CGC Radio Show

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not sure who you were asking the question of but this is what I would say. “Bureaucracy” has, rightly or wrongly, become a stigmatized word. Replace that with the word “organization” and you have a value neutral word that can then be modified with an adjective like good or bad.

I have certainly run into government agencies that were badly run organizations. It may have been bad from the top down or it may be that I simply encounter an incompetent or poor local representative. My good experiences with the government involved the IRS, a U.S. embassy, the Post Office, Georgia State Patrol and Social Security, to name a few. The worst experiences I have ever had with organizations were with restaurants, airlines, retail stores, insurance companies, builders and chambers of commerce.

But my personal experience doesn’t prove any more than your personal experience. Which is why I was looking for something more that I could sink my teeth into.
Just as an FYI, many years ago when I interviewed with HUD in Washington DC, I was informed that if I was the type of person who insisted on hiring the best person for the job that I would not fit in at HUD. Their objectives were social equity and NOT based on merit. That is what federal bureaucracy means to many.

There is no certainty that private businesses are more effective or efficient, but basing hiring and promotions on merit instead of social equity generally works better.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, that’s a cliche that sheds little light on helping me understand the problem at Tech. Most of the self important people I have met were business owners. But that doesn’t mean all business owners act self important. Most people I have known in government were true public servants. But that doesn’t mean everyone in government is a servant.

I just wish people could give a rational explanation for what is going wrong at Tech sans emotionalism or useless cliches.
He paints a picture that 85% of the audience quickly understood without diving into details. This didn’t paint a picture for you, which is fine, and it’s completely OK for you to clarify. That’s discussion and that’s constructive. Admonishing someone because their description doesn’t fit your experiences, when you are in a very small minority, is part of the woke problem we are experiencing in society today.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If something is poorly run I instantly think of several well known golf courses around the world that are losing money. So, no, just saying “government” sheds no more light on the topic than saying “golf course.”

But the key word here is “light.” Like, what’s actually wrong at Tech?
If you don't understand the expression, then you're probably in a world of one.

Georgia Tech is a bureaucratic state entity. They are state employees (even GTAA). It's really hard to fire a state employee. This can breed a certain sentiment amongst the rank and file employees (doesn't mean it does). Bureaucracy also tends to stifle innovation and creativity. Those who are innovative and creative tend to find other paths. What is left is average to below-average employees who are territorial, possessive, petty, and just not really good at what they do. Thus, the idea is to maintain the status quo. It's hard for upper management to affect effective change in a system like this. It's almost impossible to dislodge these entrenched employees. So, the beat goes on.

Now, I know you know all of this, so I think you're just trying to be contrary. Maybe you're a "government" employee. If so, don't take it personal.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's almost impossible to dislodge these entrenched employees. So, the beat goes on.
I agree that the task is very, very difficult but it is doable. Few have the willpower and stamina to fight these battles so they succumb to the system rather than fight the fight necessary. This is true whether in the private or public sector. It is easier to tolerate the status quo when your compensation package is 7 figures plus annually. You can become numb to what is really happening around you. I saw it in my time in the corporate world so it is not restricted to just gov't agencies.

FWIW, I am really pumped up about the game (added to avoid bans or warnings for off topic! :))

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree that the task is very, very difficult but it is doable. Few have the willpower and stamina to fight these battles so they succumb to the system rather than fight the fight necessary. This is true whether in the private or public sector. It is easier to tolerate the status quo when your compensation package is 7 figures plus annually. You can become numb to what is really happening around you. I saw it in my time in the corporate world so it is not restricted to just gov't agencies.

FWIW, I am really pumped up about the game (added to avoid bans or warnings for off topic! :))

Too late!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, let's get this thread back to the CGC radio show. While interesting to some, the intricacies of organizational structures and their associated efficiencies seem a bit off topic in this thread.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
oh boy.. went to https://ramblinwreck.com/gt60-live-coach-collins/ to find a link and while nothing is there yet, they did manage to post a date of January 1900 and have a big red rectangle on the page.. so that is something?

