Chris Milton Breaks DB Power Clean Record

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Impressive no doubt, but I'm suspect of his form. Is that good form to have your legs so wide and then to baby step them in? Seems like massive stress on the knees. I'd hate to see one of our guys be lost for the season going for a gym rat record.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No it wasn't clean, but at that weight it probably wasn't going to be.
Get it fellas let's make it translate on the field.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Impressive no doubt, but I'm suspect of his form. Is that good form to have your legs so wide and then to baby step them in? Seems like massive stress on the knees. I'd hate to see one of our guys be lost for the season going for a gym rat record.
The championship Olympic weight lifters make it look like a front squat when they lift. Keeping one's balance at the heavier weights always seemed like the most difficult part of the exercise.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"Heavy athletics", as they call it in Eastern Europe, is a truly awesome thing to watch. These people are as strange as pro basketball centers: unbelievably strong, quicker then cats, strong in their joints, and dedicated. I used to lift Olympic style myself and it was not, believe me, easy to be even as mediocre as I was. I used to lift close to a ton (overall, of course) a session on power cleans alone. It's a great feeling to better your personal record; beating a team record is even more special.

Some advice to Chris: your back is too rounded at the start of the lift and you aren't getting your legs into it as soon as you could as a consequence; hence the need to split your legs so wide apart. Also, you aren't driving your elbows forward at the end to rack the weight on your shoulders; that's why you had the balance problem. I bet you could do 5 - 10 lbs better with slightly better form.

Last edited:

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
Form was horrendous, but holding on to that weight without having your elbows up and the bar racked is crazy strong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And here's the best of them all, Naim Suleymanoglu.

This guy was designed by God to be a weightlifter and it shows. I saw him in Atlanta at the 1996 Olympics. He equaled his competition best snatch in exhibition after the supers. Absolutely awe inspiring.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
And here's the best of them all, Naim Suleymanoglu.

This guy was designed by God to be a weightlifter and it shows. I saw him in Atlanta at the 1996 Olympics. He equaled his competition best snatch in exhibition after the supers. Absolutely awe inspiring.

What was that guy huffing on before going on stage?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
"Heavy athletics", as they call it in Eastern Europe, is a truly awesome thing to watch. These people are as strange as pro basketball centers: unbelievably strong, quicker then cats, strong in their joints, and dedicated. I used to lift Olympic style myself and it was not, believe me, easy to be even as mediocre as I was. I used to lift close to a ton (overall, of course) a session on power cleans alone. It's a great feeling to better your personal record; beating a team record is even more special.

Some advice to Chris: your back is too rounded at the start of the lift and you aren't getting your legs into it as soon as you could as a consequence; hence the need to split your legs so wide apart. Also, you aren't driving your elbows forward at the end to rack the weight on your shoulders; that's why you had the balance problem. I bet you could do 5 - 10 lbs better with slightly better form.

Exactly. He muscled up 365, which makes it even more impressive. I considered myself a strong guy (400lb bench 600lb squat) and I wouldnt even consider doing much on power clean. (y)(y)(y) Chris

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What was that guy huffing on before going on stage?
The lifters often sniff a little ammonia or some other head clearing stuff (it's usually ammonia; the officials watch this stuff like you wouldn't believe) before they go on stage. That's probably more psychological then anything else; pops you out of apprehension before you go out in front of all those people. Btw, the first buzzer means you have two minutes to complete the lift, the second that you held it long enough to count.

That's something I didn't mention: the amount of self-control and sheer guile these athletes have really sets them off from others. They are always fighting psych wars with each other and it's extremely suspenseful to watch these contests.

Last edited:

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Some advice to Chris: your back is too rounded at the start of the lift
Curious as to who held the record that Chris broke (and what the previous record weight was).

I second all the comments about his form - the scary thing is that with better form, he could lift even more. I also applaud any role coach Sisk had in this but coach Sisk may want to spend some time on proper technique. None of this effort will pay off if he injures himself.

Lastly, form notwithstanding, that was awe-inspiringly impressive.

One more thing - I saw a few comments of the type: this is cool but let's hope it carries over to gameday. I'm pretty sure that Chris has already demonstrated that he's a pretty good football player. I remember his first appearance on special teams where he was running people down - fast people. To think that he's already that fast and now he's this strong? Holy freakin' yikes!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
The championship Olympic weight lifters make it look like a front squat when they lift. Keeping one's balance at the heavier weights always seemed like the most difficult part of the exercise.

love how this dude breaks a record and walks away casually like a boss.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

That was a similar thought I had: Is this something you want your football players doing...or for any collegiate sport? Risk/reward kinda' thing.