 1 we would get Coastal Carolina. With a decent performance from Finateri we could certainly beat them in this game, as they have no stud pitchers. Then in the all-important Game 2 I could see Cam Jones stepping up with the performance of a lifetime. Then you still have Tate McKee and a deeper bullpen than we are used to to get one more win. Last year Arizona proved in the MLB postseason that, in baseball, just get in. There's a lot of variance then in play over a short weekend.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
We won't match up well with teams with 3 good pitchers in a 3 game series. If a team only has 1 or 2 good pitchers, I like our chances.
Cam Hill
Logan Maguire
Terry Busse

Think about our opening day rotation
Busse, Hill, Maguire

We’ve gotten very little from the three above but to win a regional, we will need all three imo

Each will need to perform in a regional for us to have success

Completely unfair to Tate to be forced into rotation as that was supposed to be taken by Cam and Logan

Think how tough our pen would be with Tate available as a relief pitcher

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we do make a regional, anything beyond that will be gravy. You can argue this team has already overachieved relative to expectations. Getting into the post-season ... no argument.

The team has NOT overachieved relative to my expectations at the beginning of the year given the recruited and transfer talent.

We have overachieved if the start point is after the 6 game ACC losing streak to UNC and BC.

Like RPI, IIWII. Something else has to change.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The team has NOT overachieved relative to my expectations at the beginning of the year given the recruited and transfer talent.

We have overachieved if the start point is after the 6 game ACC losing streak to UNC and BC.

There a couple of themes here:

a. We're ether recruiting well and underdeveloping our talent or not recruiting as good as we think as the rating are overinflated maybe due to injuries, maybe due to how our recruits get exposure. I think it's more the latter, the rare exception being Burress, however we do have a stable of pitchers in MLB that seem to be doing well so I see the other point of view.

b. Secondly, we're a favorable destination for recruits but I think our fanbase across the sports (football, basketball, baseball) have unreasonably elevated expectations. We do not win big games a lot, that's our heritage. We can be very good, but darre I say it a cut below elite.

Maybe it's coaching, maybe it' because GT gives them a back up plan and they don't necessarily need to make the NFL or NBA or MLB. Other teams going pro is the only legitimate option these kids have. King's going to Med school, we have a PhD on the football team. Lastly, our fans are not engaged. 1k fans at our games 3-4k at away games. Makes a difference.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

I suspect that Fred is noting that, to this point, the team has been slightly better than most pre-season prognostications. My memory told me, and I confirmed with a couple of DDG searches, that the expectation was for a 10th or 11th place finish in conference and missing the NCAA Tournament. Baseball America had us picked as "The Next Four Out", meaning somewhere in the 5th - 8th spot of teams missing the tournament. TBH, a 10th place finish in conference and one of the top teams out of the NCAAs is still a possibility if we falter in these last two weekends, so I don't think we can count our chickens just yet, but so far the team has slightly exceeded expectations.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect that Fred is noting that, to this point, the team has been slightly better than most pre-season prognostications. My memory told me, and I confirmed with a couple of DDG searches, that the expectation was for a 10th or 11th place finish in conference and missing the NCAA Tournament. Baseball America had us picked as "The Next Four Out", meaning somewhere in the 5th - 8th spot of teams missing the tournament. TBH, a 10th place finish in conference and one of the top teams out of the NCAAs is still a possibility if we falter in these last two weekends, so I don't think we can count our chickens just yet, but so far the team has slightly exceeded expectations.

I agree we have probably slightly exceeded external expectations . Those expectations are largely based on the last few seasons performance and don't usually consider recruiting class or transfers but assume that program continue in the same broad brush way. That is usually the best assumption I think from football correlations I remember.

Here's the external expectations, which aren't good enough for me. I agree with @GT33 above as to general likelihoods of why we haven't performed to recruited and transferred talent ratings.

This team (like Hall too :rolleyes:) will never quit. I don't blame the players at all.

1714995364142.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. I am attempting to make a point about this season ONLY. Nobody believes Ga Tech's baseball program should set the bar where we are (or will be at season's end) in general. However, you have to dance with the girl that brung you. When this season started, I had no clue what to expect. One (Geisler) returning regular player. A mix-match of transfers from places like Ga State, Wofford, Maryland, Indiana, Fairfield and NC State. Our pitching has always been a liability... and we were starting anew with Coach Taylor. All that... gave me at best "not good info" (maybe it'll work) and at worst... a "rebuild/development" year (could be a pretty bad record)

I assume the prognosticators had no idea how the team would come together either and that kept the pundits luke-warm (at best) on how the team would perform.

All credit to anyone who took all that preseason info (not what we hope/think Ga Tech baseball should be) AND saw something in the transfers and new pitching coach that I could not have predicted, and set expectations in middle of the ACC and post-season action (not there yet... bet in sight, for sure). Not to mention... playing a soft schedule early and losing most of the games (NC State exception) against any team ranking in the top half of D1. That all changed after the BC series and it has been great... exceeding my expectations. :)

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
My expectations preseason was that this team would make a regional.

So far, they are on track to that prediction; however, I projected that Cam Hill would finally turn into the Cape league pitcher along with projected success from Logan Maguire. I also felt Cam Jones would be a nice piece to our pen.

Considering that Jones is a starter and Hill and Maguire have struggled most of the year and have been put in mostly in relief...the team has exceeded expectations because if you had told me preseason that Cam Hill and Logan wouldn't be a big part of our 2024 rotation, my expectation would've been .500 or below acc record and another missed regional so kudos to Matt Taylor and the coaching staff getting us here.

Offensively they are doing what I expected once Giesler came back from injury. Trey Yunger has become an excellent leadoff hitter. Drew is everything and more. Hall and Ramsey worked with Ellis midseason and you can see the difference. Expected a little bit more out of Green and Bobby Z though.

Barring a losing streak to end the season, I think it's a strong possibility Tech makes a regional. I'm convinced it'll be uga. The committee LOVES to match acc/sec so it's either them or USC.

Last edited: