Charlotte questions?

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
I live outside of Charlotte. My wife is a Hokie. Aside from last year, we have attended all of the ACC CG's locally. If you have questions about lodging or food, please ask away.

1. Price's chicken coop has amazing fried chicken, near the stadium.

2. Mac's speed shop on south blvd has nationally recognized barbecue beef brisket.

3. Gastonia is great for hotels, if you can legally carry a glock.

4. Beer temple in Matthews has the best beer selection, hands down.

5. SC gas is ~30-40 cents cheaper per gallon than NC or GA.

Please consider me a resource if you need one for the trip.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
LM, our hotel is in the vicinity of I-77 & Tyvola Rd. My mother & I are going so I need recommendations for best (safest) way to the stadium. I don't want to have to drive but would like to take local transit if possible. I appreciate any input you have.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a toss up- you'll have to drive to the light rail parking lot or drive to the game.

I would rather drive from the hotel (exit 5 on I-77) to downtown (exit 9 on I-77 N) and park. I've seen parking as low as $5 online.

Light rail is a nice thought but it doesn't have the true capacity we need to make an impact on traffic.

Bonus: Bill Spoon's Barbeque on South Blvd is close to your hotel. They serve barbecue pork, Brunswick stew, hush puppies and banana pudding. That's about it. Cash only.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Better than the Waldhorn Sunday brunch buffet in Pineville?
Haven't tried it. It's been years since I've lived there. I just make sure I stop by Christopher's whenever I'm close. It may be part nostalgia from when I was a kid but I did take my wife there once and she approved.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Will tickets get progressively cheaper as the game approaches? I need 5 and price is the highest consideration for me.

Also, I'm staying near the airport, something just off I-85 I believe, on Scott Futrell Drive... what's the best way into the stadium from there?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Will tickets get progressively cheaper as the game approaches? I need 5 and price is the highest consideration for me.

Also, I'm staying near the airport, something just off I-85 I believe, on Scott Futrell Drive... what's the best way into the stadium from there?
Take 85 to Freedom Drive it winds around in front of the stadium

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan
I have reservation at the Courtyard Charlotte University Research Park on West W.T. Harris blvd. I understand it's about 8 miles from stadium? My plan is to take a cab to and from. Is that an ok area? Will I be able to get a cab?

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the walk like from the light rail station to the stadium?

Any places you recommend tailgating around the stadium? Either outdoor or a bar?

I'm getting in at noon... anything I should do during the day? I'm staying right next to a light rail station, but will have no car.

Thanks for the help!!

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
I have reservation at the Courtyard Charlotte University Research Park on West W.T. Harris blvd. I understand it's about 8 miles from stadium? My plan is to take a cab to and from. Is that an ok area? Will I be able to get a cab?
Getting to the game won't be a problem. Finding a taxi to get back to the hotel could be a problem. We don't have a large visitor/convention scene like Atlanta.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the walk like from the light rail station to the stadium?

Any places you recommend tailgating around the stadium? Either outdoor or a bar?

I'm getting in at noon... anything I should do during the day? I'm staying right next to a light rail station, but will have no car.

Thanks for the help!!
It may be a 10 block walk from light rail to the stadium. Flat, pretty easy.

As for tailgating, lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Fins is off of the light rail and had a good seafood/beer thing. Maybe Jameis will show up there??

Discovery Place has an IMAX dome theater and it is showing a tribute to Dday. I highly recommend checking that out.

Animal02

Banned
From the GT Alumni site

Your Yellow Jackets are the 2014 ACC Coastal Division Champs and are headed to Charlotte for the ACC Championship! Put on your white and gold and get ready for the big game at the exclusive Georgia Tech ACC Championship Tailgate.

Saturday, December 6
4 - 7 p.m.
BlackFinn
210 East Trade Street, Suite 120-B, Charlotte, NC 28202
FREE Tailgate! Pay-As-You-Go Food & Beverage

Don't miss all the pregame action with fellow alumni and fans at BlackFinn which is conveniently located a 1/2 mile from the Bank of America Stadium. No reservations required, first come, first served.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
My favorite places to eat in Charlotte:

The Penguin - a hip hamburger joint that serves beer. Best fried pickles ever.

South 21 - old drive-in with good hamburgers and great fried chicken.

Showmars- order at the counter family restaurant with a Greek twist. I like their gyros and fried fish.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My favorite places to eat in Charlotte:

The Penguin - a hip hamburger joint that serves beer. Best fried pickles ever.

South 21 - old drive-in with good hamburgers and great fried chicken.

Showmars- order at the counter family restaurant with a Greek twist. I like their gyros and fried fish.
Showmars rules too.