Changing of the Guard

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have witnessed some victories over UGAg in the past. However, rarely have I come away from the game feeling like we were the better team. We were usually fortunate or just had a better day. 1990 may be the only exception in memory.

This one feels different. I honestly feel that we are actually the better team. We didn't do it with fluke plays or smoke and mirrors. We pushed them around and imposed our will. In fact, I would go so far as to say we would beat this team 6 or 7 times out of 10. I will enjoy the next 363 days just like everybody else, but I swear, the tides are shifting. Our program has caught up to them and I feel sure we will not be waiting nearly as long for another one. This thing has changed and the ignoramuses wearing red know it. Whether they admit it or not is another story.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Perhaps the most thrilling aspect of this game is that we dominated in the trenches, really on both sides of the ball, form about the middle of the second quarter on, and especially the entire second half. I have not seen a breakdown of stats by half, but I remember Chubb had 110 yards in the first half and he finished with 126, so that means he only got 16 in the entire 2nd half. Who would have thought that? Not me, I will admit it.

But now, a D line we all thought was a terrible weakness looks like it could be pretty impressive the next couple of years. The O line also loses only one senior (albeit a terrific player!) but brings back tons of experience. This has me more confidant than any list of returning backs ever could....

I have witnessed some victories over UGAg in the past. However, rarely have I come away from the game feeling like we were the better team. We were usually fortunate or just had a better day. 1990 may be the only exception in memory.

This one feels different. I honestly feel that we are actually the better team. We didn't do it with fluke plays or smoke and mirrors. We pushed them around and imposed our will. In fact, I would go so far as to say we would beat this team 6 or 7 times out of 10. I will enjoy the next 363 days just like everybody else, but I swear, the tides are shifting. Our program has caught up to them and I feel sure we will not be waiting nearly as long for another one. This thing has changed and the ignoramuses wearing red know it. Whether they admit it or not is another story.
I understand your high but to say the tides have turned is stretching it. Only saying this because I love football in general. Just a silly comment.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling Mizzou winning Friday had a little something to do with how they played. They had to know they were a 14 point favorite also.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree in the end we were the better team. The Oline just straight up dominated and reenforcements are on the way for next season.
Losing only one on both lines is Huge.
Our recruits at the skill positions particularly maybe potentially more talented than what we are losing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also think we might be seeing the beginning of true parity with all of our opponents. We'll see next year and our losses at WR, DB, BB, and AB will hurt, at least at first. We had better be working up our replacements in all three of these area for the rest of the year.

For all that, however, I think we have the main components - both lines, the LBs, our QBs - coming back. I also think that ultimately the replacements we have coming in (provided the creek don't rise) are, overall, more talented then those they replace. (We won't see equivalents of Laskey/Days or Golden/Johnson, but otherwise …) And we have many players coming up and in that promise an upgrade to the one area that has been a concern all year, the DL. Even losing the players we do this year, I think our chances to be much better on D are quite good. And, by the time the leaves turn, I expect the O will be humming too.

Now Let's extend Coach, give him all the money and resources he wants, and cement this thing in place.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with you ATL, we were the better team yesterday.

We are still behind them overall at the moment though... It will take several more years of high level recruiting to reach their level of depth.

We have the essential parts to complete the job (infrastructure, leadership, tradition, conference) but we have to finish the job. That requires stability of leadership. administrative support, and full fan buy in and support.

I am very personally familiar with uga and their program.... they have all these things already in place and are several years ahead of us in the process...we have the opportunity, we've got to "strike while the iron's hot" and drop the hammer... hope we as fans are prepared to do our part.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have to agree with boomer. We have finally caught up with the mutts and are the better team. Will that continue for 3-4 more years? I believe so. If the mutts are dumb enough to send Richt packing....very good chance they could take the same path Tennessee has.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I disagree, they were playing their guts out, if we could play again next weekend with neatral refs we'd beat those bastards by 14
Absolutely correct. UGA was clearly playing the game as hard or harder than they ever do. They never fail to play up for this game and give it their best effort on senior day.

Just the same as Clemson clearly gave it their best effort. The penchant for some people to downplay Tech's opponent if Tech beats them down and is clearly the superior team and has the superior game plan and makes superior in game coaching decisions is really annoying to me. It was the wind for USC, Watson getting hurt for Clemson, and now Missouri beating Arkansas for UGA.

