Chargers fire OC Whisenhunt

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27953696/ken-whisenhunt-offensive-coordinator-chargers

The Los Angeles Chargers have fired offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, the team announced Monday night.

The Chargers are 3-5 this season and have failed to score more than 20 points in each of their last four games.
The offense as a whole has struggled, ranking 23rd in points per game (19.6), 28th in yards per rush (3.48), T-23rd in turnovers (13) and 31st in red zone scoring percentage (70.4). They are the only team in the Super Bowl era (since 1966) to rush for fewer than 40 yards in four straight games (all four since Melvin Gordon returned).

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The Falcons head coaching job will be open soon and KW could wind up being a candidate for that job.

source.gif

Deleted member 2897

Well that is an interesting take. Being in Seattle my only interaction with Tech fans is on swarm really. Can’t recall too many people execited at the prospect of KW

Same recollection here - which was the opposite. I recall near unanimity against Ken. Big donors were in Todd’s ear threatening to withhold money and everything.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember explaining to my band friends why Whisenhunt was a terrible idea. Even among the trombone section, there was only like one or two people who wanted him. I wanted Collins, and a few people wanted Tony Elliot, but Whisenhunt was by no means a popular choice. Field Yates is right: we’ll deny it. That’s what people tend to do to false statements.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I recall most posters here were opposed to KW

That’s the way I remember it as well. Those in favor of him thought the fact that he was a Tech man was the most important criteria and offset any other shortcomings. The rest of us were concerned that he did not have the college coaching experience, especially in recruiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk