Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

Jmonty71

Banned
If D was bad play calling, then blame it on the coaches, not on the D. I thought the D performed very well for the most part. There were some bad plays that went for long yards, but I think the D did well.
Right... Which is why I posed that. Which is worse. Bad D play or bad play calling? To me, it bad play calling. It's the total loss of smoke and mirrors, from the game. Roof play such a basic scheme, that a high school team could figure it out. If we did some basic things.. Pre snap movement. Fake blitzes. Show a blitz, from one side but come from another.. There is little to no disguise in his blitz packages. This has been and continues to be his biggest issue. We play a 4-3 scheme, with a nickle package. This is great, against west coast teams and teams that run short passes. (which we still can't defend, by the way) We do not have a tough MLB that can straight mess up a play. We do not have a Mike and Sam that can rush, much less cover a TE. The DL played... meh... They got blew off the ball, way too many times. They had their imposed against them. But, then again.... Going up against 300 lbs. O linemen, that happens. We don't have a much of big hosses on the D line. The only way to combat that is to use the quickness and shoot gaps. We did that in the first half. For some reason, we stopped in the 2nd. Or at least UT made an adjustment. In which, CTR (in game) should of made an adjustment to combat that.
Personally, I think CTR should be down on the sidelines. He should be firing up his players. He should be there to discuss missed assignments. Instead, he's in a box.. Only talking to players before and after the game. Then again... I never been a fan of OC or DC's being in a press box.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
True dat. There was no "twirl" that is characteristic of the triple option. But I would be willing to bet that Benson and Marshall will bond and be as instinctive as any quarterback - bback combination we have had in Coach Johnson's tenure.
So every give to Benson was a called play and the only option was whether Marshall was going to pitch or not on counter plays? I confess I was so caught up in the emotion of the game I missed that in real time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right... Which is why I posed that. Which is worse. Bad D play or bad play calling? To me, it bad play calling. It's the total loss of smoke and mirrors, from the game. Roof play such a basic scheme, that a high school team could figure it out. If we did some basic things.. Pre snap movement. Fake blitzes. Show a blitz, from one side but come from another.. There is little to no disguise in his blitz packages. This has been and continues to be his biggest issue. We play a 4-3 scheme, with a nickle package. This is great, against west coast teams and teams that run short passes. (which we still can't defend, by the way) We do not have a tough MLB that can straight mess up a play. We do not have a Mike and Sam that can rush, much less cover a TE. The DL played... meh... They got blew off the ball, way too many times. They had their imposed against them. But, then again.... Going up against 300 lbs. O linemen, that happens. We don't have a much of big hosses on the D line. The only way to combat that is to use the quickness and shoot gaps. We did that in the first half. For some reason, we stopped in the 2nd. Or at least UT made an adjustment. In which, CTR (in game) should of made an adjustment to combat that.
Personally, I think CTR should be down on the sidelines. He should be firing up his players. He should be there to discuss missed assignments. Instead, he's in a box.. Only talking to players before and after the game. Then again... I never been a fan of OC or DC's being in a press box.
I disagree with your characterization that we couldn't stop a pack of cub scouts in the 2nd half. I thought we didn't play as well as in the first half, but were actually fairly stout. There were 3 or 4 plays where breakdowns allowed big yards. Other than that, I thought we did well. No doubt our DL was worn down a little. '13 class of DL would be seniors this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Other teams' fans took notice of GT even though we came out on the short end last night:

(from VT board)

"Tough way to lose for sure. UT had no answers for option...

... until they guessed right on the 2 point conversion.

Hate to say it but GT is likely to be a very tough team this year. Their results are highly correlated with QB play (like most teams but theirs even more so) and he looks like he could be the best they have had under CPJ. Pretty impressive stuff for a 1st start.

Make that REALLY impressive."

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmm. Must have been a surprise to Taquon given all TO counter options we ran. Admittedly, we did run more double option plays and sweeps, but that's first game stuff. My guess = Coach wanted to keep things simple and when he did it worked so well that he kept at it.

Those were counter options. Not triple options. Unless I missed ONE play somewhere, we didn't run a single mesh. It's not a triple option without a mesh. And yes, every give to KB was called.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Screw this. Tired of watching a team of boys play a team of men. It's sad when you know if your team goes to OT, your 0-1. I'm done. I loved Tech for everything it was worth, but y'all have fun. I'm out.

WOW! Really?!?!?!? If the door hits you in the *** it's your fault.

Hope you were just venting, but to bail because of this game... I assume you haven't seen too many years of GT football.

Deleted member 2897

Other teams' fans took notice of GT even though we came out on the short end last night:

(from VT board)

"Tough way to lose for sure. UT had no answers for option...

... until they guessed right on the 2 point conversion.