Tech beat each of those teams backsides up and down the field. The only reason UGA had a chance in this game was the blatant fraud of their referees. Any Tech fan who does the biased media and SEC fan's job for them of downplaying and diminishing this Tech team and their accomplishments is no pal of mine.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Umm, what IS "our part'??

Money?

Money matters, no doubt... but that is not our primary opportunity as fans right now. We already do a pretty darn good job with that.. In fact, pound for pound, I'd put us up against most.

Our primary opportunity is to become more engaged (year round) in overt support of the program. The objective will be to create a viable, legitimate alternative to the State University for recruits.

The best comparison I can think of right now is to be Auburn to Alabama... maybe Louisville to Kentucky..... Please know I am talking about football and business, I am NOT talking about academic comparisons in ANY way... hope we can stay on the original topic of recruiting football players and football performance vs. Ga.

Knowing both programs well... I will give my honest, objective assessment of the advantages each have today:

We already have advantages in these areas-
-Academic reputation
-Physical location (Atl)

Ga has advantages in these areas-
-Size of fanbase
-Engagement of fanbase
-Variety and relatively less rigorous academic offerings
-Media hype due to conference affiliation
-Full 100% commitment of their administration
-Continuity of coaching staff

*Academic reputation- We own this and there is nothing Ga can do about it... Our job= enjoy and be proud of it.

*Physical location- We own this too and there is nothing Ga can do about it. Yes, I realize the City isn't for everybody, but all things being equal, a significant majority of recruits will be more excited about living in Atl vs. Athens, Ga... Our job= Play up the variety and diversity of our city.

*Size of fanbase- Ga owns this and realistically there is nothing we can do to change this. The relative size of the schools mostly precludes us from having "more" fans than them.
Our job= Accept our responsibility to buy season tickets and go to games (home and away when possible)

*Engagement of fanbase- This is by far the greatest impact we can have on recruiting and our program in general... Our job= Get out of the shadows and engage in the promotion of the program.. I would guess near 100% of folks reading this board are already doing this, so our job is to encourage others to do so as well... Wear your Tech stuff, call the call-in shows, be vocal (not obnoxious) at work, church, youth sports, etc.... don't be "too cool" for that stuff... it matters, a LOT.
Doing this makes us a viable alternative in recruit's hearts and minds. There are more Bama fans than AU fans, but the AU fans are present, vocal, and proud. They are certainly a viable alternative to Bama and engage them head on in the state.

*Variety of academic offerings- There is little we can do directly on this... However, the engagement we talked about above, will lead to a greater awareness from our administration of the financial benefits gained from athletic success and subsequently should lead them to further cooperation and increase their courage to challenge the BOR for at least the appearance of impartiality between the two major schools in the state. Might not work but can NOT hurt.

*Media Hype- Our job= Participate in media debates enthusiastically... It's a leisurely past time and hobby, it doesn't hurt anything.. call up and have some fun!
Be proud and be confident, focus on us.. no whining about how unfair everything is... :)

*Admin support- Covered above

*Continuity of Coaching Staff- This one is huge and is THE common thread of programs that rise from their current reality to a higher level of prominence... I think we all (generally) agree that we have a Coach that has demonstrated his ability and willingness to lead our proud program positively into the future...
Our job= Insist that we secure our Head Coach and give him the ability to retain our Staff as he feels appropriate. If we want a top program we have to pay for top leadership.... Get behind the Coach and program, even if you disagree with some aspects of their leadership... Every single successful organization shares that quality... The willingness to give a little on some points in order to ensure the overall success and well being of the bigger prize...

Sorry to be so wordy... hope everyone has a great post victory Sunday!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have a feeling Mizzou winning Friday had a little something to do with how they played. They had to know they were a 14 point favorite also.
Didn't seem to effect them on their first few drives. don't think what is what caused them to fumble twice inside the 5 yard line.
Granted, that's JMO.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Money matters, no doubt... but that is not our primary opportunity as fans right now. We already do a pretty darn good job with that.. In fact, pound for pound, I'd put us up against most.

Our primary opportunity is to become more engaged (year round) in overt support of the program. The objective will be to create a viable, legitimate alternative to the State University for recruits.

