Charlie Strong

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by IronJacket7, Jan 13, 2014.

1. IronJacket7

IronJacket7 Helluva Engineer

Did he interview for GT HC back in 2007?

Jmo here but I'm thinking he leads Texas to a National Title this coming season or next minimum.

2. jchens_GT

jchens_GT Ramblin' Wreck

I am interested to see how Strong does at Texas. He is a great coach, no doubt. The main question I have about him is if he can handle the politics of the Texas job.

kg01 likes this.
  3. IronJacket7

That's a good point. Much different than the PR you have to do at Louisville.

4. kg01

kg01 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Man you just beat me to it. The question may not be "can he succeed?" but "will they let him?". Here's their top booster's opinion:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire
    Really Red? A good "position coach"? "Maybe" a coordinator?

5. IronJacket7

jchens_GT and ybeenormal like this.
  6. Stinger90

Stinger90 Helluva Engineer

IronJacket7 likes this.
  7. kg01

I hear you and IJ7, but apologizing isn't the same as saying he didn't mean it. If they lose 2-3 games I'm sure ol' Red won't be behind the scenes politicking for a little more time for Charlie.

ybeenormal likes this.
  8. IronJacket7

You're apologizing for not posting quick enough that he apologized. Awesome :p

9. IronJacket7

I agree. That is why I said out of the heart the mouth speaks. He meant it and now he is back peddling.

kg01 likes this.
  10. kg01

Yeah, I figured that's what you and your fancy quote meant. Look at you and all that snazzy book learnin'. (y) Red has a better back pedal than Primetime himself.

IronJacket7 likes this.
  11. Rodney Kent

Rodney Kent Ramblin' Wreck

Well, I believe most members of the board have agreed on one topic. Strong's record indicates he is a good coach. We can only hope he gets the backing he deserves to succeed at Texas.

12. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

If he recruits someone like Bridgewater, maybe, but one of Brown's failings was QB play since Vince Young left.

13. cyptomcat

cyptomcat Helluva Engineer

At least Mccombs has the resume to make a statement like that. He shouldn't have said it publicly and he should support his team first though.

I hope this is not racism speaking. I live in Austin and the local radio shows were discussing if UT is ready for a black coach. Before they got Strong.

14. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

You want an idea of what Strong just stepped into? Look at Bill Curry's time at Bammer. His teams improved every year, his last team was 10 - 1 and shared the first SEC title to come to Tusscaloser since 1981. He also throughly modernized their recruiting program and business operations.

His thanks for all this? LeRoy Jordan and the old Bryant players who dominated the fan base there chased him off. He hadn't beat Awbun and, after all, he was a Tech guy.

I'm assuming that Strong will face just this sort of concentrated silliness at Texas. If anything, their big donors are even worse then Bammer's. (True, it's a photo finish.) If he doesn't win big and right away - and without Bridgewater and with what Texas has coming back, he won't - expect to see storm clouds very soon indeed.

15. Stinger90

Stinger90 Helluva Engineer

Curry took Bama to a bowl his first year, Bear didn't do that. His fault was he just wasn't in the family.

16. Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau

Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau Banned

As in LSU Freek's Blazing Saddles? I think Texas was ready for that!

17. Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau

Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau Banned

But seriously, raise your hand if when it happened, you didn't say to yourself "WTF are they thinking? WTF is Curry thinking?" It was indeed hard to grasp.