Chargers fire OC Whisenhunt

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, I'll admit it, I was a Ken guy, still am ... good guy !
Don't know Ken but I remember him as solid GT player and great leader as we transitioned from Pepper to Curry.
Thomas Wolfe wrote, "You can never go home again."...which is not absolutely always true, I know... but it often seems true..
Ask any Bulldog fan what they remember most about the 1976 SEC Player of the Year....

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This remains GT’s biggest issue. We’re a fractured fan base and until the sides band behind 1 guy we will never be a successful program.

I understand, but dont totally agree with, what you are saying.

bama unified - yep.
Mich unified - no
Texas unified - nope.
Even ou (today) is not totally unified.
Ugag not unified.
Unc - yep
n.d. - nope.

It varies almost everywhere week to week.

slugboy

Staff member
I think this is who yall are thinking about, he was SO adamant that Whisenhunt was a done deal

View attachment 7060

There was a lot of press at the same time that made it look like a done deal, in social media, print, and TV. AA was buttoned up pretty tight.

Whether people thought it was a good deal is another story, but it looked really likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think this is who yall are thinking about, he was SO adamant that Whisenhunt was a done deal

View attachment 7060

I will say. The two guys who were adamant that Whisenhunt was going to be hired have had some really solid info on stuff since then, like recruits and transfers. In the end, I think TStan couldn't make an unpopular hire because he knew the transition would be difficult/ugly and he needed to hire someone who would have the fans' goodwill from the start. Remember the Collins hire had like a 90 percent approval rating on this board and he ended up needing every bit of that goodwill with the way the early season unfolded. I also think Whiz wanted more money for himself and his staff than we had to give. But I don't doubt that Whisenhunt was the first place TStan looked and he may well have made some sort of conditional or preliminary offer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt is old school football. The game is changing and "old school" coaches in the NFL who don't accept the changing landscape in football and don't want to adapt are getting phased out. It's why you don't see Chan Gailey mentioned anymore. After he was fired, he was actually a "hot" name for many OC jobs...and he eventually got another shot at being an NFL head coach.

Ken is a good guy, and a great GT representative...but he would have been a disaster here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Satterfield was the hire of the year in the ACC. Ken would have been a safe hire but he may not have wanted to leave pro coaching. GC probably was more aggressive that he wanted the job and is known for college recruiting.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Satterfield was the hire of the year in the ACC. Ken would have been a safe hire but he may not have wanted to leave pro coaching. GC probably was more aggressive that he wanted the job and is known for college recruiting.
I think Whisenhunt would have been a disaster. He’s not a good fit for the job at all. Collins was able to assemble a staff full of coaches with fairly strong resumés because he had made so many connections in his time coaching at various schools. He was able to carry over guys like Wiesehan and Thacker because they were on his staff at Temple and wanted to keep working with him. He was able to bring in guys like Kerry Dixon because they had worked together at previous jobs. And he was able to convince Brent Key to come over from Bama by selling him on his vision for the program. Whisenhunt’s connections are likely NFL coaches for the most part. Hiring NFL coaches to turn a college program around is a very risky move. I can’t even imagine who Whisenhunt would get to join him at Tech. And he would have been completely new to recruiting. He was far from a safe hire and likely would have done to our program what Charlie Weis did to Kansas. I hope Ken can still find another NFL job though.