Chik-fil-a in 2017?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Unless you are privy to the details, it's hard to throw blame around. There are plenty of scenarios where this is a potential bad deal for GT, assuming it's even GT holding up the deal.

Fact.....26 August 2014 AJC reported
"Athletic director Mike Bobinski said Tuesday that that he has had positive discussions with Chick-fil-A Bowl president Gary Stokan about Tech’s participation in the game and is awaiting finalization of terms and the execution of a contract."

Link
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-tennessee-in-chick-fil-a-kickoff-nearing-comp/ng9Nj/

Fact.....13 July 2015 the times free press reports
"We've talked to Tennessee. We've talked to Georgia Tech. We've worked with (Tennessee athletic director) Dave Hart in the past. Hopefully we can get something together, whether it's Georgia Tech-Tennessee, or Tennessee against somebody else down the road. We'd love to have them in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game."

Link
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nnessee-georgia-tech-game-still-works/314427/

Fact
Georgia Tech has had scheduling problems in the past (2008 & 2013 two FCS games ) and it appears that their scheduling problems have bled over to the 2017 season to include not being able to close the deal on a Georgia Tech-Tennessee Chick Fil A Monday night game!

Hopefully this does not become fact.....
Because of the Georgia Tech scheduling issues in 2017 GT may have to schedule two FCS games or two G5 games.... not a far stretch to make if you can't get a P5 matchup in Atlanta on a Monday night....

Hopefully becomes fact....
Who knows maybe GT can sign a home and home with Kentucky or even Tennessee.

Anything less then a P5 game and it would only prove my point....GT problem is scheduling since 2006! Always has been!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Athletic director Mike Bobinski said Tuesday that that he has had positive discussions with Chick-fil-A Bowl president Gary Stokan about Tech’s participation in the game and is awaiting finalization of terms and the execution of a contract."

Link
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-tennessee-in-chick-fil-a-kickoff-nearing-comp/ng9Nj/

"We've talked to Tennessee. We've talked to Georgia Tech. We've worked with (Tennessee athletic director) Dave Hart in the past. Hopefully we can get something together, whether it's Georgia Tech-Tennessee, or Tennessee against somebody else down the road. We'd love to have them in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game."

Link
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nnessee-georgia-tech-game-still-works/314427/

Fact
Georgia Tech has had scheduling problems in the past (2008 & 2013 two FCS games ) and it appears that their scheduling problems have bled over to the 2017 season to include not being able to close the deal on a Georgia Tech-Tennessee Chick Fil A Monday night game!

Because of the Georgia Tech scheduling issues in 2017 GT may have to schedule two FCS games or two G5 games.... not a far stretch to make if you can't get a P5 matchup in Atlanta on a Monday night....

Anything less then a P5 game and it would only prove my point....GT problem is scheduling since 2006! Always has been!
What are the circumstances surrounding the 2008 and 2013 schedules? Was GT at fault? I think that is debatable. Our current admin had no connection to those deals anyway. What are the circumstances/details with this Chic Fil A deal? Nobody knows. You very well could be right. We may have an incompetent negotiator(s). All I'm saying is I don't think there's enough public knowledge to make a conclusive determination one way or the other.

Maybe we have difficulties in scheduling but maybe these things are not uncommon around college football. Maybe these things are a product of supply and demand and we are not in as favorable of a bargaining position as we'd like.

Maybe you're not insinuating what I think you are (incompetent leadership) and if so, forget the above two posts.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Uh Oh! Gary Stokan weighing in. His "or another ACC team" bodes bad news for GT. Believe me, Stokan is public enemy #1 for GT. For years he has jerked Tech around talking about having them as a Chick fil a team in the Kick Off Classic, and it has never ocurred.Also, we never get any help from Swofford on this. Say what you like- Tech will not be in this game.

What info do we have that Stokan is a negative regarding GT? I don't have any insider info that he is or isn't, but it seems to me he has tried to get us in the game on more than one occasion. He tried to match us up with uGa, and uGa backed out. He tried to match us up with UCLA, and UCLA backed out. I'm suspicious a similar situation is brewing with TN. I think TN wants the CFA game, just maybe against a less challenging ACC opponent. NOBODY with a name program wants to play us OOC. There are way too many more options for a safer opponent than GT to satisfy OOC P5 match ups.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They need to make this happen because I'd love to see it, but I bet Tech is looking at what the projected schedule would look like that season. The Tennessee game in the new Falcons stadium would basically be an away game. We'd have 25% to 33% of the crowd and the Vol fans would be loud as well.

