Charlie Strong

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Did he interview for GT HC back in 2007?

Jmo here but I'm thinking he leads Texas to a National Title this coming season or next minimum.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I am interested to see how Strong does at Texas. He is a great coach, no doubt. The main question I have about him is if he can handle the politics of the Texas job.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am interested to see how Strong does at Texas. He is a great coach, no doubt. The main question I have about him is if he can handle the politics of the Texas job.

That's a good point. Much different than the PR you have to do at Louisville.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Man you just beat me to it. The question may not be "can he succeed?" but "will they let him?". Here's their top booster's opinion:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire
"I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

Really Red? A good "position coach"? "Maybe" a coordinator?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hear you and IJ7, but apologizing isn't the same as saying he didn't mean it. If they lose 2-3 games I'm sure ol' Red won't be behind the scenes politicking for a little more time for Charlie.

I agree. That is why I said out of the heart the mouth speaks. He meant it and now he is back peddling.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree. That is why I said out of the heart the mouth speaks. He meant it and now he is back peddling.

Yeah, I figured that's what you and your fancy quote meant. Look at you and all that snazzy book learnin'. (y) Red has a better back pedal than Primetime himself.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I believe most members of the board have agreed on one topic. Strong's record indicates he is a good coach. We can only hope he gets the backing he deserves to succeed at Texas.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
At least Mccombs has the resume to make a statement like that. He shouldn't have said it publicly and he should support his team first though.

I hope this is not racism speaking. I live in Austin and the local radio shows were discussing if UT is ready for a black coach. Before they got Strong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You want an idea of what Strong just stepped into? Look at Bill Curry's time at Bammer. His teams improved every year, his last team was 10 - 1 and shared the first SEC title to come to Tusscaloser since 1981. He also throughly modernized their recruiting program and business operations.

His thanks for all this? LeRoy Jordan and the old Bryant players who dominated the fan base there chased him off. He hadn't beat Awbun and, after all, he was a Tech guy.

I'm assuming that Strong will face just this sort of concentrated silliness at Texas. If anything, their big donors are even worse then Bammer's. (True, it's a photo finish.) If he doesn't win big and right away - and without Bridgewater and with what Texas has coming back, he won't - expect to see storm clouds very soon indeed.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
You want an idea of what Strong just stepped into? Look at Bill Curry's time at Bammer. His teams improved every year, his last team was 10 - 1 and shared the first SEC title to come to Tusscaloser since 1981. He also throughly modernized their recruiting program and business operations.

His thanks for all this? LeRoy Jordan and the old Bryant players who dominated the fan base there chased him off. He hadn't beat Awbun and, after all, he was a Tech guy.

I'm assuming that Strong will face just this sort of concentrated silliness at Texas. If anything, their big donors are even worse then Bammer's. (True, it's a photo finish.) If he doesn't win big and right away - and without Bridgewater and with what Texas has coming back, he won't - expect to see storm clouds very soon indeed.

Curry took Bama to a bowl his first year, Bear didn't do that. His fault was he just wasn't in the family.

At least Mccombs has the resume to make a statement like that. He shouldn't have said it publicly and he should support his team first though.

I hope this is not racism speaking. I live in Austin and the local radio shows were discussing if UT is ready for a black coach. Before they got Strong.
As in LSU Freek's Blazing Saddles? I think Texas was ready for that!