Clemson at Russ Chandler

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Hall needs to hire a new pitching coach in the offseason. 6 runs should be enough to win a game 9 out of 10 times.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
How 'bout just getting rid of a bad one for starters? I mean, you think our pitching could get any WORSE?
Who would coach the pitching staff if Hall got rid of him? There is no point in cutting him loose now because we don't have another coach that can fill that void. This is something that needs to be done in the offseason.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I thought that would be the case but could there be some retired ones that would like a few months of getting back on the diamond and provide some expertise.
That's a good thought, but it would also make the job less attractive if Hall fired Howell during the middle of the season. I'm afraid that we're stuck with him for the rest of the season.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The highlight of the game was the inning thrown by Gooden. We really need for the kid to come thru big time. We would actually be in good shape if not for the injuries to
English, Hughes, and Parr.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hall needs to hire a new pitching coach in the offseason. 6 runs should be enough to win a game 9 out of 10 times.
Someone previously mentioned it possibly in another thread---how do we know it is the pitching coach and not the head coach? We've had different pitching coaches over the past twenty years with pretty comparable stats, but we've had the same head coach. Maybe CDH doesn't give enough freedom to his pitching coaches to implement their own throwing program/development program. Just throwing some thoughts out there.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The highlight of the game was the inning thrown by Gooden. We really need for the kid to come thru big time. We would actually be in good shape if not for the injuries to
English, Hughes, and Parr.
Not only was it good to see Gooden do well, it was good to see Combs-Carpenter-Lee-Gibson also all look pretty sharp in their respective innings of work. Dulaney struggled with control, but was able to get out of trouble.

I think this idea was thrown out there last year when it seemed our Sunday starter would always mightily struggle---maybe we just go with a staff day every Sunday. Have all the relievers ready and as soon as there is any sign of trouble, bring in the next guy. Seriously....it can't be worse.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Someone previously mentioned it possibly in another thread---how do we know it is the pitching coach and not the head coach? We've had different pitching coaches over the past twenty years with pretty comparable stats, but we've had the same head coach. Maybe CDH doesn't give enough freedom to his pitching coaches to implement their own throwing program/development program. Just throwing some thoughts out there.
I get that argument, but in the past we always had some dominant pitchers (Deck, Buck, Pope, Bradley, Woods) and are starters were horses. We have been missing that ever since Howell has been here. Gold is the only starter that we have had who comes close to those guys, but he was not on their level. I seriously think that Hall should look at the pitching coach from Boston College or Pittsburgh. They always have great staffs, just no hitting (which we have an excess of) that holds them back.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Not only was it good to see Gooden do well, it was good to see Combs-Carpenter-Lee-Gibson also all look pretty sharp in their respective innings of work. Dulaney struggled with control, but was able to get out of trouble.

I think this idea was thrown out there last year when it seemed our Sunday starter would always mightily struggle---maybe we just go with a staff day every Sunday. Have all the relievers ready and as soon as there is any sign of trouble, bring in the next guy. Seriously....it can't be worse.
I like the idea of a staff day and maybe move Shadday to Friday and Ben S to Saturday. Then, use Curry out of the pen or make him the weekday starter.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that argument, but in the past we always had some dominant pitchers (Deck, Buck, Pope, Bradley, Woods) and are starters were horses. We have been missing that ever since Howell has been here. Gold is the only starter that we have had who comes close to those guys, but he was not on their level. I seriously think that Hall should look at the pitching coach from Boston College or Pittsburgh. They always have great staffs, just no hitting (which we have an excess of) that holds them back.
Very true. I never like to beat a dead horse, but the injuries the last few years have really limited us from seeing how good our pitching could be. Not making any excuses, because the healthy pitchers we do have are talented enough where they should be performing better than they have. Of course like a poster mentioned, there's a good chance English and Hughes never make it to campus if they wouldn't have had some arm issues before getting here.

We definitely need a dominant guy. I think as far as arm talent/"stuff" alone, we have a few guys that could become that...unfortunately they haven't put it all together yet and that is where a pitching coach has to be able to bridge that gap.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just as an FYI, as dawn breaks this morning, we are dead last in the following ACC pitching stats: HR's allowed, Hit batsmen, and BB's per game. We are within a smidgen of being dead last in team ERA (5.43 vs VPI&SU's 5.44). Just let it sink in how bad our pitching has become, that even BC, Pitt, Notre Dame, Duke and VPI&SU are better than we are on the mound. And we have had the "advantage" of a three game series with the worst offensive team in the league (Miami's team batting average has dropped to 0.205 now).

<shaking my head>

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Just as an FYI, as dawn breaks this morning, we are dead last in the following ACC pitching stats: HR's allowed, Hit batsmen, and BB's per game. We are within a smidgen of being dead last in team ERA (5.43 vs VPI&SU's 5.44). Just let it sink in how bad our pitching has become, that even BC, Pitt, Notre Dame, Duke and VPI&SU are better than we are on the mound. And we have had the "advantage" of a three game series with the worst offensive team in the league (Miami's team batting average has dropped to 0.205 now).

<shaking my head>
Unbelievable, we made Miami look like the 1927 NY Yankees.