CGC Radio Show

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
He could spend some time talking about how they're going to improve in-game decision making, what steps are being taken to get plays called in on time, how we're going manage subsitutions so we have the right number of players on the field AND the ones we want on the field for the plays we want to run or the defense we want to be in, what we're doing to make more 40yd FGs than we miss, who's taught him not to blow his timeouts, what is being done about OL blocking, Sims footwork and throwing mechanics, how the defense is going to make sure they're all running the same scheme, etc. You know, football stuff. That would go a long way. He could also add what's being done to restore discipline to the team & getting them to play as a team and not individuals.
It’s been nice not seeing him drool over press conferences. We will see In a week what he’s been doing for the last 9 months

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i think they all fit into different archetypes.

saban wannabes who are hyper critical of everything. beat an FCS team by 40 and act mad to the press about how the team didn’t play well and they have a long way to go. also pretend like a they could get caught by anyone including charleston southern/directional missouri tech/whoever.

dabo archetypes who constantly sell the program always have stats. see dabo always saying something weird like “clemson is the first team to open the season with a win over a top 5 ranked sec opponent after winning a bowl game vs a top 8 big 10 opponent.” also pushes the phrase of the season a la dan quinn. something something brotherhood.

leach archetypes who are weird and quirky. definitely good as an outsider but i think having to listen to it weekly would remove the appeal. much prefer to observe from afar when an exceptionally zany quote goes viral

spurrier types which are few and far between but the funniest. that guy could have done a standup tour in his heyday just off uga hate material.

boring guys. think malzahn, bill belichick, paul johnson occasionally. media to them is an obligation. not an opportunity to sell the program for them and they would 1000% not be there if they weren’t fulfilling a job requirement. hard to get to this point without gaining respect on the way up. have seen that media will turn on these guys FAST if the results aren’t there

for the most part every coach falls into line with one of those. when you win no one cares but when you lose everyone picks apart what you have to say 10x harder

This is a quality post. Only addition from me would be the Ed Orgeron mold where you can say whatever you want because no one will understand it anyways...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i think they all fit into different archetypes.

saban wannabes who are hyper critical of everything. beat an FCS team by 40 and act mad to the press about how the team didn’t play well and they have a long way to go. also pretend like a they could get caught by anyone including charleston southern/directional missouri tech/whoever.

dabo archetypes who constantly sell the program always have stats. see dabo always saying something weird like “clemson is the first team to open the season with a win over a top 5 ranked sec opponent after winning a bowl game vs a top 8 big 10 opponent.” also pushes the phrase of the season a la dan quinn. something something brotherhood.

leach archetypes who are weird and quirky. definitely good as an outsider but i think having to listen to it weekly would remove the appeal. much prefer to observe from afar when an exceptionally zany quote goes viral

spurrier types which are few and far between but the funniest. that guy could have done a standup tour in his heyday just off uga hate material.

boring guys. think malzahn, bill belichick, paul johnson occasionally. media to them is an obligation. not an opportunity to sell the program for them and they would 1000% not be there if they weren’t fulfilling a job requirement. hard to get to this point without gaining respect on the way up. have seen that media will turn on these guys FAST if the results aren’t there

for the most part every coach falls into line with one of those. when you win no one cares but when you lose everyone picks apart what you have to say 10x harder
Good post... I liked it and got a message asking if I was sure that I wanted to apply this reaction. Never seen that before. I guess the powers that be want me to think twice before agreeing with you? :ROFLMAO:
The truest part is the last part... just win and nothing else matters. Losing puts everyone under a microscope.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
O'Leary was great at "Lunch with George" at AMC before home games. Could not do it today with all the recording cell phones.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Elite, trust the process, creating a culture of Excellence, embrace the fundamentals, Relentlessly evaluate, passion... I could do a CGC Radio show.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When he was talking to the accn as they visited gt on road trip, he deflected and said the cgc culture has been in grained in the team leaders. He said that they are the ones doing all the elite, competition is king, etc slogans. Now he is focused on the coaching. Unbelievable. Defense better lead the way

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Elite, trust the process, creating a culture of Excellence, embrace the fundamentals, Relentlessly evaluate, passion... I could do a CGC Radio show.
You forgot to throw in all the things at Temple that were really successful.
but yeah, other than that, pretty danged close.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed the way Pepper Rodgers (often accused of being Hollywood type) did media, got a kick out of it, and, conversely, really appreciated how Paul Johnson did interviews.

From Paul I always felt like I could get a feel for how much hope to have or not have about an upcoming opponent based on how he assessed the team’s performance in practice or in a previous game. Somethings were out of his hands at a given point in the season and I appreciated his cynicism. Bobby Bowden was good also at “it is what it is” but made it so funny you were ok about it. Vince Dooley was a combination of Saban (if we don’t get our act together we’re going to lose a lot of games) and Dabo (we have some really fine athletes giving 100% that I am so proud of). Dooley even mixed in a little bit of Dodd praising the fine coaching job on the other side of the field and the outstanding athletes.

CGC isn’t good at this but I think we all agree we wouldn’t care if he just started winning.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
He could spend some time talking about how they're going to improve in-game decision making, what steps are being taken to get plays called in on time, how we're going manage subsitutions so we have the right number of players on the field AND the ones we want on the field for the plays we want to run or the defense we want to be in, what we're doing to make more 40yd FGs than we miss, who's taught him not to blow his timeouts, what is being done about OL blocking, Sims footwork and throwing mechanics, how the defense is going to make sure they're all running the same scheme, etc. You know, football stuff. That would go a long way. He could also add what's being done to restore discipline to the team & getting them to play as a team and not individuals.

reread this and decide if you think any coach in America would go through this litany of how much they suck in the mind of some forum dude.

you'd be calling him weak, and rightfully so, if he did so.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Any recap from last night?
Well... it wasn't on 680 because of the Braves game. Aaaaannnnddd, then it wasn't on the GT app, which was also playing the Braves game. Mike Flynn tweeted out that it was live on the app and then people made him aware that it wasn't. They did get it playing on the app about halfway through but I didn't listen. The next day, you can't find it on Apple or Spotify.

So... new season, new coaches show, and good luck finding or listening.

Mistakes happen, and it's tough that we share radio with the Braves, but this is literally keystone cops stuff. I mean, we know when the Braves play and when they broadcast. This is the kind of basic stuff that we just struggle to get right.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I enrolled fall of 1977. The best Tech coach's show BY FAR was Pepper Rodgers' weekly TV show. It was the most entertaining show and stood out among the masses of coaches droning on and showing some some film clips of the blocking scheme for how to run a guard trap play. Pepper had a guest celebrity on each week. My favorite was the Training Table segment with Julia Child! Pepper in his old gold chef jacket and toque and enticing recruits to "come to Georgia Tech, you'll have good food to eat!" and then offering Julia a job. She clearly was enjoying herself with a big smile on her face and laughing out loud a lot as Pepper riffed his funny comments. She said later she had a ball on this show.

Pepper won, too! (including at Kansas and UCLA, and at Tech)

(I have this same Corningware baking dish set)

Thanks for sharing that. I never knew that happened. I was waiting for Pepper to cut his finger a la Dan Akroyd

Besides the corningware those countertops were topshelf formica. :)