CGC Radio Show

JacketFan137

Banned
at least they got to ask em.
do we really gain anything by some fans asking some gotcha questions about how bad we’ve been?

we would end up with a pretty canned response like “we haven’t been where we wanna be, but this group of guys has been putting in the work all off season to give the fans something to be excited about. we just can’t wait to get on the field for an live game vs an ELITE opponent like clemson in mercedes benz stadium.”

people would complain and it would just breed more toxicity and vitriol for the program. nothing really positive could come from it

JacketFan137

Banned
Very, very low if not zero. TBH, outside of Steve Spurrier and Mike Leach they all sound alike to me.
i think they all fit into different archetypes.

saban wannabes who are hyper critical of everything. beat an FCS team by 40 and act mad to the press about how the team didn’t play well and they have a long way to go. also pretend like a they could get caught by anyone including charleston southern/directional missouri tech/whoever.

dabo archetypes who constantly sell the program always have stats. see dabo always saying something weird like “clemson is the first team to open the season with a win over a top 5 ranked sec opponent after winning a bowl game vs a top 8 big 10 opponent.” also pushes the phrase of the season a la dan quinn. something something brotherhood.

leach archetypes who are weird and quirky. definitely good as an outsider but i think having to listen to it weekly would remove the appeal. much prefer to observe from afar when an exceptionally zany quote goes viral

spurrier types which are few and far between but the funniest. that guy could have done a standup tour in his heyday just off uga hate material.

boring guys. think malzahn, bill belichick, paul johnson occasionally. media to them is an obligation. not an opportunity to sell the program for them and they would 1000% not be there if they weren’t fulfilling a job requirement. hard to get to this point without gaining respect on the way up. have seen that media will turn on these guys FAST if the results aren’t there

for the most part every coach falls into line with one of those. when you win no one cares but when you lose everyone picks apart what you have to say 10x harder

slugboy

Staff member
What are the chances he says something that other coaches don’t say?
I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I think Paul Johnson had the most interesting call-in show. O’Leary didn’t really say much, and neither did Gailey or Ross or Curry. Lewis’ show was a fiasco.
If I listen to a Collins coach’s show, it’s because an assistant is coming on the show and saying something interesting.
Coach’s shows are a holdover from when there was little to no coverage of your team, and Tech was on TV a few times a year. There’s just so much coverage these days, there isn’t much “news” in any coach’s show.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I think Paul Johnson had the most interesting call-in show. O’Leary didn’t really say much, and neither did Gailey or Ross or Curry. Lewis’ show was a fiasco.
If I listen to a Collins coach’s show, it’s because an assistant is coming on the show and saying something interesting.
Coach’s shows are a holdover from when there was little to no coverage of your team, and Tech was on TV a few times a year. There’s just so much coverage these days, there isn’t much “news” in any coach’s show.
I enrolled fall of 1977. The best Tech coach's show BY FAR was Pepper Rodgers' weekly TV show. It was the most entertaining show and stood out among the masses of coaches droning on and showing some some film clips of the blocking scheme for how to run a guard trap play. Pepper had a guest celebrity on each week. My favorite was the Training Table segment with Julia Child! Pepper in his old gold chef jacket and toque and enticing recruits to "come to Georgia Tech, you'll have good food to eat!" and then offering Julia a job. She clearly was enjoying herself with a big smile on her face and laughing out loud a lot as Pepper riffed his funny comments. She said later she had a ball on this show.

Pepper won, too! (including at Kansas and UCLA, and at Tech)

(I have this same Corningware baking dish set)

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He could spend some time talking about how they're going to improve in-game decision making, what steps are being taken to get plays called in on time, how we're going manage subsitutions so we have the right number of players on the field AND the ones we want on the field for the plays we want to run or the defense we want to be in, what we're doing to make more 40yd FGs than we miss, who's taught him not to blow his timeouts, what is being done about OL blocking, Sims footwork and throwing mechanics, how the defense is going to make sure they're all running the same scheme, etc. You know, football stuff. That would go a long way. He could also add what's being done to restore discipline to the team & getting them to play as a team and not individuals.