CJ Leggett Question...

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd assume that with the departure of both Laskey and Days as well as the unfortunate loss of Custis that Leggett is the heir apparent at B-back next season. I did a search and have seen some different opinions of him around the board. Most seemed unimpressed initially but when Laskey got hurt it seemed like most were excited to see him get an opportunity. I'm just curious as to what changed. Has he been great at practice or are some just being overly optimistic because he's really all we have at the moment. I'm not trying to put the kid down or anything, I've never seen him play except in a little bit of film and I don't pretend to be an expert in evaluating players. Just curious if he's a guy that could be a legit 4 year starter at B-back or is he a placeholder until we get someone better? Thanks in advance for any info.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
From what I know, admittedly, all secondhand, is CJ made large strides once he got in and healed from his hamstring pull. Having watched him at N. Gwinnett I'm fairly confident he's nobody's place holder. He's physical, rums behind his pads well and is not a plodder. He's a talented back, he played most of his senior year with turf toe and STILL ran over folks. He's the leader at his position and anyone coming will have to take it away from him. Quaide's going to get invaluable reps and experience coming in early and MLD is another very skills back but right now? CJ's the man ;)

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a 4* RB out of high school. He came very close to playing as a true freshman. He arrived at fall camp and started tearing it up, but was sidelined by a hamstring injury. He has done well this year in practice from what I've read on the boards. Eric said in another thread that coaches think of him as the ideal B Back and that he is doing very well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My opinion, CJ will be a very similar BB to Synjyn Days. He's not as tall as Synjyn, but has a powerful base and big trunks for legs. You will not bring him down with arm tackles, and he's got a great stiff arm. He won't break long runs like Dwyer, but he'll get 3-5 yard pops regularly like Synjyn with 10-20 yard pops a few times per game. It's going to be rare for him to lose yardage.

My only concern with Leggett is his mesh relationship with JT. I honestly can't remember a bad mesh fumble from our QB/BBs this year.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
My opinion, CJ will be a very similar BB to Synjyn Days. He's not as tall as Synjyn, but has a powerful base and big trunks for legs. You will not bring him down with arm tackles, and he's got a great stiff arm. He won't break long runs like Dwyer, but he'll get 3-5 yard pops regularly like Synjyn with 10-20 yard pops a few times per game. It's going to be rare for him to lose yardage.

My only concern with Leggett is his mesh relationship with JT. I honestly can't remember a bad mesh fumble from our QB/BBs this year.
Reps are key to preventing mesh problems. I suspect that CJ redshirting this year will pay off in bulk over the next couple of years. We may have some issues with it early on in the season, but hopefully they get better as the competition heats up.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone called in to the radio show this year and asked Coach J if he was worried about what would happen with B back next year. He said something like "Leggett is looking very, very good at that position." Paul Johnson never says things that directly complimentary. It lit me up.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
He came in and impressed right away...was surprised by that. Very quick burst and can move in the pile....Really flashed early in camp. If not for the injury he was likely going to play this year...I think he will be fine next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just saw something interesting... We have a guy named Justin Bryan listed as a b-back who (according to ramblinwreck.com) is 6-5, 235 lbs. Woa!

That's Will Bryan's (a 2015 commit that enrolled early) older brother. I believe his father said he was practicing at LB?