CGC on Marty Smith's America the Podcast

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He's not going to come out and starting predicting win totals and stuff like that. What coach does?
He kinda predicted a minimum win total (reach a bowl game) at the end of his first year for year 2. But he was wrong so its probably not a good thing to try again.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
He kinda predicted a minimum win total (reach a bowl game) at the end of his first year for year 2. But he was wrong so its probably not a good thing to try again.
Well I’m pretty sure we could’ve actually gone to a bowl game if we’d wanted to last year so he wasn’t that far off.

If We weren’t so banged up, at the end of the year, I bet we would’ve gone bowling.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well I’m pretty sure we could’ve actually gone to a bowl game if we’d wanted to last year so he wasn’t that far off.

If We weren’t so banged up, at the end of the year, I bet we would’ve gone bowling.
We had 3 wins. He was very far off.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey big guy, his prediction was based on a normal season where 6 wins would be the qualifier, he didn't know COVID was coming to alter the qualifying requirements. His prediction was wrong.
I don’t remember him making that prediction. Must have missed it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey big guy, his prediction was based on a normal season where 6 wins would be the qualifier, he didn't know COVID was coming to alter the qualifying requirements. His prediction was wrong.
So if he didn’t know Covid was coming to alter the requirements, do you think he knew that Covid would cancel the rest of Soring practice, all summer workouts, and alter how they would practice in the Fall? Did he also know that the schedule would change completely?

You think any of that may have changed his predictions? Especially with a true freshman starting at the most important position on the field?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe his statement was something along the lines of "We won't be sitting at home next December," implying we would be in a bowl game in 2020.
Turns out he was right.

Could’ve played 2 more games in December if we had a healthy QB at the end of the year or at least half our DL.

Attachments

• 28251F51-735E-4D96-B5CB-2FE563A6D07F.jpeg
    28251F51-735E-4D96-B5CB-2FE563A6D07F.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 13

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
So if he didn’t know Covid was coming to alter the requirements, do you think he knew that Covid would cancel the rest of Soring practice, all summer workouts, and alter how they would practice in the Fall? Did he also know that the schedule would change completely?

You think any of that may have changed his predictions? Especially with a true freshman starting at the most important position on the field?
No, of course he didn't know that, that's part of making a prediction - nobody can forsee that stuff, which was my point. He made a bad prediction, and is not likely to do it again.
Turns out he was right.

Could’ve played 2 more games in December if we had a healthy QB at the end of the year or at least half our DL.
Trying to argue from both sides, interesting choice. He may have specifically said December, he may not have - finding the quote is a little difficult when I'm not sure exactly when it was said. The point of the quote is still that he was implying we would be in a bowl game. Playing a regular season game in December because of screwed up schedules or arguing that everyone was bowl eligible is dishonest to the spirit of what he said and only trying to validate it through technicalities.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. I want those things too, especially if we'll get a meaningful answer (we won't).

That said, this was a national interview. No one outside of our fanbase really cares about those things you mention. Smith intentionally took an angle that emphasized something unique, or at least nontraditional, that better suits the 95% of the audience that couldn't care less whether we will make FG this year or not.

Our local media, or the ESPN ACC-dedicated reporters, will push into the roster stuff over the next 60 days. Since you're not new to this, I'm confident that you already know we'll hear the uncreative questions from our local reporters asking for an opinion of every individual player based on position group/position coach. "Oh, it's Coach Coleman today. Let's go down the roster card and ask about Domineck, Ivey, Kennard, Clayton, Collins, etc."
  • Q: "What freshman has caught your eye?" A: "They're all stepping up. See a lot of good things out of everybody."
  • Q: "What does xyz freshman need to do to see the field?" A: "More consistency."
  • Q: "You're old now. Are you a leader?" A: "I like to lead by example"
  • Q: "Coach, how important is it that your team is healthy and that you have more depth?" A: "Not important at all. We hate depth." (just checking if you're still reading?)
Most of what we learn will be when Toe Meets Leather.
You forgot one answer: "They all came highly recommended."

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
No, of course he didn't know that, that's part of making a prediction - nobody can forsee that stuff, which was my point. He made a bad prediction, and is not likely to do it again.

Trying to argue from both sides, interesting choice. He may have specifically said December, he may not have - finding the quote is a little difficult when I'm not sure exactly when it was said. The point of the quote is still that he was implying we would be in a bowl game. Playing a regular season game in December because of screwed up schedules or arguing that everyone was bowl eligible is dishonest to the spirit of what he said and only trying to validate it through technicalities.
Interesting is a GT fan going out of his way to pull some gotcha on the coach and other fans. Look at the entire situation with a little nuance such as factoring in the rebuild, the covid pandemic, and the schedule. I think almost everyone realized that there was going to be a rough period after Paul Johnson because of the makeup of the team (zero tight ends, smaller OL, no passing QBs etc....). Collins has done as good a job as he could on the recruiting trail but even the battles he's won it takes time to develop those players. You expect Sims to walk in as a true freshman and be the 22 year old version of Vince Young? It's just not realistic. All the mental mistakes like penalties are definitely a concern and hopefully get cleaned up this year but I will never understand the few of you that piss on this program 24/7 and call yourselves fans.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly off topic, but I am curious whether Coach Collins will make the rounds to local Tech clubs anytime soon. Lord knows, the football program could use some energetic promotion outside of Atlanta…

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Holding ANYONE to a prediction about last year made prior to the pandemic is disingenuous and dishonest to the spirit of what was said.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't criticizing anything Collins said. I would just like to see interviewers ask him something about GT football every once in a while. I don't need him to give win predictions. Ask him about the progression of some of our younger players. Ask him about the transfers and which ones he is excited about. Ask him if he thinks we are in a better position in the kicking game. There are a few million football related questions to ask that might give some insight into the team and build some excitement for the coming season. Some of this is probably on me. When the first question is about his philosophical approach to life I probably should have bailed.
All the questions you want asked are only answered in one place - the field during a game. Do you really think he is going to play favorites regarding the transfers and say “player X and Z have me excited but player Y sucks and I wish we hadn’t let him transfer here”. No one, including him, knows if the kicking game is any good just like no coach knows. That’s determined with thousands of fans screaming and pressure being applied to the snapper, holder, and kicker. I know we all want answers but the true answers will be revealed on game days. Let me answer - “How is Sims looking going into his 2nd season?”, “He looks great. He did all the little things during the off season, bonded with his teammates, and hit the weight room. How he’ll do with a blitz in his face and a receiver running the wrong route, I have no clue.”