Class of 2022 - Baseball Commits

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
2022 officials are tentatively scheduled for the weekend of 10/30. We will be able to catch the Gold/White game and a football game. Hope to meet some of you there!
Super jealous! Glad you guys get officials. 21 class didn’t get squat.

Now I’m torn between coming for the UAB (10/23) scrimmage or the Gold vs White scrimmage (10/30)…I would expect they’d pitch/play more innings on G/W…..

Already coming for Troy scrimmage 10/16.
Too bad there isn’t a work event in ATL or client meeting I could talk along on…

702🔜404

Georgia Tech Fan
1DCB5BDA-5519-4273-AE8A-BB948479FF74.jpeg
2022 official visit weekend was 🔥. Great job by the coaching staff on a great weekend. Notable non commits who attended were Termar Johnson, younger brother of Tervel and Carsten Sabbathia.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
View attachment 115132022 official visit weekend was 🔥. Great job by the coaching staff on a great weekend. Notable non commits who attended were Termar Johnson, younger brother of Tervel and Carsten Sabbathia.

Sabbathia? Where have I heard that name before? (tic)

Couldn't find Sabbathia or Termar Johnson in Perfect Game data......

Here's the 2022 verbal commits from Beesball.com
1635704412023.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
That’s good I guess down to 15 from 17 via that list.
Riley and PJ are both drafting I would bet on it.
Termarr is drafting top 10 so he won’t be committing anywhere, but should just in case. He is an absolute STUD, team USA, etc. he won’t make a campus.

Sabathia is on parade and tour as is Termarr. (T Tweeted pics at Oregon in uniform with Mom)

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
PG says we have 18 commits in the class. Even with the 2 decommits gone from Beesball's list...

View attachment 11517
Seems like a lot of commits when you are up there in numbers with schools like Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and LSU (amongst others) all of whom traditionally over recruit. But, just a cursory look at our roster and we can lose up to 18 players between the draft, graduation, and expired eligibility. The bright side of losing a good amount of players to the draft is that it may mean that we had a really good season when all is said and done.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't sure where to note this, so I'm doing it here since there's a lot of talk about kids getting drafted. The MLB/MLBPA contract expires in December, I believe, and the sides have not been on the same page, at least according to the media, for a few years now. When will the 2022 MLB season start? Will we have a MLB season? Will there be a draft? What will it look like? Fewer rounds? Less signing bonus compensation for fewer years of team control for those highly drafted? How does the college NIL ruling fit into all of this? Can someone make more money as a college baseball player than they could as a minor league ball player?

A lot of changes from last year, and I'm sure I haven't hit them all. From what I've read, it's likely that there could be an owner lockout/player strike at some point while they hammer out the details. Until those details are set in stone, not sure how we can really accurately predict anything.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn't sure where to note this, so I'm doing it here since there's a lot of talk about kids getting drafted. The MLB/MLBPA contract expires in December, I believe, and the sides have not been on the same page, at least according to the media, for a few years now. When will the 2022 MLB season start? Will we have a MLB season? Will there be a draft? What will it look like? Fewer rounds? Less signing bonus compensation for fewer years of team control for those highly drafted? How does the college NIL ruling fit into all of this? Can someone make more money as a college baseball player than they could as a minor league ball player?

A lot of changes from last year, and I'm sure I haven't hit them all. From what I've read, it's likely that there could be an owner lockout/player strike at some point while they hammer out the details. Until those details are set in stone, not sure how we can really accurately predict anything.
You are 100 percent spot on. Relative to the high school seniors and draft eligible college players this can be yet another disaster circa 2020 where 35 rounds and ten million dollars where removed from the draft. Additionally draft bonus deferrals were also negotiated all to the benefit of the owners. This CBA will be predictably contentious. The players and the owners are at odds over revenue sharing, which will increase due to the advent of digital media And increased TV revenue. Unfortunately one of the first sacrificial lambs of any attempt to negotiate between the owners and players will be the draft, as the MLBPA could care less about the players it doesn’t even represent and are not part of their bargaining unit. I wouldn’t be surprised if the draft gets cancelled. Lastly, baseball at the pro level isn’t great for NIL/endorsement revenue. At the college level, maybe the top players and/or teams will receive NIL/endorsement money. Simply put, there isn’t much NIL opportunity for baseball players. We will see what happens but this may yet again be a net-net gain for college baseball. Anticipate problems yet again with roster size and scholarship allotment.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are 100 percent spot on. Relative to the high school seniors and draft eligible college players this can be yet another disaster circa 2020 where 35 rounds and ten million dollars where removed from the draft. Additionally draft bonus deferrals were also negotiated all to the benefit of the owners. This CBA will be predictably contentious. The players and the owners are at odds over revenue sharing, which will increase due to the advent of digital media And increased TV revenue. Unfortunately one of the first sacrificial lambs of any attempt to negotiate between the owners and players will be the draft, as the MLBPA could care less about the players it doesn’t even represent and are not part of their bargaining unit. I wouldn’t be surprised if the draft gets cancelled. Lastly, baseball at the pro level isn’t great for NIL/endorsement revenue. At the college level, maybe the top players and/or teams will receive NIL/endorsement money. Simply put, there isn’t much NIL opportunity for baseball players. We will see what happens but this may yet again be a net-net gain for college baseball. Anticipate problems yet again with roster size and scholarship allotment.
Anecdotally... the only NIL deal involving a GT SA I'm aware of related to baseball is a football player's (Yates?) deal with the Braves.

To your point about opportunities limited for baseball players. Not any knock on Yates.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Piling on, I think the high talent college players have accumulated due to the restricted draft and extra year so that HS players will be taken in slightly smaller numbers. And while we have lots of talented guys coming in, there are many highly talented HS players in other programs. The average measurable talent of HS players is going up due to better nutrition and training.

I'm more worried about our eligible roster players getting drafted than the HS recruits (unless they are Ford / Parada quality).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT Signings on Nov. 10, 2021:
Logan BogueRHP6-3 195 R/RMt. Airy, Ga.Habersham Central
Parker BrosiusOF6-2 217 R/LSuwanee, Ga.Lambert
Jayce BlalockOF5-10 186 R/RGrantville, Ga.Trinity Christian
Noah SamolLHP6-7 225 L/LMason, OhioWilliam Mason
Nicolas SeneseINF6-3 170 R/RSenoia, Ga.East Coweta

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
More GT Beesball signees on 11-11-2021:
Cam Freeman RHP 6-2 215 R/R North Myrtle Beach, S.C. North Myrtle Beach

Brant Baughcum is a 2022 SS/2B/3B with a 6-1 190 lb. frame from Buford, GA who attends Buford.

Jackson Gaspard is a 2022 C/RHP, 3B, MIF with a 6-0 175 lb. frame from Flowery Branch, GA who attends Buford.