CGC reminds him of Butch Jones

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's interesting because i thought Paul's retirement had caught TStan by surprise:cigar:
Its sorta like presidents and Supreme Court justices. If you are the president one of your jobs is to have nominees for the USSC in mind pretty much all the time. Most of the justices are old and you never know when one will drop dead on you or suddenly retire.

I think every AD has a list of people he'd try to get if a coach suddenly retires or does something stupid enough to require throwing him/her out. There's no real contradiction to say that Titan was surprised by Paul's decision and that he already had Coach in mind as an option. I think this is the best fit for the facts as we know them. It's also what we should expect of anyone who is our AD.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Its sorta like presidents and Supreme Court justices. If you are the president one of your jobs is to have nominees for the USSC in mind pretty much all the time. Most of the justices are old and you never know when one will drop dead on you or suddenly retire.

I think every AD has a list of people he'd try to get if a coach suddenly retires or does something stupid enough to require throwing him/her out. There's no real contradiction to say that Titan was surprised by Paul's decision and that he already had Coach in mind as an option. I think this is the best fit for the facts as we know them. It's also what we should expect of anyone who is our AD.

TStan was pretty clear that he had a number of discussions with CJP over the course of the season about possible retirement. Even if he was ultimately surprised by his final decision, he knew CPJ's time was limited and I am sure that he had a list. Heck, even if he thought there was 0% chance, every AD should still have a list. CPJ even said that, had DRad not been hired, he may have retired a year or two earlier.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
TStan was pretty clear that he had a number of discussions with CJP over the course of the season about possible retirement. Even if he was ultimately surprised by his final decision, he knew CPJ's time was limited and I am sure that he had a list. Heck, even if he thought there was 0% chance, every AD should still have a list. CPJ even said that, had DRad not been hired, he may have retired a year or two earlier.

TStan has been quoted as saying he asked Coach Johnson to take his time about retiring, not to make a rash decision. He knew what Coach was thinking the whole time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The fact that you are taking my statements so literally shows your ignorance and willingness to accept mediocrity.

I'm pretty sure the tenor of my posts have been such that I am excited about CGC and look forward to what he can do here. I do insist on the use of facts. What is ignorant is to present absolutes in an argument when they aren't true at all...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think TStan had gotten used to the idea he had another year of CPJ. He was ready for a CPJ retirement, just in 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is in line with what I heard from my friend who works for the GTAA. TStan was prepared for CPJ to retire, but the timing came sooner than he wanted.

I don't know that it would have made a huge difference in coach availability. CGC was a good hire with lots of upside. I don't know that there would be anyone "better" on the market this December.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This is in line with what I heard from my friend who works for the GTAA. TStan was prepared for CPJ to retire, but the timing came sooner than he wanted.

I don't know that it would have made a huge difference in coach availability. CGC was a good hire with lots of upside. I don't know that there would be anyone "better" on the market this December.

Probably would have still be Coach Collins.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Probably would have still be Coach Collins.

I'd like to think so, but reality is that one of the better schools looking this past year may have gotten him. I mean, Miami got his one week replacement at Temple... Had he been snatched up into a P5 rebuild and the record the first year was middle of the road, is he sellable as a hire to the donors writing the checks? Ultimately, I am glad we got him when we did.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to think so, but reality is that one of the better schools looking this past year may have gotten him. I mean, Miami got his one week replacement at Temple... Had he been snatched up into a P5 rebuild and the record the first year was middle of the road, is he sellable as a hire to the donors writing the checks? Ultimately, I am glad we got him when we did.
Georgia Tech may have hired Jason Candle of Toledo if Paul Johnson would have retired in December 2019