Cincinnati game

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
"... never got things going offensively...", I think that is staying the obvious.

Like how he says we have to have urgency as a collective while saying that with the most laid back demeanor. The team is taking on his personality.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Like how he says we have to have urgency as a collective while saying that with the most laid back demeanor. The team is taking on his personality.

This is unfair. "Toughness" and "urgency" have nothing to do with how one speaks or carries themselves outwardly.

This is like people thinking coaches give 'win one for the Gipper' speeches at halftime to 'fire 'em up'.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
This is unfair. "Toughness" and "urgency" have nothing to do with how one speaks or carries themselves outwardly.

This is like people thinking coaches give 'win one for the Gipper' speeches at halftime to 'fire 'em up'.
Disagree. The team looks to the coach on how to carry themselves on the court. Yes, there is still individuality between the players but as a collective they tend to take on the coach’s personality. Just look at the football and basketball teams of years past. Even professional teams. CDS has even said it himself this preseason on how he doesn’t want to get too high or too low because they players watch and feed off that.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Strange. Just strange. Tough getting O organized playing so many people. Maybe he is trying to give all the guys a chance before skining down the rotation. But all can play better D. Who knows. Wow. Just wow.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Disagree. The team looks to the coach on how to carry themselves on the court. Yes, there is still individuality between the players but as a collective they tend to take on the coach’s personality. Just look at the football and basketball teams of years past. Even professional teams. CDS has even said it himself this preseason on how he doesn’t want to get too high or too low because they players watch and feed off that.

You're basically saying they don't care. Is that what you believe? If the answer is 'no', then you agree with me.

Tom

Georgia Tech Fan
You're basically saying they don't care. Is that what you believe? If the answer is 'no', then you agree with me.
I never said they don’t care. Even in my first post that you responded to. I pointed out how the coach wants urgency as a collective yet seems to be not coaching with urgency himself. And pointed out that it seems the team is taking on the personality of the coach. Are you saying the coach doesn’t care? Cause I don’t know how we took that leap about the players otherwise.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I remember hearing him in an interview earlier this year say that he will “have this thing turned around in 90 days.”

It takes time for a new staff with several new pieces to gel and trust each other and learn to play together.

For him to say this so brashly showed naivety that a 50 year old shouldn’t have.

Hopefully, he can continue to recruit to the level of the Mustaf kid and it’ll cover up coaching deficiencies.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I recall in some of Hewitt days, he talked about working heavily on skill development, a lot of individual work, and then on game day, it looked like they never practiced as a team, which apparently was the case. Maybe CDS brought some of that NBA practice time to early part of season? And we look really disjointed as a result? If true, makes sense that Kyle is only one who can “run” an offense since he’s the most natural facilitator.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The eyeball test told me we are more athletic and less cohesive so far this year. I think the deep rotation last night was for evaluation and play fit moving forward. Cincy shot the lights out last night and we fumbled the rock a lot. I take it as one bad game.
More telling will be how the rotation shakes out. I'm not worried about coaching skill. It does take time to come together as a group and we've had an awful lot of turnover since last season. Much like football, we've been in the desert for a bit and are a thirsty fan base. Hopefully we find water soon.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No matter how bad it went, it is just 1 game. Sometimes there are games where nothing goes right. Hopefully blowouts do not become a trend.

Except at this point it really isn't just one bad game. It's not the end of the world, and it's possible things get turned around, but we've looked less than impressive against an 0-6 GSU team and two teams from 1 bid leagues, one of which is 2-4 with two 20 point losses.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Except at this point it really isn't just one bad game. It's not the end of the world, and it's possible things get turned around, but we've looked less than impressive against an 0-6 GSU team and two teams from 1 bid leagues, one of which is 2-4 with two 20 point losses.
I don't disagree, we've only looked cohesive in spurts. I had low expectations for the season going in, but 30+ point blowout losses should not be the norm. I expect to see competitive play in ACC games by mid-January. I don't want to see future seasons starting like this year. 😩

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It’d be nice if CDS watches some film today of our February/March games last year under Pastner. That core sans Franklin is in our toolset and whatever Pastner schemed up for those games generated the open 3s we need to light up the scoreboard.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, no ACC network means no watching the replay of the game for me, so I’ve got nothing but what I saw in the highlights and box score.

This is what I was afraid of after the Umass Lowell game. We are undisciplined on offense and not there yet on defense. There are a ton of question marks on this team right now, and they need to be fixed quickly.

The only silver lining I see is that Baye has arrived and had some moments of impressive play (along with George). The 7 TOs is ugly but the 3 blocks, 8 rebounds and 8 points look good. Oh, and we finally shot free throws well. Other than that, it is all negative.

Win or lose, I’ll keep cheering. Go Jackets!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Well, no ACC network means no watching the replay of the game for me, so I’ve got nothing but what I saw in the highlights and box score.

This is what I was afraid of after the Umass Lowell game. We are undisciplined on offense and not there yet on defense. There are a ton of question marks on this team right now, and they need to be fixed quickly.

The only silver lining I see is that Baye has arrived and had some moments of impressive play (along with George). The 7 TOs is ugly but the 3 blocks, 8 rebounds and 8 points look good. Oh, and we finally shot free throws well. Other than that, it is all negative.

Win or lose, I’ll keep cheering. Go Jackets!
And playing to a depth of 12 players was promising in figuring out different floor fives for different situations., the 12th being last year's student walk-on sophomore forward redshirt #35 Emmer Nichols. William Emmer Nichols is the namesake great grandson of the Georgia Tech great tennis player Bill Moore of the mid 1930's, for whom the tennis center was named before the current center name. He donated money for an upgrade during the tenure of AD Homer Rice. Emmer is a solid basketball player, being in the top 50 high school players in the state of California two years ago. He turned down basketball scholarships to follow the footsteps of his great grandfather and his brother to Georgia Tech. That was Emmer's first game as a Yellow Jacket, though not under the best of circumstances. He is also an honor role student as well in Economics and International Affairs. The other two non-scholarship players are 5th year player 2LT Carter Murphy, commissioned from the Air Force academy, with his Operations Research masters being funded by the Air Force. Freshman student walk-on Marcos San Miguel is a Computer Science major. There are many good reasons to support this and all team through thick and thin. Many will be future donors as many of us are since back in the day when we saw or played our first Yellow Jacket game.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The Coach believes that wins are a product of a culture of personal discipline and competitive toughness. He holding the players accountable by allowing them to be humbled. He is going to allow them to take ownership of the results of their own levels of discipline and competitive toughness.

What he is trying to do is the same kind of thing that Mike Krzyzewski did in the first half of his tenure at Duke, what Krzyzewski's mentor Bobby Knight did, what Bobby Huggins did. Those of you thinking in terms of scheme are not understanding this coach at all. It is about culture, disciplined habits and mindset, and competitive toughness.

Whether he can pull it off with today's youth is another matter.

Look at what he has done with Miles Kelly. Kelly put his name in the draft last year. What did Stoudamire do? He has treated Miles Kelly like an Pro prospect. He has told the media what Miles Kelly needs to do, he has thrust Miles Kelly into the star's roll to carry the team. Miles Kelly can see the results of those opportunities thus far this season the same s the NBA scouts, the same as we fans.

Same for Abram, Gapare, Ndongo. He gives them an opportunity to show the world what kind of players they are. The question is will it motivate them or will it break them?

I think that Stoudamire is going to have to recruit these tough minded competitors as I don't think he can mold guys into having that orientation. If he can do it at all, it is going to take time. As long as JBatt and Cabrera are his superiors, he will get that time. I don't think the program has enough fans for their squawking to make any difference, especially in the first two years.