CGC talks with Wes Durham

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wes comes in the local sports talk station up here in Raleigh, and man does it bring back some good memories. By the way he talks up Collins and GT in general, you can tell he still has a soft spot in his heart for the Jackets. Too bad he's getting that Falcon and ACC network money now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
Really hope he can continue to drive and market and sell, sell, sell, but I do not want his kids to not see their Dad. There has to be a balance. I do appreciate the work ethic, though, and I do know this is what sa(t)an does and expects from his assistants. I have told the funeral story before, so I won't mention it again.
He is helping his family move to Atlanta. They have been in Philadelphia. His wife and daughter will be around often once they live in Atlanta rather than Philadelphia.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wes is the best...

I am sure Wes still loves the Jackets. I was part of a conversation with Wes after a recent basketball game and he spoke well of the institute. Doubt there is much Tech could do to get him back in the fold tho.

I recall a game where Charlie Rogers returned a punt for a TD. He was over the top with "Oh Charlie".

All the best Wes!

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He has a show with Mark Packer from 7-10 AM on ACC Radio - 371. Typically repeated from 10-1.

I'm sure Wes would've KILLED some Waffle House at the 50 yard line at Grant Field. ;)

I listen on Sirius every morning driving to work. Wes does the show from his home in Atlanta, and Mark is in his home in Charlotte.
Today, in fact, they told Tom Luginbill he needs to bring the Waffle House truck to them next time he’s in Atlanta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Really hope he can continue to drive and market and sell, sell, sell, but I do not want his kids to not see their Dad. There has to be a balance. I do appreciate the work ethic, though, and I do know this is what sa(t)an does and expects from his assistants. I have told the funeral story before, so I won't mention it again.
Collins preaches family above everything and he means actual family and the team which he considers extended family. If you go and listen to his introductory press conference he talked about how his wife was always around the team when they were at Temple (and I assume his daughter was with his wife). The only reason he has not seen his daughter in a month is because they are still up in Pennsylvania I am guessing getting everything ready for the move. He also mentioned that he did do FaceTime with his daughter so while he hasen't seen her in person he has spent time talking to her.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins preaches family above everything and he means actual family and the team which he considers extended family. If you go and listen to his introductory press conference he talked about how his wife was always around the team when they were at Temple (and I assume his daughter was with his wife). The only reason he has not seen his daughter in a month is because they are still up in Pennsylvania I am guessing getting everything ready for the move. He also mentioned that he did do FaceTime with his daughter so while he hasen't seen her in person he has spent time talking to her.

Yes, but thank you for the reminder for those that need it. I am kind of plugged in very closely, so all of that is common knowledge, but I am sure there are some that were not aware.

FYI - I Facetime with my granddaughter - better than nothing, for sure, but kids need more real contact. Like you said, I believe once they are in the ATL, CGC will be able to take the time to be a "more time with the kids" dad (which I am sure he is) and a great coach. (may not sleep very much) I do realize though that sometimes driven people can neglect family. I doubt that will happen with CGC. Hoping he has people around him that will let him know if they see that happening.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Love Wes Durham, I wonder if he'd ever come back ??
$$$$$$$$$s needed to do so are not in the realistic budget.

So unless Wes tires of traveling more so than he did when he was the voice of the Jackets and Falcons, I don't see it happening.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
$$$$$$$$$s needed to do so are not in the realistic budget.

So unless Wes tires of traveling more so than he did when he was the voice of the Jackets and Falcons, I don't see it happening.
His dad stayed as the voice of the tar heels his entire career. It's amazing how much they sound alike. Wes has been super successful in the Atlanta market. He is right up there with Al Ciraldo as my favorite GT announcer.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
His dad stayed as the voice of the tar heels his entire career. It's amazing how much they sound alike. Wes has been super successful in the Atlanta market. He is right up there with Al Ciraldo as my favorite GT announcer.
So true, Woody and Wes sounded VERY similar.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You guys remember Keith Jackson? He's retired now, but he use to be the seminal voice of college football.

IMO, Wes is every bit as good, and his voice is every bit as commanding as Keith Jackson's. Both have the same self deprecating, "aww shucks", approach to calling a game.