Choice and Burton meet the media

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Listening to our new coaches talk, seeing the way the local media has responded, and seeing how recruits have responded you get the feeling that GT is on the cusp of something special.

Either that or the caffeine in my coffee is extra strong this morning...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Listening to our new coaches talk, seeing the way the local media has responded, and seeing how recruits have responded you get the feeling that GT is on the cusp of something special.

Either that or the caffeine in my coffee is extra strong this morning...

The hype is gold. Choice hire was smart. He directly connects with the youth and culture of the city, not to mention NFL pedigree. He also can speak on his experience at Oklahoma. All of this is good for branding and recruiting.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Calm down man. Too much optimism and the party poopers come out like a horde of zombies.
Good advice, at my age, I could just check out for good.
I realize at this point, it's just talk. It better lead to improvement in 2-3 years, or I . along with many others, will look pretty foolish.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The hype is gold. Choice hire was smart. He directly connects with the youth and culture of the city, not to mention NFL pedigree. He also can speak on his experience at Oklahoma. All of this is good for branding and recruiting.

The thing I got with Choice is he is genuinely appreciative of what GT means to him, and the opportunities he's gotten from it. He's honest that GT isn't easy, but he's also sincere that the work you put into GT will mean more when you graduate. He's going to absolutely kill it in with parents in living rooms across the Southeast.

CGC for some reason is getting labled "car salesman", but the guy is passionate about his job. You're not out taking advantage of every interview opportunity, every public appearance opportunity, every recruiting opportunity...and he's busting his butt to reposition the narrative on GT. You don't do that if you're not passionate about GT or the job he's undertaking.

He's done more to change the perception of GT in his short time than the previous staff did in 10 years. I'm not saying that to denigrate CPJ's tenure, I'm saying that because no one blamed CPJ for not being passionate about GT and he didn't put himself and GT out there like CGC is doing. My point is, why are so many negative about the way CGC is trying to change the narrative about GT?

Also, one thing I'm also getting after hearing the coaches talk is everyone is relaying the same message: GT means high standards, high work ethic, relentlessness on and off the field, higher caliber SA, not being afraid of "elite", our SAs will get every opportunity they could dream of off the field (professionally and personally) and on the field (NFL), etc. THAT is branding, and it's starts from the top and everyone is on the same page. That is how you change the narrative about GT.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The thing I got with Choice is he is genuinely appreciative of what GT means to him, and the opportunities he's gotten from it. He's honest that GT isn't easy, but he's also sincere that the work you put into GT will mean more when you graduate. He's going to absolutely kill it in with parents in living rooms across the Southeast.

CGC for some reason is getting labled "car salesman", but the guy is passionate about his job. You're not out taking advantage of every interview opportunity, every public appearance opportunity, every recruiting opportunity...and he's busting his butt to reposition the narrative on GT. You don't do that if you're not passionate about GT or the job he's undertaking.

He's done more to change the perception of GT in his short time than the previous staff did in 10 years. I'm not saying that to denigrate CPJ's tenure, I'm saying that because no one blamed CPJ for not being passionate about GT and he didn't put himself and GT out there like CGC is doing. My point is, why are so many negative about the way CGC is trying to change the narrative about GT?

Also, one thing I'm also getting after hearing the coaches talk is everyone is relaying the same message: GT means high standards, high work ethic, relentlessness on and off the field, higher caliber SA, not being afraid of "elite", our SAs will get every opportunity they could dream of off the field (professionally and personally) and on the field (NFL), etc. THAT is branding, and it's starts from the top and everyone is on the same page. That is how you change the narrative about GT.

Hearing Collins was like reading my message board post for the past 6 years.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Techster I know some people are more literal than others but the dissention on the board stems from comments like:
A. We’re now going to start trying to be successful as if there were efforts not to be in the past.
B. I’m not going to start supporting the program again as if some stopped rooting for the team.
C. We’re going to start getting 5* athletes here again. The “again” is historically incorrect. The rest of the sentence is a great goal.
D. We don’t need to improve staff, facilities, etc because it is already top notch and all we need is a new coach. Just isn’t the case.
E. We’re the same academically as other places. Some point out 1 example as evidence that we’re doing everything shady on the same scale as every other program. Again, just isn’t the case.
F. Our players suck & we should process them out and replace them with others. This just isn’t who GT is nor is it accurate in most of the atlhetes cases.

