Cincinnati game

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I just saw that Cincinnati's fourth-year center Aziz Bandaogo just got cleared by the NCAA so he should debut for them tomorrow. Averaged 11.5 pts, 2.9 blocks and 10.4 rebounds at Utah Valley last season

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at Cincinnati, it does seem like we are up for a challenge, particularly playing our first away game.

They have one top 100 player, Daniel Skillings, a 6-6 Soph guard that leads them in scoring. They also have at least one capable big man, the 6-11 Russian Viktor Lakhin, who is averaging almost 14 and 10. They also go deep, with 9 players averaging over 13 minutes per game so far. They pass the ball well (17.5 assists/game) and rarely turn it over (12.8 TO/game), but (like us) they have struggled from the FT line, only shooting 63.9%. They won 23 games last year with a Sr-laden team, so it seems like they have a pretty new team. They haven't played anybody of note yet, so its hard to tell what they have this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I expect Cincinnati to try to exploit what appears to be our weakness - the 5 spot. Defensively, they will likely try to deny our guards all over the floor and make Claude and Ndongo handle the ball and take shots. This is a great opportunity for Ndongo to show up. I hope he is able to make it a bad night for Cincy.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I expect Cincinnati to try to exploit what appears to be our weakness - the 5 spot. Defensively, they will likely try to deny our guards all over the floor and make Claude and Ndongo handle the ball and take shots. This is a great opportunity for Ndongo to show up. I hope he is able to make it a bad night for Cincy.
How much can we expect from a layer just cleared physically to play? His practice time was obviously limited due to his injury. I would expect maybe 15 minutes from him at most tomorrow.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How much can we expect from a layer just cleared physically to play? His practice time was obviously limited due to his injury. I would expect maybe 15 minutes from him at most tomorrow.
Two points.

First, I agree that Ndongo will probably only get limited minutes. How much will depend on how well he is doing. Let's not forget, he's a true fresman.

Second, I "played" for part of my senior season with my non-shooting wrist in a cast. Granted, it was limiting, but Ndongo has likely been practicing with the team. It's not like he will be out there after weeks of missing practice.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If we lose this game, I demand we go back to the [DATE] - MBB vs. [OPPONENT] thread title format that we were 2-0 with.

I'm wheels up to Cincinnati this evening after work. PTO tomorrow to explore the city (never been). Should be a fun little vacation, hopefully return home Thanksgiving morning with the W.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we lose this game, I demand we go back to the [DATE] - MBB vs. [OPPONENT] thread title format that we were 2-0 with.

I'm wheels up to Cincinnati this evening after work. PTO tomorrow to explore the city (never been). Should be a fun little vacation, hopefully return home Thanksgiving morning with the W.
Good for you. Give us a report when you get home.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen Cincy but if they have the inside game described with a couple of real bigs then we likely will see Dowuona for some stretches. Offense will be a challenge but he gives length, energy and fouls on D.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Cincinnati is an underrated city. Haven't been in over 3 years, but I really enjoyed the city. There's probably much more to do now than the last time I was there.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Supposed to be an amazing city if you are a Foodie. And, there is a tennis tournament there every summer I hope to attend this year...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are a lot of good german restaurants and plenty of locala beer. The biggest and best Octoberfest in the country is in Covington, just across the river, so there are lots of German emigrants in the area. And, a wierd concoction, Cincinnati Chili, is available eveywhere. Try it.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Looking at Cincinnati, it does seem like we are up for a challenge, particularly playing our first away game.

They have one top 100 player, Daniel Skillings, a 6-6 Soph guard that leads them in scoring. They also have at least one capable big man, the 6-11 Russian Viktor Lakhin, who is averaging almost 14 and 10. They also go deep, with 9 players averaging over 13 minutes per game so far. They pass the ball well (17.5 assists/game) and rarely turn it over (12.8 TO/game), but (like us) they have struggled from the FT line, only shooting 63.9%. They won 23 games last year with a Sr-laden team, so it seems like they have a pretty new team. They haven't played anybody of note yet, so its hard to tell what they have this year.
Definitely up for a challenge against this new Big 12 conference opponent coming out of the AAC/Big East. If we play better than our past games and they play worse than theirs, we have a chance. If you believe in analytics and artificial intelligence in predicting outcomes, I look at the NET ratings, which begin in early December, and the sports reference stats site at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/men/2024-schedule.html . They rate the Men's D1 basketball teams 1 through 353. Typically the top 100 teams wind up in post season tournaments, with the exception being certain conference tournament upsets. This is us compared to UofC. The key ranking stat is SRS (simple rating system) which takes into account strength of schedule and point spread. That is probably why solid teams schedule harder teams and run up the score as much as they can, resulting in more late season fatigue and injury. A deep bench is a must-have. GT's SRS is -0.59 (169 0f 363) and U of C is +11.16 (68 of 363). Projected into the NET, they area currently a bubble team and we are not, but it's early.

Being an optimist, college basketball is like what Forrest Gump said, "Life (basketball games) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get." Go Jackets!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Definitely up for a challenge against this new Big 12 conference opponent coming out of the AAC/Big East. If we play better than our past games and they play worse than theirs, we have a chance. If you believe in analytics and artificial intelligence in predicting outcomes, I look at the NET ratings, which begin in early December, and the sports reference stats site at https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/men/2024-schedule.html . They rate the Men's D1 basketball teams 1 through 353. Typically the top 100 teams wind up in post season tournaments, with the exception being certain conference tournament upsets. This is us compared to UofC. The key ranking stat is SRS (simple rating system) which takes into account strength of schedule and point spread. That is probably why solid teams schedule harder teams and run up the score as much as they can, resulting in more late season fatigue and injury. A deep bench is a must-have. GT's SRS is -0.59 (169 0f 363) and U of C is +11.16 (68 of 363). Projected into the NET, they area currently a bubble team and we are not, but it's early.

Being an optimist, college basketball is like what Forrest Gump said, "Life (basketball games) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get." Go Jackets!
The stats from my last post, that disappeared:
1700590235621.png
1700590261087.png