Our away schedule would be brutal that year

Home games would be:
vs. FCS
vs. VT
vs. Pitt
vs. UNC
vs. Wake
vs. Georgia

Away/Neutral
@ UVA
@ UCF (say what you want, this is a tough game if O'Leary is still there)
@ Miami
@ Duke
@ Clemson
vs. Tennessee

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Link

Link

Fact

In response to GT having weak OOC schedules, I just saw this on TOS:

10 best schedules

1. Virginia: at UCLA, Notre Dame, William & Mary, Boise State

2. Stanford: at Northwestern, UCF, Notre Dame

3. Michigan: at Utah, Oregon State, UNLV, BYU

4. Virginia Tech: Ohio State, Furman, at Purdue, at ECU

5. Georgia Tech: Alcorn State, Tulane, at Notre Dame, Georgia

6. Utah: Michigan, Utah State, at Fresno State

7. Northwestern: Stanford, Eastern Illinois, at Duke, Ball State

8. Texas: at Notre Dame, Rice, California

9. Michigan State: at Western Michigan, Oregon, Air Force, Central Michigan

10. Pittsburgh: Youngstown State, at Akron, at Iowa, Notre Dame

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...-big-12-pac-12

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
In response to GT having weak OOC schedules, I just saw this on TOS:

10 best schedules

1. Virginia: at UCLA, Notre Dame, William & Mary, Boise State

2. Stanford: at Northwestern, UCF, Notre Dame

3. Michigan: at Utah, Oregon State, UNLV, BYU

4. Virginia Tech: Ohio State, Furman, at Purdue, at ECU

5. Georgia Tech: Alcorn State, Tulane, at Notre Dame, Georgia

6. Utah: Michigan, Utah State, at Fresno State

7. Northwestern: Stanford, Eastern Illinois, at Duke, Ball State

8. Texas: at Notre Dame, Rice, California

9. Michigan State: at Western Michigan, Oregon, Air Force, Central Michigan

10. Pittsburgh: Youngstown State, at Akron, at Iowa, Notre Dame

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...-big-12-pac-12

I agree that we have one of the best schedules this year, but the forced ACC Notre Dame game has a lot to do with that. If this wasn't our Notre Dame year, who do you think we'd be playing instead? I doubt it'd be someone like Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc...

Don't get me wrong...I want us to play those types of teams, but we've had a tough time getting them on the schedule. Some of them just flat out don't want to play us

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we have one of the best schedules this year, but the forced ACC Notre Dame game has a lot to do with that. If this wasn't our Notre Dame year, who do you think we'd be playing instead? I doubt it'd be someone like Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc...
That's because they wouldn't play us. What top contending team is gonna want to schedule GT?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That's because they wouldn't play us. What top contending team is gonna want to schedule GT?

I agree 100% that they don't want to play us, but we've definitely had problems getting good teams on the schedule. But it seems crazy to me...the pool of schools that we could get on the schedule from the Power 5 is HUGE. I can't believe that we can't find a good name to play. From just a quick look, here are the power 5 teams we have NEVER played in college football...I can't believe that every one of them would turn us down to a home and home request:

Ohio State
UCLA
Arizona State
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State
Kansas State
Louisville (ACC team now, but weren't for a long time)
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Indiana
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Colorado (PLEASE, LET'S GET THEM ON THE SCHEDULE!!!)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% that they don't want to play us, but we've definitely had problems getting good teams on the schedule. But it seems crazy to me...the pool of schools that we could get on the schedule from the Power 5 is HUGE. I can't believe that we can't find a good name to play. From just a quick look, here are the power 5 teams we have NEVER played in college football...I can't believe that every one of them would turn us down to a home and home request:

Ohio State
UCLA
Arizona State
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State
Kansas State
Louisville (ACC team now, but weren't for a long time)
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Indiana
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Colorado (PLEASE, LET'S GET THEM ON THE SCHEDULE!!!)
If we had a playoff that took all and only the conference champions, it wouldn't matter one bit who played who OOC because the outcome would have no impact on a school's playoff chances. That's the next step that needs to happen, it's a no brainer and a win/win for all college football fans.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Watching the game on tv and we are away.....the home crowd is yelling at the top of their lungs on 3rd and 5 and we gain 3 yards and the crowd goes NUTS!!!

GT fans: BAHAHAHAHA YOU FOOLS!!!!!

GTFLETCH

Banned

Don't get me wrong...I want us to play those types of teams, but we've had a tough time getting them on the schedule. Some of them just flat out don't want to play us

I agree with you!!!!!! We lucked into that ND Schedule....IN 2017 if we do not get into the GT/Tenn Chick fil A....I woud try and sign a home and home with Kentucky!

GTFLETCH

Banned
Kentucky? Why do you want the second worst team in the SEC?
Well most teams have their 2017 schedules filled.... I would rather have Kentucky then say two FCS or two G5 games.... I am tired of buying season tickets and then watching us cancel a series with BYU but schedule multiple FCS teams...
If they can't schedule properly then I will have to skip season tickets and maybe go with the multiple game packs.... I hope they can get the 2017 scheduled worked out..

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Good idea, but than why would anyone schedule tough teams where they would have a greater chance of players getting injured?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Our AD is so incompetent (witness basketball coaching decisions thus far) that I have zero confidence in him to close out the deal on a Chick-Fil-A game for GT.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From AJC Blog -
"Tech in kickoff game update

The official announcement of the 2017 Chick-fil-A Kickoff game between Alabama and Florida State last week has caused some question about the status of the reported game at the Falcons new stadium the same year between Tech and Tennessee. It’s my understanding that the game is still in the works, and that details are being finalized in the contract."

Calm down folks it will or won't happen. Unless you have access to the contract negotiations nothing written here is going to make it happen or stop it from happening.