Hate to say it but GT is likely to be a very tough team this year. Their results are highly correlated with QB play (like most teams but theirs even more so) and he looks like he could be the best they have had under CPJ. Pretty impressive stuff for a 1st start.

Make that REALLY impressive."

Agree. You could argue that Clemson or Miami looked better than us in week 1, but that's about all. And those both played FCS cupcakes, so its hard to draw any firm conclusions from it. Now granted, it doesn't mean we're going to have 655 yards of offense every week. We won't. But right now, we are either one of the best teams in the entire ACC or close to it.

Jmonty71

Banned
WOW! Really?!?!?!? If the door hits you in the *** it's your fault.

Hope you were just venting, but to bail because of this game... I assume you haven't seen too many years of GT football.
Meh... I can understand the anger. I get quite angry about the defense.. Even more the mediocrity that is accepted by the fans, where the D is concerned. But, despite the angst. I still attend games. I still tailgate. I still support the team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree. You could argue that Clemson or Miami looked better than us in week 1, but that's about all. And those both played FCS cupcakes, so its hard to draw any firm conclusions from it. Now granted, it doesn't mean we're going to have 655 yards of offense every week. We won't. But right now, we are either one of the best offenses in the entire ACC or close to it.
fify. Unfortunately, we are forced to play defense and kick occasionally. :banghead:

Jmonty71

Banned
The block was poorly applied. But, yeah... Bad read. The pitch would had made a difference.. Maybe... We'll never know. I thought we should of ran it up the middle, personally. We were blowing them off the LOS all game.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I was telling my wife when she went to bed that this was the best I'd ever seen us look in a season opener.
Tennessee is now equal with Ugag and the NE Patriots as the luckiest bunch of SOG's in football.
The last play call by CPJ was perfect. To go for two was 100% the right call and gave us the best chance to win the game since the defense had become helpless and we had no kicker. The actual play call was a thing of beauty, outnumbered them, had only called it once earlier in the first half and it went for 10 easy yards, if Marshall stays outside instead of cutting it up (or just pitches right there), either he or Benson could've gone in untouched.
Kirvonte Benson is a good running back. He's got some intriguing tools for the position. A little stick of dynamite.
Marshall is a very exciting QB - a warrior's heart, a leader's head, a magician's feet, and he gets the most out of his arm-talent. I like the way he set up and fired with all his might on those short throws - and right on the money. He doesn't have the quick release of JT but with the way he's able to use all of his power to get zip on the ball makes him possibly the best thrower we've had besides JT.
Qua Searcy had a heckuva game. Great blocking, UNBELIEVABLE catch (I've seen us miss that completion more times than I can remember), it was a good throw but an even better catch. I thought that catch had won the game for us.
Cottrell has jets - I enjoyed seeing him accelerate past everyone (reminded me of Snoddy). I thought he was gone.
OL was awesome.
It's hard to wrap my mind around the two defenses I saw (both playing for GT). The defense of the first 2.5 quarters was one of the best I've seen at GT since CJT, and the defense of the last 1.5 (and OT) was equal to the worst - totally helpless.
That WR from Tennessee dominated our guys like he was Calvin Johnson or something. That was surprising. I was bewildered that Lance Austin (#17) and Corey Griffin were beaten by him for a TD on a simple 5 yard out that should've been stopped short of the first down.
How did UT not turn the ball over one time in their season opener? Is that an indictment of our defense? Usually turnovers have a significant element of luck to them.
But when our defense is giving up well over 6 ypp (please don't ever look a the total yards per game stat when we held the ball for 42 minutes), that has to be considered a failure overall. (3.23 ppd including overtime posessions)
Losing on the kicking game reminds me of my last game in high school - dominated the other team in the playoffs, played our hearts out, missed 2 extra points and a 15 yard field goal on the last play of the game to lose by 2.

IF we could somehow figure out a way to get CPJ a defense ... (dreams)

I do think we have a team that can win a lot of games and beat Ugag, so that's the main thing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
MAKE THE PITCH!!!! AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!! #%$#^# that made the final difference.... :(

Not necessarily. IIRC 75 (who I love) missed that block so it's quite possible the play would've/could've still failed. That said, I do agree the pitch was the better play.

Ah well ....

I still get a sense of joy at the couter (or w/e) play where TM rolls out with the 2 OL lookin' to seek 'n destroy. Love that play. How can anyone not love this offense? So much more imaginative than just piling fat-asses in front of a statue, throwing 3-yd passes in lieu of run plays, then throwing an occasional playaction pass. Wash, rinse, repeat. Yawn :oldman::sleep:

Or the ol' everybody rush to the LOS .. no, no ... wait, wait, wait everybody get out of your stance and stare back at the sideline so the coach can think for you ... wait, that's a picture of daffy duck so it's a run .... ohhhhhh, ok now shotgun snap and let our QB and RB caress the ball before one of 'em snatches it from the other then runs for his life. Yawn