Charles kelly

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
A little off topic, but if we did get Parker, we could possibly get some recruiting established in the Midwest. Since I moved here almost 30 years ago, I have wondered why we don't recruit more here. Competitive yes, but any worse than SEC/ACC area ? Generally very good school systems/students. Obviously better in a lot of ways than Purdue. Generally better weather all year round. Big city vs college towns , except Minn.
Your thoughts ?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A little off topic, but if we did get Parker, we could possibly get some recruiting established in the Midwest. Since I moved here almost 30 years ago, I have wondered why we don't recruit more here. Competitive yes, but any worse than SEC/ACC area ? Generally very good school systems/students. Obviously better in a lot of ways than Purdue. Generally better weather all year round. Big city vs college towns , except Minn.
Your thoughts ?
Our small recruiting staff and budget really inhibits casting a larger net. There’s only so many man hours among X number of staff. It’s also more expensive the farther away from home you recruit. So again, it comes down to resources: man hours and money. You also have to weigh the value of resources versus probability of landing targets. The farther away the less likely you are to land them. Same as the higher the stars.

Other than that, it’s a great idea.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Our small recruiting staff and budget really inhibits casting a larger net. There’s only so many man hours among X number of staff. It’s also more expensive the farther away from home you recruit. So again, it comes down to resources: man hours and money. You also have to weigh the value of resources versus probability of landing targets. The farther away the less likely you are to land them. Same as the higher the stars.

Yeah, as I wrote it the word " resources" ( or lack there of ) kept running through my mind........... dream on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Definitely need to recruit ga, but are we so sure we will get more/better athletes by spending "all" of increased spending doing more of what we are already doing?

It's not really an either or situation.

Recruiting in larger foot print starts with research and expressing interest by contacting coaches. I keep harping on houston and dallas because of the cheap air fare from Atlanta . With an overnite stay, a grad assist could make an initial visit to 4-5 academically exemplary suburban h schools ( who are always in the quarter finals playoffs). Sure most go to big 12 schools, but many don't. Sure most aren't savants, but many can cut it at tech . After a second trip to identify the key h s coaches, the contact could be made by an ast coach.

Once we get one recruit from houston / dallas, the word would spread and make recruiting easier.

That's how my houston pipeline engineering company grew. One market at a time. I took the red eye to and from Atlanta several times.

BUT we sure as heck didn t forget our Core area of Texas- so don't think I would not try harder in the core area we have eztablished.

IMO It's both.
Show interest and an occasional trip will tell us if we can be successful . I think ga tech academics and our family orientated environment will do very well in houston and dallas . Plus the kids are used big city .

If we give coach more resources to screen players and make contacts , he will do well.
As Jerry says
Let's go Jackets!

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Tstan is getting us more resources

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tstan is getting us more resources

I hope it actually becomes true. He has been here a year and we still haven't backfilled the shadow staff. I think every AD who has ever been here has tried to get more resources and raise money. Each in their own way.

For me, the real start is with the school; thats never changed. They do a phenomenal job of fundraising but purposely block the AA from joining. Scholarships for athletes are students too. But traditionally geeks hate athletes. They get their butt kicked in high school by jocks. So they take it out on them later in life. Hence how GT operates. Its personal. There is a reason the AA board is made up of 70 percent professors. Its purposeful status quo and control. The second the AA went on sanctions for mis-qualifying students under GOL years ago, the school stepped in and forced regulations on the program like never before.

Its been the time they were waiting for. Homer Rice stiff armed the school for years. Clough hated that. He couldn't stand he couldn't try to make GT Harvard. Because of athletics being so ingrained in our culture, we would never be viewed as academic elite.

So the second rice left, and the first instance the AA messes up, GOL was gone, the school stepped in. With recruiting oversite and control beyond the prior years.

What TStan needs to do is tell Peterson if you are not going to financially support me, and I have to do it all on my own, then you don't get to tell me or control, or see who I bring in. If I bring in SA's that can't make it through school, then punish me. As the programs won't do well and I will be accountable. But let me determine how the hell I run it, who is on my board, and how I want to spend.