1662133270967.png

1662133312168.png

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

Georgia Tech is a bureaucratic state entity. They are state employees (even GTAA). It's really hard to fire a state employee. This can breed a certain sentiment amongst the rank and file employees (doesn't mean it does). Bureaucracy also tends to stifle innovation and creativity. Those who are innovative and creative tend to find other paths. What is left is average to below-average employees who are territorial, possessive, petty, and just not really good at what they do. Thus, the idea is to maintain the status quo. It's hard for upper management to affect effective change in a system like this. It's almost impossible to dislodge these entrenched employees. So, the beat goes on.

Now, I know you know all of this, so I think you're just trying to be contrary. Maybe you're a "government" employee. If so, don't take it personal.
Not to further derail the thread (I know too late) but if I connect some dots on the point NE Stinger is bringing up I'd agree it seems lazy to just chalk it up to "government"/"bureaucracy" because that is not something unique to GT. We're competing entirely with other entities who have to deal with the same/similar bureaucratic challenges and many are not tripping over themselves in the same ways that GT seems to. At that point I'd point to leadership but don't know enough about it to say much more. Certainly interested if others have actual insight.

Anyways, glad to hear it sounds like coach is understanding he needs 6 wins and not laughing off bowl expectations. Excited to see a revamped offense Monday night.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Well... it wasn't on 680 because of the Braves game. Aaaaannnnddd, then it wasn't on the GT app, which was also playing the Braves game. Mike Flynn tweeted out that it was live on the app and then people made him aware that it wasn't. They did get it playing on the app about halfway through but I didn't listen. The next day, you can't find it on Apple or Spotify.

So... new season, new coaches show, and good luck finding or listening.

Mistakes happen, and it's tough that we share radio with the Braves, but this is literally keystone cops stuff. I mean, we know when the Braves play and when they broadcast. This is the kind of basic stuff that we just struggle to get right.
It’s kind of our *Gold* standard at Tech. Doing Tech things is what we do best !

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You’re still struggling to explain. I feel for you. Suggesting my experience is unique and that you speak for the great unwashed masses is quaint but still sheds no light.

Let’s try this. UGA is also a government organization with government workers. But I don’t sense that they have had a 30 year problem of getting their athletic department to make improvements. So “government” sounds like a not entirely adequate way to describe Tech’s problems. I understand it completely summarizes the problem from your perspective but it is inadequate to me.

But if you are satisfied you have settled the issue to your satisfaction then by all means you can quit trying to convince me. Because saying “government” to me just sounds like gobbledegook.

Sorry.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He paints a picture that 85% of the audience quickly understood without diving into details. This didn’t paint a picture for you, which is fine, and it’s completely OK for you to clarify. That’s discussion and that’s constructive. Admonishing someone because their description doesn’t fit your experiences, when you are in a very small minority, is part of the woke problem we are experiencing in society today.
Using personal experience is not persuasive. “Woke” is entirely based on personal experience but it apparently doesn’t fit your experience.

So why not skip the political lecturing and use of buzz words and just deal with something objective that we can all understand. OK?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not to further derail the thread (I know too late) but if I connect some dots on the point NE Stinger is bringing up I'd agree it seems lazy to just chalk it up to "government"/"bureaucracy" because that is not something unique to GT. We're competing entirely with other entities who have to deal with the same/similar bureaucratic challenges and many are not tripping over themselves in the same ways that GT seems to. At that point I'd point to leadership but don't know enough about it to say much more. Certainly interested if others have actual insight.

Anyways, glad to hear it sounds like coach is understanding he needs 6 wins and not laughing off bowl expectations. Excited to see a revamped offense Monday night.
THANK YOU! That was my point. Something seems to happen at Tech that is different and using buzz words doesn’t explain why other similar organizations are humming along.