CJ Leggett Question...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just saw something interesting... We have a guy named Justin Bryan listed as a b-back who (according to ramblinwreck.com) is 6-5, 235 lbs. Woa!
Will's brother. Played Baseball at UGA.

edited -(should have read further and noticed that both of these were mentioned) :oops:

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
I have high hopes for CJ. I'm confused as all I remember last year was talk of Custis so I never heard early talk of CJ. Key is what has been said - never lose Yards, never fumble and Now apparently be able to run the belly In the second half of a game;)

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While both Laskey and Days were awesome this year, their play might have been a consequence of feeling some heat from CJ in summer camp. What is a bit of concern is the lack of players with any experience at B-Back. However, IIRC that was also being said last season about this time with the departure of David Sims and a redshirt freshman kid who unfotunately never set foot on the field. Throw in a QB transfer and there you have it.

CJ once he was healthy ran wild in the State Playoffs against 4 and 5 star competition. No doubt he was running behind an O-Line that cannot compare to what GT has sitting in front of him when he lines up as the B-back next year. Justin and CJ are already wearing out the mesh as these are the types of kids GT has in the program who will keep this offense running at a high level.

It's always easier to plug in a frosh at B-Back with seasoned 300 lb.+ linemen in front of him. Experience in the trenches can make anyone look good running through open lanes at the line of scrimmage.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I think CJ's injury may have been a blessing in disguise for everyone. Laskey and Days experienced special senior seasons, and CJ got the mental and physical benefits of a redshirt season.

My prediction is that we go from having the most experienced backfield in CPJ era to the most talented backfield in CPJ era.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think CJ's injury may have been a blessing in disguise for everyone. Laskey and Days experienced special senior seasons, and CJ got the mental and physical benefits of a redshirt season.

My prediction is that we go from having the most experienced backfield in CPJ era to the most talented backfield in CPJ era.
Followed in 2016 by BOTH!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The interesting bit in all this to me is in the building of a program. Folks talked about recruiting issues early in CPJ's tenure, but these guys who are the foundation of hte team (rs sr's) were the guys that CPJ was recruiting in his 2nd year at GT. A recruiting cycle is a LONG time, and can take a while to pay off.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know Leggett's size right now? The website says 5-10, 207 pounds. Sounds good, but I'd like to know if he put on any weight during the season.

All those SR notations mean the coaches need to nourish a substantial group of backups and get them some game experience in 2015.
True, but having a "mature" offensive line is the Holy Grail, is it not? And for our system it is even more important. We are on the brink of being able to groom the next generation of offensive linemen on our timetable and simply re-load when the time comes.

donaldlyle

Georgia Tech Fan
My opinion, CJ will be a very similar BB to Synjyn Days. He's not as tall as Synjyn, but has a powerful base and big trunks for legs. You will not bring him down with arm tackles, and he's got a great stiff arm. He won't break long runs like Dwyer, but he'll get 3-5 yard pops regularly like Synjyn with 10-20 yard pops a few times per game. It's going to be rare for him to lose yardage.

My only concern with Leggett is his mesh relationship with JT. I honestly can't remember a bad mesh fumble from our QB/BBs this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Exactly. Too many variables to determine how good a player is. What system do they play in? How well have they been coached? How tough are their opponents?
Agree. Not so sure Joe Montana would have any Super Bowl rings if he'd been drafted by the Raiders instead of the 49ers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Really look foward to seeing Tre' "on the field" next season.
Me too!
Early At Orange bowl the team was waving arms up and down to fire up the crowd. Tre was so fired up he keep it up long after everyone stopped. He even kept it up watching the game. He got a heck of work out at the game .

Hope they build up tree trunk legs this summer. Sprint races while dragging tires works wonder.

Maybe tre will work his way on to field as special team beast. With his guns He has my permission to arm tackle !