Otherwise, give me money and you can have control

Get BALLS T Stan. For once, can we get an AD with BALLS to logically rework the system with his superior?

Its a darn joke and shame.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We should use our national reputation to enlarge our player pool. I recognize that will require more resources but we are losing too many GA players to schools outside the state. We need to improve line play. It was too obvious against UGA. Cast a wider net.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hope it actually becomes true. He has been here a year and we still haven't backfilled the shadow staff. I think every AD who has ever been here has tried to get more resources and raise money. Each in their own way.

For me, the real start is with the school; thats never changed. They do a phenomenal job of fundraising but purposely block the AA from joining. Scholarships for athletes are students too. But traditionally geeks hate athletes. They get their butt kicked in high school by jocks. So they take it out on them later in life. Hence how GT operates. Its personal. There is a reason the AA board is made up of 70 percent professors. Its purposeful status quo and control. The second the AA went on sanctions for mis-qualifying students under GOL years ago, the school stepped in and forced regulations on the program like never before.

Its been the time they were waiting for. Homer Rice stiff armed the school for years. Clough hated that. He couldn't stand he couldn't try to make GT Harvard. Because of athletics being so ingrained in our culture, we would never be viewed as academic elite.

So the second rice left, and the first instance the AA messes up, GOL was gone, the school stepped in. With recruiting oversite and control beyond the prior years.

What TStan needs to do is tell Peterson if you are not going to financially support me, and I have to do it all on my own, then you don't get to tell me or control, or see who I bring in. If I bring in SA's that can't make it through school, then punish me. As the programs won't do well and I will be accountable. But let me determine how the hell I run it, who is on my board, and how I want to spend.

Get BALLS T Stan. For once, can we get an AD with BALLS to logically rework the system with his superior?

Thanks for posting this 33. I hate the Hell out of those geeks in our school and Alumni Association who have gotten us to the point we are today. It is really disgusting that they don't want the GTAA to be funded , while at the same time raising all kinds of money to be a"Harvard" and "A world class university". I'd prefer to be a fine school with a top 10 athletic program. I do not give more than $25 to Roll Call and plan to reduce it to $2.50 as a insult. I actually was on The Founders Wall at one time, but had my eyes opened as to where they stood on athletics. I hope others on this board will follow my lead.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I agree with most of your narrative, but you left out a key ingredient, APR. Before APR, it really didn't matter how dumb the kids were, they just had to maintain a certain minimal GPA in remedial classes to stay eligible. After APR, kids have to stay on track to graduate a course load 10x more rigorous than what factory kids take. The Hill really didn't have to do anything, just let APR do it for them. You can't bring in knuckleheads anymore thanks to APR. Ross and GOL's graduation rates pale in comparison to CPJ's and it's mostly due to APR. The prospect pool has shrunken considerably. The entrance requirements may have stayed the same, but the staying in ones haven't.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of your narrative, but you left out a key ingredient, APR. Before APR, it really didn't matter how dumb the kids were, they just had to maintain a certain minimal GPA in remedial classes to stay eligible. After APR, kids have to stay on track to graduate a course load 10x more rigorous than what factory kids take. The Hill really didn't have to do anything, just let APR do it for them. You can't bring in knuckleheads anymore thanks to APR. Ross and GOL's graduation rates pale in comparison to CPJ's and it's mostly due to APR. The prospect pool has shrunken considerably. The entrance requirements may have stayed the same, but the staying in ones haven't.

APR is self reported. Its a joke metric if you ask me. I know that its something we need to do. But the hill stepped in FAR before APR (2-3 years). So I get it though.

FYI, there is a reason factories like Alabama have ranked in the top 10 in football APR. Its not a standard the NCAA sets by curriculum. Its one you determine on your own against your curriculum. Point is, we can require the exact same classes for a degree progress as we do today. But, in that requirement allow for more flexibility against what determines progress vs no progress....and also better and more class flexibility choices.