This is the last post I’m going to make on this. We have a new coach. The old coach’s record at GT will not change from what it is. We need to support our current program. We already have other schools working against us, we don’t need to work against ourselves. We want to change the narrative, but we’ve suffered through a decade of a large part of our own fanbase supporting/promoting a negative narrative. I hope everyone gets that, because some believe you can flip a fan switch as soon as they get what they think they want. Those that withdrew support will withdraw support in the future. Just wait until we hit a multi-year rough patch. They’ll show their true colors and they’re not white & gold.

It’s sad the new coach has to overcome a fanbase at odds with itself. Unbelievably it’s those that apparently got what they want that are the most divisive. We appear to be hiring a staff with great potential. Everyone that is now back on the bus needs to put their money where their mouth is.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster I know some people are more literal than others but the dissention on the board stems from comments like:
A. We’re now going to start trying to be successful as if there were efforts not to be in the past.
B. I’m not going to start supporting the program again as if some stopped rooting for the team.
C. We’re going to start getting 5* athletes here again. The “again” is historically incorrect. The rest of the sentence is a great goal.
D. We don’t need to improve staff, facilities, etc because it is already top notch and all we need is a new coach. Just isn’t the case.
E. We’re the same academically as other places. Some point out 1 example as evidence that we’re doing everything shady on the same scale as every other program. Again, just isn’t the case.
F. Our players suck & we should process them out and replace them with others. This just isn’t who GT is nor is it accurate in most of the atlhetes cases.

This is the last post I’m going to make on this. We have a new coach. The old coach’s record at GT will not change from what it is. We need to support our current program. We already have other schools working against us, we don’t need to work against ourselves. We want to change the narrative, but we’ve suffered through a decade of a large part of our own fanbase supporting/promoting a negative narrative. I hope everyone gets that, because some believe you can flip a fan switch as soon as they get what they think they want. Those that withdrew support will withdraw support in the future. Just wait until we hit a multi-year rough patch. They’ll show their true colors and they’re not white & gold.

It’s sad the new coach has to overcome a fanbase at odds with itself. Unbelievably it’s those that apparently got what they want that are the most divisive. We appear to be hiring a staff with great potential. Everyone that is now back on the bus needs to put their money where their mouth is.

A LOT of what you said is true.

There are few VERY vocal posters on BOTH sides that are making it difficult to enjoy what the new coach is trying to build.

On one side there are people who can't let go of CPJ and are afraid that past narratives that built up over the years are being threatened. For some reason those few guys keep taking cheap shots at the new coach before he even coaches a game.

On the other side, there are fans that can't appreciate CPJ and talk about him as if he ran our program into the ground. Sure CPJ wasn't perfect, but as you alluded to, his record is nothing to be ashamed of.

IMO, EVERYONE just needs to move forward and embrace the direction CGC is trying to move the program. It's not an insult to CPJ, it's just natural progression in a time of change. There should be no "CPJ side" or "CGC side". It should just be GT. That's it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am so pumped about the attitude and approach of this new staff. The thing about the HC , or at least should be, is that they set the tone. They are the " face " of the program.
CGC's energy and attitude is contagious and speaks to today's players and fans. . Our previous coach, at many times in public. just seemed annoyed by the whole process.
In today's game , that just won't work anymore.
Couldnt agree more. PJ has always suffered from (smartest guy in the room syndrome) . Most of us fully understood who we were getting. Parts of that attitude played well when we were winning at a high rate but not so much when losing. I would compare to Steve S. at Florida. They would have run him out of town if he had not been ultra successful. CGC is a great hire for many reasons with his warm personality and screen presence certainly being high on the list.

Animal02

Banned
Couldnt agree more. PJ has always suffered from (smartest guy in the room syndrome) . Most of us fully understood who we were getting. Parts of that attitude played well when we were winning at a high rate but not so much when losing. I would compare to Steve S. at Florida. They would have run him out of town if he had not been ultra successful. CGC is a great hire for many reasons with his warm personality and screen presence certainly being high on the list.
He will be a great hire if he delivers wins. Otherwise it will be all hat and no horse......

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont generally respond to my own words but need to remind all that I am a huge PJ fan. The above is just a honest observation about someone I loved. One thing I believe, he actually was the smartest guy in the room!:)

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I listened to the audio of this interview yesterday but this is the first time I saw the video. Absolutely loved the energy when I listened yesterday, but TC’s facial expressions are gold. TC absolutely looks like he’s up to something in the best possible way - love love love the energy and passion!

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow

There is a guy over at Clemson who was a car salesman whose done a great job. I’m excited with this hire and the staff Collins has assembled.