The best comparison I can think of right now is to be Auburn to Alabama... maybe Louisville to Kentucky..... Please know I am talking about football and business, I am NOT talking about academic comparisons in ANY way... hope we can stay on the original topic of recruiting football players and football performance vs. Ga.

Knowing both programs well... I will give my honest, objective assessment of the advantages each have today:

We already have advantages in these areas-
-Academic reputation
-Physical location (Atl)

Ga has advantages in these areas-
-Size of fanbase
-Engagement of fanbase
-Variety and relatively less rigorous academic offerings
-Media hype due to conference affiliation
-Full 100% commitment of their administration
-Continuity of coaching staff

*Academic reputation- We own this and there is nothing Ga can do about it... Our job= enjoy and be proud of it.

*Physical location- We own this too and there is nothing Ga can do about it. Yes, I realize the City isn't for everybody, but all things being equal, a significant majority of recruits will be more excited about living in Atl vs. Athens, Ga... Our job= Play up the variety and diversity of our city.

*Size of fanbase- Ga owns this and realistically there is nothing we can do to change this. The relative size of the schools mostly precludes us from having "more" fans than them.
Our job= Accept our responsibility to buy season tickets and go to games (home and away when possible)

*Engagement of fanbase- This is by far the greatest impact we can have on recruiting and our program in general... Our job= Get out of the shadows and engage in the promotion of the program.. I would guess near 100% of folks reading this board are already doing this, so our job is to encourage others to do so as well... Wear your Tech stuff, call the call-in shows, be vocal (not obnoxious) at work, church, youth sports, etc.... don't be "too cool" for that stuff... it matters, a LOT.
Doing this makes us a viable alternative in recruit's hearts and minds. There are more Bama fans than AU fans, but the AU fans are present, vocal, and proud. They are certainly a viable alternative to Bama and engage them head on in the state.

*Variety of academic offerings- There is little we can do directly on this... However, the engagement we talked about above, will lead to a greater awareness from our administration of the financial benefits gained from athletic success and subsequently should lead them to further cooperation and increase their courage to challenge the BOR for at least the appearance of impartiality between the two major schools in the state. Might not work but can NOT hurt.

*Media Hype- Our job= Participate in media debates enthusiastically... It's a leisurely past time and hobby, it doesn't hurt anything.. call up and have some fun!
Be proud and be confident, focus on us.. no whining about how unfair everything is... :)

*Admin support- Covered above

*Continuity of Coaching Staff- This one is huge and is THE common thread of programs that rise from their current reality to a higher level of prominence... I think we all (generally) agree that we have a Coach that has demonstrated his ability and willingness to lead our proud program positively into the future...
Our job= Insist that we secure our Head Coach and give him the ability to retain our Staff as he feels appropriate. If we want a top program we have to pay for top leadership.... Get behind the Coach and program, even if you disagree with some aspects of their leadership... Every single successful organization shares that quality... The willingness to give a little on some points in order to ensure the overall success and well being of the bigger prize...

Sorry to be so wordy... hope everyone has a great post victory Sunday!

Ummm.... All of the above again!

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Idk if this will carry over into coming years, but I noticed a transformation in this team after the UNC game. This team, more than any other in the CPJ era, took on the personality of it's coach. They became angry, relentless, and ruthless. Even when they were down w 18 seconds yesterday, I don't think any of those guys thought they were going to lose that game. That, to me, was the most encouraging thing I saw yesterday. I don't think any GT team since 2008 really thought they were the equals of u(sic)ga. Until yesterday. When this program starts conducting all facets of their business believing they are u(sic)ga's equals, THEN the guard will change. But I believe that day is coming...

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I dont think them not making sec championship game had anything to do with that game. The second half of the game we ran down their throats ever one says we are not deep but Chubb got nothing in the second half. So I guess our 2and 3 star players should have been 4and 5 stars. And Mr. Freeman is going to be a beast.next 3to 4yyears are going to be special

The winds are changing. The series of plays called after Tech recovered the botched kick off offensively and defensively were the sort of actions that would have been the demise of Tech in the past. This team found a way to win this game when the game seemed unwinnable. How many times has Tech walked off the field not thinking, but knowing they should have won the game had it not been for some crazy call or no call or 97 freaking no fumble recovery crap plays like that have occurred. They beat all the odds there were to beat. JT may be this generations Joe Hamilton and that excites me. This team could go on a three or four year run against ugag.