Lets be perfectly honest and clear. The SA's on our football team have study halls and personal tutors that give them large portions of tests. Enough of it, the SA's don't have a problem passing. Lets not kid ourselves.

Again, but this goes back to my original point. Let the AA determine who the heck they bring in and hold them accountable. If APR goes downhill fire the AD for not managing it properly; but allow the AD And coaches a chance to take their own risks as needed.

its a simple concept if you ask me. But people generally are gutless status quo leaders today. Very little transformational leadership nowadays at these lower levels (ie not CEO of Tesla or Google etc)

95% of the world as leaders is in CYA mode....trust it...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
This conversation has been very enlightening for me. Just to compare to Wisconsin ( oh no , not again ! ) , the athletic department at UW was not as successful as it is now until Barry Alvarez , a powerful force if there ever was one, became AD some years back. The entire department took a huge leap forward. Hopefully TStan can bring some of that to our school. Somebody has got to understand that the most influential branding today, like it or not, is athletic success. It bleeds over into everything about the school. National exposure , merchandising, contributions, even to the BOR. If our administration would treat it more like extremely powerful advertising, with potentially very good return on investment, they might change their tune.

Deleted member 2897

Interesting. Willie Taggert has been out meeting with recruits, and here is a picture of one of those in-home visits. But notice Charles Kelly is there smiling along. Now this was yesterday, after everyone knows Jim Leavitt is taking that position from Kelly. Weird really.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
APR is self reported. Its a joke metric if you ask me. I know that its something we need to do. But the hill stepped in FAR before APR (2-3 years). So I get it though. FYI, there is a reason factories like Alabama have ranked in the top 10 in football APR.

Agree, APR is far from a playing field leveler. In fact, it actually does the exact opposite. It makes it easier for joke majors and harder for real ones.

Its not a standard the NCAA sets by curriculum. Its one you determine on your own against your curriculum. Point is, we can require the exact same classes for a degree progress as we do today. But, in that requirement allow for more flexibility against what determines progress vs no progress....and also better and more class flexibility choices.

No idea what you just said.

Lets be perfectly honest and clear. The SA's on our football team have study halls and personal tutors that give them large portions of tests. Enough of it, the SA's don't have a problem passing. Lets not kid ourselves.

GT is still way harder than the underwater basketweaving courses at factories. It's a greater time and energy commitment as well and that takes it's toll on what the SA's have to give to football. The kids still have to do the work, do the projects, take the tests, which is different from word (old tests). I know, I had word.

Again, but this goes back to my original point. Let the AA determine who the heck they bring in and hold them accountable. If APR goes downhill fire the AD for not managing it properly; but allow the AD And coaches a chance to take their own risks as needed.

I thought CPJ had some leeway? He's taken some risks in the past and gotten burned badly. I think he's way too gun shy to go that direction anymore.

My point is Ross and O'Leary kept some kids in remedial or low level coursework to keep them eligible. Kids on diploma tracks could be anywhere on the path even at freshman level in year 5. We had some real knuckleheads in those days and some were our best players.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We have Adidas money coming in so hopefully that will help. And we have resources, we just throw them away on the dumpster fire that is GT Basketball. $50million arena upgrade, top of the line training facilities, paying for 3 coaches, our last AD was hired specifically for basketball, etc. All we have to show for it is failure, 3 players suspended, and a coach suspended for recruiting violations. Not to mention the less than upstanding alumni from that program. I'll get blasted for this, but Bobby Cremmins was the worst thing to happen to GT football since leaving the SEC.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
We have Adidas money coming in so hopefully that will help. And we have resources, we just throw them away on the dumpster fire that is GT Basketball. $50million arena upgrade, top of the line training facilities, paying for 3 coaches, our last AD was hired specifically for basketball, etc. All we have to show for it is failure, 3 players suspended, and a coach suspended for recruiting violations. Not to mention the less than upstanding alumni from that program. I'll get blasted for this, but Bobby Cremmins was the worst thing to happen to GT football since leaving the SEC.
@dtm1997

giphy.webp

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure bball is a dumpster fire. We do have the reigning ACC CoY.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif